[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Got mentioned in the NY Times

Sugar Magnolia

Our brief brush of notoriety, even if it is just a paragraph. We are on page three of the column as Mr. Gage and his wife. It does sound like my husband, Mr. Gage, was the financial support in our family but we both had equal incomes which is why we were able to leave "the rat race" early.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/05/technolo...amp;oref=slogin

Our brief brush of notoriety, even if it is just a paragraph. We are on page three of the column as Mr. Gage and his wife. It does sound like my husband, Mr. Gage, was the financial support in our family but we both had equal incomes which is why we were able to leave "the rat race" early.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/05/technolo...amp;oref=slogin

:D

Can I borrow a couple bucks? :D

:D But, can you do the Sunday crossword puzzle?

Oh, and one more reason why Oregonians hate Californians, because we save up and move up there, where the land is still cheap... and maybe even more beautiful. Kudos on the well-earned early "retirement".

:D But, can you do the Sunday crossword puzzle?

Oh, and one more reason why Oregonians hate Californians, because we save up and move up there, where the land is still cheap... and maybe even more beautiful. Kudos on the well-earned early "retirement".

Nope, can't do a crossword puzzle to save my life.

Because of us Californians moving to Bend, we have a highest cost of living in Oregon-especially real estate- but wages are a lot lower than Portland, a thriving and healthy metropolis. I haven't found anyone who hates me, but my friends are all transplants and mostly from California.

Edited by Sugar Magnolia

Anybody else find it amazing all these people are still beavering away like maniacs because "a few million ain't what it used to be"? :D

I was left with the same thought... except it is true that it is so expensive to live in No. Cal. We would have had to work another 3-4 years to feel comfortable retiring in California, and we don't have kids to put through college or leave an inheritance. I think it's ludicrous to feel you still have to work with a networth of 10 mil., but if you have kids 5 mil is minimum, I think, and still live in the SF Bay Area.

The feature article is about our friend, Hal Steger-and he brought our name up to the journalist. BTW, he was the one who introduced me to FF. He has two teenage daughters, one of whom has had to kidney transplant, with the kidney given by her mother. She has a rare disease and a doctor at Stanford and one in France were the only doctors in the world with experience with the auto-immune disease. Out of pocket has cost them six figures to help her as her medical bills have risen well beyond a mil. She will probably need at least one more transplant, maybe two, in her lifetime. They still have two kids to put through college. Their 1.3 million dollar house is a 2800 sq. ft. very simple tract home.

I think the point of the article is how much income is required to live in the Silicon Valley, and you just get caught up in wanting more and more-this is why we got away and don't miss the lifestyle at all except for good restuarants and a plethora of fresh herbs and veggies and seafood.

Nope, can't do a crossword puzzle to save my life.

Because of us Californians moving to Bend, we have a highest cost of living in Oregon-especially real estate- but wages are a lot lower than Portland, a thriving and healthy metropolis. I haven't found anyone who hates me, but my friends are all transplants and mostly from California.

I met a lot of folks in Eugene, when I lived there, that had a chip on their shoulder against Californians. It was never hostility, more resignation to the fact that the word had gotten out about how nice, and relatively cheap, it is up there.

This is what you Californians do to my house.

Thank you Nancy Peloti.

*Top 20 Metropolitan Statistical Areas and Divisions WithHighest Rates of House Price AppreciationPercent Change in House Prices with MSA RankingsPeriod Ended March 31, 2007(Estimates use all-transactions HPI which includes purchase and refinance mortgages)MSANational                     Ranking** 1-Yr.   Qtr.   5-Yr.[b]Wenatchee, WA          1    25.60   5.96   70.56[/b]Provo-Orem, UT            2    19.67   3.03   43.85Salt Lake City, UT        3    19.12   2.96   53.24Grand Junction, CO        4    16.82   2.56   60.11Ogden-Clearfield, UT      5    15.70   3.07   34.81Gulfport-Biloxi, MS       6    15.16   4.77   52.37Myrtle Beach-Conway-North Myrtle Beach, SC 7 14.87 1.76 69.10Boise City-Nampa, ID      8    14.54   1.96   70.86Corvallis, OR             9    13.87   1.46   52.22Bend, OR                  10    13.67   0.37  100.87Spokane, WA               11   13.64   2.20   66.42Asheville, NC             12   13.57   3.18   56.65Salem, OR                 13   13.44   1.85   53.03Longview, WA              14   12.89   1.81  53.51Las Cruces, NM            15    12.62  2.50  60.13Seattle-Bellevue-Everett, WA (MSAD) 16 12.56 2.25 66.25Albuquerque, NM           17    12.18   1.64   57.18Wilmington, NC            18    12.14    1.72   69.48Tacoma, WA (MSAD)         19    11.90   1.52    76.09

“The pressures to spend more are everywhere.”

And this is the #1 reason people are broke. Just say no to debt to keep up with yer loser neighbors.

I also moved to the country to get more house than I could in the city. Only wish I'd done it sooner.

Interesting read.

This is one reason we live in KC ... my clients could care less about where I live, so why not be where it's inexpensive, close to family, nice, etc.

I was commenting to a business associate of mine that if I would have tried to start my business in SF or NYC, I would have had to fold up shop a LONG time ago due to the very high cost of doing business there. Here, in KC, everything didn't have to go absolutely perfectly in the first two or three years for me to make it ... I had a bigger room for error.

Now, five and a half years into this, things are progressing pretty well and I'm so glad we're here (vs pretty much anywhere else).

Mr. Kremen estimated his net worth at $10 million. That puts him firmly in the top half of 1 percent among Americans, according to wealth data from the Federal Reserve, but barely in the top echelons in affluent towns like Palo Alto, Menlo Park and Atherton. So he logs 60- to 80-hour workweeks because, he said, he does not think he has nearly enough money to ease up.

“You’re nobody here at $10 million,” Mr. Kremen said earnestly over a glass of pinot noir at an upscale wine bar here.

Check out the ego on this one...

I really just want to live somewhere in a warm climate, have some friends or family around, and by a big city (but doesn't have to be right in the city). In other words, I have to live somewhere expensive. Living in an environment where it doesn't snow is worth a lot of money to me. :D

Edited by TDFFFreak

I think it's ludicrous to feel you still have to work with a networth of 10 mil., but if you have kids 5 mil is minimum, I think, and still live in the SF Bay Area.

Their 1.3 million dollar house is a 2800 sq. ft. very simple tract home.

I can agree, sadly, with these two statements as they pertain to SoCal. Its not quite as bad as up in the Bay area, but in general a six figure income and a (almost) million dollar home just puts you solidly in the middle class around here. Private school bills add to the dilemma, as I have stated in the past.

Now if you'll excuse me, I must get back to work....

Ever had an illegal immigrant weedeat around yer garden gnome head that some rich guy super-glued to your head? Lemme tell ya about it.

No Sir... I'm ashamed to say that I haven't. :D But I don't look down on you because of it. Much.