[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jumbo loans up

Ramhock

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

fwiw, if your household takes in more than $166,000 per year then you are in the 95th income percentile for US households. You might not be rich, but you are taking in more than three times as much money as the median household is bringing home.

That is my goal, but not there yet - not without wifey going back full time. I'm one of the slightly overstretched ones, trying to decide what to do. To avoid her going back and from trading down to a smaller house, (since our kids are only 8, 5 and 2, and we only have 3 bdrms now) my options include:

1) 2nd job (consulting? Flipping burgers or HR Block tax services gig won't cut it) or

2) investing cashflow increase, (i.e. more aggressive, which is a scary thought) or

3) move to an area within SoCal with better schools to avoid the private school thing, or

4) get a big raise or change jobs - not likely soon enough; (aside: I recently interviewed for a gig that would've gotten me there, but didn't get it. Probably because I was honest about what I was making now - damm honesty. I won't make that mistake again...)

These are the things that keep me up at night.

You are correct. I just called Countrywide to see what interest rate I had. I took out my loan in August 2005 at rate of 5.75%. Not as good as 5.0% but its a heck of alot better than 8.0%...

Thats a great rate. I have a 5% 30 year fixed. Being in the business, I pulled the trigger at the right time.

I understand yall wanting to be near family, so I wont argue that point at all. But the quality of life in California is horrible. Yall just dont realize how bad it is because you havent lived other places. Sure, you have the beach and beautiful weather. But our weather aint bad and I am 25 minutes two very large lakes. I am a couple hours from the mountains. If I want to go to the real beach, its about 6 hours to the coast. But all of that stuff doesnt matter. What matters is what is your quality of life? Do you really want to raise your kids in Calithugia? Are you f'n kidding me? The crime, the gangs, the traffic, the smog, the illegals, the congestion, the lifestyle, the materialism, the attitudes, and the way people treat each? No thanks. And I havent even gotten to the cost of living.

I live in a house that is right at 6000 square feet. I live in a neighborhood that is 6 years old and I am at the end of a cul de sac and my house is on 1.25 acres. I live in the wealthiest county in the state of Tennessee, by a mile. I aint lying, ask Steelbunz or H8tank, as they have been to my house. There is no way in he11 I could afford to have even half of this house in Cali. No f'n way! My kids have the most incredible set up anyone can imagine. It takes me 15 minutes to get to work when its not rush hour. If its rush hour, it takes me 16 minutes to get to work. We dont worry about traffic. We dont have gangs. We dont have crime. We dont have smog. We arent over crowded. We dont lock our doors. My kids can go play out in the neighborhood and I aint the least bit worried about them. We are relaxed and laid back, not uptight and stressed out. The first thing people say when they come here is, "my god, these people are so nice. Why are people so friendly". I am not kidding guys. You can have California and its fake ass people and its high cost of living and all the goes with it. I'll stay down here with the poor rednecks who live better than yall can possibly imagine! You can have Hollywood, I'll take Dollywood!

Edited by spain

Do you really want to raise your kids in Calithugia? Are you f'n kidding me? The crime, the gangs, the traffic, the smog, the illegals, the congestion, the lifestyle, the materialism, the attitudes, and the way people treat each? No thanks. And I havent even gotten to the cost of living.

I live in a house that is right at 6000 square feet. I live in a neighborhood that is 6 years old and I am at the end of a cul de sac and my house is on 1.25 acres. I live in the wealthiest county in the state of Tennessee, by a mile. I aint lying, ask Steelbunz or H8tank, as they have been to my house. There is no way in he11 I could afford to have even half of this house in Cali. No f'n way! My kids have the most incredible set up anyone can imagine. It takes me 15 minutes to get to work when its not rush hour. If its rush hour, it takes me 16 minutes to get to work. We dont worry about traffic. We dont have gangs. We dont have crime. We dont have smog. We arent over crowded. We dont lock our doors. My kids can go play out in the neighborhood and I aint the least bit worried about them. We are relaxed and laid back, not uptight and stressed out.

Sounds good - I'm moving. Is the welcome wagon full of Jack Daniels? I will say my little area is free from the gangs/violence/crime thing, and in my town we all get along fine, treating each other with respect, but its hard to argue the rest.

I'm less entrenched here than my wife, but even she talks about moving sometimes. We'll see....

I understand yall wanting to be near family, so I wont argue that point at all. But the quality of life in California is horrible. Yall just dont realize how bad it is because you havent lived other places. Sure, you have the beach and beautiful weather. But our weather aint bad and I am 25 minutes two very large lakes. I am a couple hours from the mountains. If I want to go to the real beach, its about 6 hours to the coast. But all of that stuff doesnt matter. What matters is what is your quality of life? Do you really want to raise your kids in Calithugia? Are you f'n kidding me? The crime, the gangs, the traffic, the smog, the illegals, the congestion, the lifestyle, the materialism, the attitudes, and the way people treat each? No thanks. And I havent even gotten to the cost of living.

I live in a house that is right at 6000 square feet. I live in a neighborhood that is 6 years old and I am at the end of a cul de sac and my house is on 1.25 acres. I live in the wealthiest county in the state of Tennessee, by a mile. I aint lying, ask Steelbunz or H8tank, as they have been to my house. There is no way in he11 I could afford to have even half of this house in Cali. No f'n way! My kids have the most incredible set up anyone can imagine. It takes me 15 minutes to get to work when its not rush hour. If its rush hour, it takes me 16 minutes to get to work. We dont worry about traffic. We dont have gangs. We dont have crime. We dont have smog. We arent over crowded. We dont lock our doors. My kids can go play out in the neighborhood and I aint the least bit worried about them. We are relaxed and laid back, not uptight and stressed out. The first thing people say when they come here is, "my god, these people are so nice. Why are people so friendly". I am not kidding guys. You can have California and its fake ass people and its high cost of living and all the goes with it. I'll stay down here with the poor rednecks who live better than yall can possibly imagine! You can have Hollywood, I'll take Dollywood!

My house is quite similar. More property and a creek. Northwestern Montana is a wonderful place to raise kids. People still wave at you when you drive down the road. :D

And I am 25 minutes from an NFL football stadium and an NHL stadium. How about you folks in Los Angeles? I bet your pass 1000 meth labs, 10,000 crack houses, and 10,000,000 illegals on your way to the nearest NFL stadium.

My house is quite similar. More property and a creek. Northwestern Montana is a wonderful place to raise kids. People still wave at you when you drive down the road. :D

Thats beauty country up there. I would definitely consider it except I hate cold weather. The cold weather factor brings my quality of life quotient way down. Other than that, Montana would be awesome!

What's funny is because my BIL lives in Nashville, it is one of the few places my wife would consider moving to. Now, if I could get paid the same to do what I do I'd really strongly consider going.

We can share a moving van then! Save some more $....

What's funny is because my BIL lives in Nashville, it is one of the few places my wife would consider moving to. Now, if I could get paid the same to do what I do I'd really strongly consider going.

The pay would really depend on your profession I would think.

Can I come work for you and move my family into your mansion... :D

Kalifornia is crazy. Our house in East Texas is right at 4000sf, and I think we paid a hair under $275,000 for it. My sister-in-law that lives in Kalifornia has a house less than 1/3 the size of ours, and paid over twice as much. That is just insane. I'll take my low cost of living, the 10 acres 15 acres of woods behind my house, and 7 minute drive to work all day every day over the outrageous cost of living in Kalifornia.

Can I come work for you and move my family into your mansion... :D

I forgot to mention that 99% of the people in my county are conservatives and they vote at a rate of about 95% Republican. So, your leftist views will be openly derided and you will suffer humiliation and public ridicule. Just ask Al Gore over in his 25,000 square foot mansion...

I forgot to mention that 99% of the people in my county are conservatives and they vote at a rate of about 95% Republican. So, your leftist views will be openly derided and you will suffer humiliation and public ridicule. Just ask Al Gore over in his 25,000 square foot mansion...

My brother in law, the prankster, for quite a while (before he moved) kept putting up Obama signs in the yard of one of his more conservative Republican neighbors. He never got caught and the guy got quite upset. My brother in law is a recovering hard line Republican, though while still quite conservative, he no longer is so very strict in view with party lines.

Kalifornia is crazy. Our house in East Texas is right at 4000sf, and I think we paid a hair under $275,000 for it. My sister-in-law that lives in Kalifornia has a house less than 1/3 the size of ours, and paid over twice as much. That is just insane. I'll take my low cost of living, the 10 acres 15 acres of woods behind my house, and 7 minute drive to work all day every day over the outrageous cost of living in Kalifornia.

Did you buy around the same time? Just curious becasue of the insane price jumps the last few years, if she bought a year or two after you did, it may well have been a house priced similarly to yours.

Did you buy around the same time? Just curious becasue of the insane price jumps the last few years, if she bought a year or two after you did, it may well have been a house priced similarly to yours.

We've been in our house roughly 4 years. I'm pretty sure she has been in hers about the same amount of time. She might have even bought hers a little bit before we bought ours.

Yup, depends upon location.

West Coast, upper East Coast, Florida, Arizona, etc = $$$

You can rarely find a house near Seattle for under $300,000 and it'll have a half-moon on the front door.

If you even get to own the land underneath, it's probably 4,000 square feet of dirt. Reach out and touch your neighbor's wall.

If you do find a house (with land) lower than that, you're living 45 minutes away.

Los Angeles area = good luck finding anything under $550,000. That's a nice 900 square foot home. Sweet!

San Diego prices have tumbled over the last year. Almost getting affordable there.

Like mentioned, San Fran and NYC apartment rentals are house payment equivalents.

Had me seriously looking at the Austin, TX and Greensboro, NC type areas. Very nice houses for half the price.

Edited by Riffraff