[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If Ronnie Brown isn't a starter what impact...?

Jeff MacMillan

I am not suggesting Ronnie Brown isn't going to be the starter this year. But, Rotoworld is panicking over him right now.

Looking at his stats, he's got 33 receptions last year. He isn't the world's best Reggie Bush style RB by a longshot. 33 receptions with some of his receptions leading to negative yardage.

So.... If some bizarre thing happens with Ronnie Brown no longer the starter on the team or if his role simply changes,

I personally would (NOT) Value Ronnie Brown as RB2. He would instead be a solid RB3. I'd move Jerious Norwood ahead of Ronnie Brown.

According to Rotoworld, the status of Ronnie Brown will be known next week Monday.

So, I guess I'll hold my breath. :D

My League is a PPR league.

Edited by Jeff MacMillan

I am not suggesting Ronnie Brown isn't going to be the starter this year. But, Rotoworld is panicking over him right now.

Looking at his stats, he's got 33 receptions last year. He isn't the world's best Reggie Bush style RB by a longshot. 33 receptions with some of his receptions leading to negative yardage.

So.... If some bizarre thing happens with Ronnie Brown no longer the starter on the team or if his role simply changes,

I personally would (NOT) Value Ronnie Brown as RB2. He would instead be a solid RB3. I'd move Jerious Norwood ahead of Ronnie Brown.

According to Rotoworld, the status of Ronnie Brown will be known next week Monday.

So, I guess I'll hold my breath. :D

My League is a PPR league.

A few things worry me about Brown: he was dinged up last year and showed up overweight in the offseason. This makes me question his heart and desire. Next I wonder if the o-line really is any better than last year, and finally I have my doubts that Green will play 16 games. These questions together cause me to rank him in the mid teens, Benson and Edge territory. He has significant risk but undeniable upside if everything falls into place.

That said, the idea that he won't carry the majority of the load or be in some kind of RBBC is news to me. I would be shocked if he wasn't the feature back with Booker/Chatman only in to spell him for ~10 carries per game, Brown getting 20-25. If this does turn into a RBBC, then obviously you move him down significantly.

A few things worry me about Brown: he was dinged up last year and showed up overweight in the offseason. This makes me question his heart and desire. Next I wonder if the o-line really is any better than last year, and finally I have my doubts that Green will play 16 games. These questions together cause me to rank him in the mid teens, Benson and Edge territory. He has significant risk but undeniable upside if everything falls into place.

That said, the idea that he won't carry the majority of the load or be in some kind of RBBC is news to me. I would be shocked if he wasn't the feature back with Booker/Chatman only in to spell him for ~10 carries per game, Brown getting 20-25. If this does turn into a RBBC, then obviously you move him down significantly.

No way the 'Phins log 30-35 rushes per game. They will be trailing most every game and will not be afforded that luxury....

The guy is returning kickoffs in preseason. He's scored 10 TDs in 26 starts. And even if the coach is "declaring the starter" just for motivation -- well, the fact that he needs motivation is a concern as well. At best, it's beginning to look like RBBC ... on a crappy team with a bad line.

For those who haven't seen it, here's the article from yesterday's Miami Herald ...

By ARMANDO SALGUERO

asalguero@MiamiHerald.com

Who will win the Dolphins' starting running back job -- incumbent Ronnie Brown, left, or newcomer Jesse Chatman.The running back competition that no one knew existed a couple of weeks ago is supposed to end by Monday, when coach Cam Cameron announces that either Ronnie Brown or Jesse Chatman will carry the ball and the Dolphins' running game this season.

Cameron's decision on which name he will put ahead of the other on the depth chart is pretty much made now because his chance to evaluate the players has passed.

Neither Chatman nor Brown will play in the final exhibition game against New Orleans, Cameron confirmed Tuesday, and the Dolphins already are finished with their preseason practices.

So the next time Miami practices in pads, it will be in preparation for the regular-season opener against Washington. And it will be with either Brown or Chatman taking snaps as the starting running back.

But all the hype surrounding who the mystery starter will be -- the guess here is Brown, by the way -- misses bigger issues surrounding the position.

It is, you see, not so important which player starts. It's which player gets more carries that matters.

It is not important which player will be named the starter at the beginning of the season. It's which player is the man at the end of the season that matters.

''I think [the competition] will continue,'' Brown said, signaling the likelihood that Cameron's decision on a starter for the opener might not be permanent. ``We're going to come out and compete each day and try to make each other better.

``We're both going to be in there and have the same goals as far as winning football games. So if I can come out and make him better by competing, and he does the same for me, I think it will help the team throughout the season.''

SURPRISINGLY CLOSE

It is telling that after an entire preseason of evaluation, Brown has not significantly distinguished himself over Chatman. Given that Brown is a former No. 2 overall draft pick and Chatman was overweight and out of the game last season, this race shouldn't be close.

And it wouldn't be close if the Dolphins hadn't changed coaches. It wasn't before Chatman lost 60 pounds. The issue would be moot had Brown not been such an offseason disappointment that he basically got his position coach fired before training camp began.

But all those things happened, and now Brown and Chatman, Chatman and Brown, are No. 1 and No. 1A to Cameron.

''I think we have two running backs that on first and second down we can all feel good about in Ronnie and Jesse,'' Cameron said. ``I think they're both ascending players -- they better be, right? They've both done some good things.''

Only one of them will be selected to run out of the tunnel with the rest of the starters before the Washington game.

But it shouldn't surprise if the other guy gets just as many carries while Cameron sorts out who is better from play to play.

And unless one or the other can snatch the job as if it were a Trent Green handoff, something neither has done, the naming of the starting running back might become a weekly soap opera for the Dolphins.

MOTIVATION FACTOR

That wouldn't be such a bad thing. Brown seems to need the motivation a competition can offer. And he has no problem with sharing running back duties, which he did in college.

Chatman seems pretty open to the idea of sharing, as well.

''If he's the starter, he's the starter,'' Chatman said. ``If I am, that's great.''

The two men, locked in this competition, finished their duties following the Tampa Bay exhibition game Saturday and headed to dinner at Prime 112 on Miami Beach.

''Jesse and myself, we hang out,'' Brown said. ``We went out to eat and we were kicking it and he came over to the house.

``As long as you keep everything in perspective, that we're fighting for the same thing, we'll be fine. We both want the job, but we both want to do what we can to make the team better.''

And that, too, is much more important than having either Brown or Chatman named the starting running back.

Ronnie Brown reminds me so much of Kevan Barlow of a few years back. 6' 230+ RB's overhyped by the fantasy community, both with weight issues, neither of whom will set the world on fire as the man but produce max results in time shares.

I don't think Brown's career will go down the toilet like Barlow's. (For one Brown has no known attitude issues. Nowadays, the only thing that sucks more than Barlow's attitude is his ability. Hope you enjoyed the NFL Kevan. Peace out).

IMHO Unless Cam Cameron gets Lorenzo Booker heavily involved there as a change of pace guy (in the same fashion Sean Peyton uses Bush/Deuce in N.O.), Brown's career will only continue to head downwards if he's continually given a heavy workload.

FWIW I don't believe Chatman's any threat to Brown's starting job. Chatman would take over when Brown goes down. I actually believe Booker will be used a lot more with Brown come regular season than Chatman.

Edited by cory_n_az

I really like Cam's first draft myself with Ginn, Beck and Booker highlighting. He got playmakers and that's exactly what this team needed. Throwing the ball time after time to Chambers and watching him drop pass after pass wasn't working.

The Phins will be really bad for a couple years. But I feel they'll stick by him. Especially if Beck/Ginn/Booker show any promise. Hopefully he pulls the plug on the Trent Green experiment quickly. The sooner the better.

I just can't understand the hype. I'd personally much rather have Benson or Edge over Brown, and I don't even like either of those guys. Brown's done nothing since coming into the league, has a bad O-line, and the offence in general will be pretty bad with a brittle 35 year old QB who's learning the system. What's there to like? Add in pressure from Chatman and Booker, and I just don't see why people are high on this guy.

Personally I think this is all a motivational ploy for the most part. The notion that a 28 year old RB that did not even play last year and was 60 pounds overweight will win the job over Brown is jaw dropping. Jesse Chatman played for five years and hasn't had an actual carry since 2004. In his five year career, his TOTAL numbers are 79 carries for 428 yards and 3 scores which almost entirely came in 2004 before the Chargers (and Cam Cameron) dumped him. His background is almost laughable to be considered for a starting job.

Brown showed up last spring overweigtht himself and got his position coach fired. That was not cool to Cameron understandably but Brown came into camp in good shape. At best this is some very odd motivational ploy but man, this is one of the oddest set of moves I have seen from a new coach. It all started with taking Ginn so early in the draft too.

What bothers me just as much as this is that Cameron is shopping the only decent WR (Chambers) he has around for a trade? I can understand that Chambers may be overpriced in the longrun, but right before the season starts? Does Cameron want the first pick in the NFL draft next April? Cameron is supposed to be a big time offensive mind and he is running the offense here and calling the plays too. But what in the heck he is doing this month is rather perplexing.

I picked up Chatman on the off chance he gets some playing time. I'd rather have him on my bench than somebody else's bench.

I took Booker, Chatman no way , but Booker has the youth and potential to steal playing time, the rest of the BS is merely motivational jargon aimed at Brown.

Personally I think this is all a motivational ploy for the most part. The notion that a 28 year old RB that did not even play last year and was 60 pounds overweight will win the job over Brown is jaw dropping. Jesse Chatman played for five years and hasn't had an actual carry since 2004. In his five year career, his TOTAL numbers are 79 carries for 428 yards and 3 scores which almost entirely came in 2004 before the Chargers (and Cam Cameron) dumped him. His background is almost laughable to be considered for a starting job.

Brown showed up last spring overweigtht himself and got his position coach fired. That was not cool to Cameron understandably but Brown came into camp in good shape. At best this is some very odd motivational ploy but man, this is one of the oddest set of moves I have seen from a new coach. It all started with taking Ginn so early in the draft too.

What bothers me just as much as this is that Cameron is shopping the only decent WR (Chambers) he has around for a trade? I can understand that Chambers may be overpriced in the longrun, but right before the season starts? Does Cameron want the first pick in the NFL draft next April? Cameron is supposed to be a big time offensive mind and he is running the offense here and calling the plays too. But what in the heck he is doing this month is rather perplexing.

The sad thing is that the over-weight 28 year old RB who's done nothing has looked good as Ronnie Brown. Good enough that the head coach was speculating who would start. Of course it will be Brown, but it says allot about Brown that this has even come up. I can't imagine why you'd pick him in a fantasy league.

Yet another reason early ff drafts blow.

I took Brown 1.07 in a 16 team field three weeks ago, and will like take the sausage early and often this year as a result. :D

WOW...I don't recall any mocks having him that high, even mocks that took place a couple of months ago.

WOW...I don't recall any mocks having him that high, even mocks that took place a couple of months ago.

Wasn't mocks. Was theHuddle rankings.

August 10th they were:

LT

SJax

Gore

LJ

SA

Addai

Ronnie Brown

Parker

Rudi

Henry

Westy

Benson

Maroney

Portis

So seemed logical at the time... :D

Took DeAngelo Williams way too high also. He was ranked 24th then.

Edited by cre8tiff

Wasn't mocks. Was theHuddle rankings.

August 10th they were:

LT

SJax

Gore

LJ

SA

Addai

Ronnie Brown

Parker

Rudi

Henry

Westy

Brown over Westy, Henry, RUDI (?) seems like the Huddle has some questionable advice no matter what month this list was made.

Brown over Westy, Henry, RUDI (?) seems like the Huddle has some questionable advice no matter what month this list was made.

Honestly, I drank that Kool-Aide because I owned him as a RB2 due to injury the last half of last year. I watched quite a few Miami games and the thing was, he wass ALWAYS open after the release of his blocks, but for some reason they refused to throw it to him. When they did, it was usually late out of the gun, and though he would catch it, the OLB or back had him wrapped up right after the ball got there.

With that in mind, Cam's offense likes to get the RB the ball. There was no reason not to think that he, while no LT, wouldn't do better in a system where he was going to catch passes out of the backfield. Hopefully he will prove everyone wrong, but at this point, I've little hope.

Taught me a valuable lesson though. Those early season ff draft picks are better to be low-risk than high-ranked.

He did catch 30 last year while missing several games so maybe pro-rate him to close to 50 which is where he gets his ups liek Westy, but I just don't like Miamis offence unlike say Philly or Denver or Cinci.

I mean if you like Addai b/c he plays with Indy same should go for rudi and henry and westy since they are in top 10 offences.

:D

You don't really believe that, do you? You're saying that maybe Ronnie Brown, 1 guy, is the reason Saban bailed out to Alabama?

No. But definitely conceivable that he was one of many problems the Dolphins have, to go along with their terrible Oline, lack of a QB, aging defense, and garbage WRs.