[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Goodbye Mortgage Interest Tax Credit

Savage Beatings

Congressman Dingell is a genius. He will fix global warming by simply screwing over the middle class. He has said that when Congress reconvenes next month, he will propose legislation to eliminate the mortgage interest tax credit, for what he defines as a McMansion (any home over 3,000 square feet).

This would affect probably close to 10 Million people. But hey, in his eyes, they can afford it so let's turn the screws. :D

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congressman Dingell is a genius. He will fix global warming by simply screwing over the middle class. He has said that when Congress reconvenes next month, he will propose legislation to eliminate the mortgage interest tax credit, for what he defines as a McMansion (any home over 3,000 square feet).

This would affect probably close to 10 Million people. But hey, in his eyes, they can afford it so let's turn the screws. :D

Always ask liberals to define wealthy in terms of family income. They never want to answer that. Same thing in 2000 and 2004 campaign. No candidate chose to answer that question.

f'n Liberals. :D

Honestly, this is un-passable. He must have something else in that bill he wants, and is putting that part in there to force someone's hand or as a scare tactic. Notice that he is "working" on it, just like it will be "in committee" for years.

Well, in all fairness, its a deduction: not a credit. And strong earners don't even get a dollar for dollar deduction for their interest, as those deductions become phased out once you start making "too much" money. Plus, there are already caps on the size of mortgages upon which interest can be deducted in the first place. I guess my point is that limiting the deductibility of mortgage interest isn't a new idea.

Well, in all fairness, its a deduction: not a credit. And strong earners don't even get a dollar for dollar deduction for their interest, as those deductions become phased out once you start making "too much" money. Plus, there are already caps on the size of mortgages upon which interest can be deducted in the first place. I guess my point is that limiting the deductibility of mortgage interest isn't a new idea.

Hippie.

Can't happen.... the forclosure rate is already so high it's threatening a major recession coming from the housing market. The entire economy would collapse.... but then again, the idiots in Washington just might do it, on second thought....

Can't happen.... the forclosure rate is already so high it's threatening a major recession coming from the housing market. The entire economy would collapse.... but then again, the idiots in Washington just might do it, on second thought....

If the economy is collapsing because people aren't getting a few grand shaved off their gross income, it was going to collapse anyway.

Why should I as a renter subsidize you as an owner by paying for a quarter of your mortage interest when I don't get any benefit and am stuck with the lower standard deduction? :D

(Of course I'll switch sides when I finally do buy a home.) :D

There is NO WAY this bill will even get on the vote for discussion. Someone is just trying to make a name for himself and the real estate community would fight this legistration tooth and nail. How in the heck to you even determine how large the house would need to be to NOT be included in the mortgage deduction... I am sure everyone would be honest and forthright and tell Uncle Sam, well, my house is 3,120 S.F. so I will not deduct my mortgage interest on Sch. A.... Like that will ever happen. :D

Why should I as a renter subsidize you as an owner by paying for a quarter of your mortage interest when I don't get any benefit and am stuck with the lower standard deduction? :D

(Of course I'll switch sides when I finally do buy a home.) :D

And as a renter how many of your kids flood the schools without paying a dime in Property taxes.

Free lunches/breakfast and so forth. Many renters dont even have to buy school supplies.

Dont even give me the sob story that is included in your rent.

And as a renter how many of your kids flood the schools without paying a dime in Property taxes.

Free lunches/breakfast and so forth. Many renters dont even have to buy school supplies.

Dont even give me the sob story that is included in your rent.

Truth be told here.

There is zero chance this will get passed with our economy showing signs of a recession.

Unless you have 12 children, who needs more than 3k sq. ft. of living space anyhow? :D:D

Who's to judge what is the appropriate amount of living space for a family? This is just more of the typical class warfare the left continues to try ignite. More than likely those of us who have a house larger than 3k sq ft are already paying a greater percentage in taxes on our income anyway. So now the libs are wanting to pile on more?