[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Animal Question

Hugh 0ne

Some background information: We have a fenced in back yard. My two dogs have the run of said back yard. They can go in and out through a dog door. However, if we're not home, the dogs are in the house, and the dog door is closed. My dogs are Weimaraners, German hunting dogs. The chase, and occasionally catch and kill chipmunks and squirrels. They're good dogs, and aside from and isolated incident with my male, very good natured.

The scenario: We had new neighbors move in a few weeks ago. They are obivously gay, even though it's a guy and a girl, because they own cats. They have 3 cats. The cats are outdoor cats and have free reign. One of these cats decided to come into my back yard on Sunday. My two dogs tore after the cat and had it cornered behind the shed. Now I'm not sure what they would have done with it if they caught it, but I've seen what they did to the squirrels, and again, they're hunting dogs so they have certain instincts. Anywho, the cat made a b-line for it, and probably missed getting caught by my male dog by about 6 inches. I'm thinking he would have grabbed her, given her the old shakey-shakey, and broke her neck. Of course I'm not sure of this, but it is a possibility. The cat got luck, and climbed about 30 feet up into a tree. The neighbor came over and got the cat down, and was very apologetic.

The question: Would I have been in any way responsible of one of my dogs, in my fenced in back yard, killed my neighbor's cat? I would have felt bad and all, and I certainly wouldn't want my dogs to kill a neighbors cat, but the cat came into my back yard. My fault or not?

Edited by Hugh 0ne

Easy. Not your fault. Not your dogs' fault either. Completely and totally the fault of your neighbors who have let their animals roam free into your secured private property. I suggest you go over to your neighbors' house and give them the old shakey-shakey before this happens again.

What I would be most concerned with is this scenario... they continue to let their cats run free into your yard... your dogs eat one or some of the kitties... the neighbors cry to the right person (some gay cat lover in your local government with a power trip) who comes to take your dogs away and/or put them down. Your neighbors are putting you and your property at risk with their negligent behavior. End it.

Easy. Not your fault. Not your dogs' fault either. Completely and totally the fault of your neighbors who have let their animals roam free into your secured private property. I suggest you go over to your neighbors' house and give them the old shakey-shakey before this happens again.

What I would be most concerned with is this scenario... they continue to let their cats run free into your yard... your dogs eat one or some of the kitties... the neighbors cry to the right person (some gay cat lover in your local government with a power trip) who comes to take your dogs away and/or put them down. Your neighbors are putting you and your property at risk with their negligent behavior. End it.

Yeah definitely go talk to them before anything happens. Warn them your dogs are vicious killers that will maul anything in the yard. :D

Seriously, tell them to keep the cats out or else it is not your responsibility. Maybe even send an email so you have proof of a discussion with them if anything WERE to happen. It is THEIR responibility to keep their animals from trespassing. Might even want to put up a Beware of Dog sign if there isnt one alrerady.

I suggest you go over to your neighbors' house and give them the old shakey-shakey before this happens again.

You want him to over and give his neighbor a hand job? Ya, that'll learn 'em! :D

Interesting question.

I can't imagine that you'd be held responsible.

I agree with a couple of the huddlers above... warn them.

Once that's done, it is out of your hands. Just as you can shoot people on your property, I think your dogs are within their legal rights to eat smaller animals that wander onto your property.

Yeah definitely go talk to them before anything happens. Warn them your dogs are vicious killers that will maul anything in the yard. :D

Seriously, tell them to keep the cats out or else it is not your responsibility. Maybe even send an email so you have proof of a discussion with them if anything WERE to happen. It is THEIR responibility to keep their animals from trespassing. Might even want to put up a Beware of Dog sign if there isnt one alrerady.

Cats can read? :D

Cats are much smarter than they're generally credited for and they will most likely not make the mistake of coming in to your yard again. At least, the one that had the life changing experience won't. They may well learn to sit just outside the fence and drive your dogs insane, though, as Tim said. :D

For absolutely sure, the neighbors would not have a leg to stand on if your dogs kill one of their cats. I think you'll find cats have a special status in law to the effect that they are essentially ungovernable and therefore the owner assumes all risk, or something like that.

Oh - and just because they have cats, they're not ghey. :D

I agree with the majority above, would not be your fault. However, I would talk to your neighbors. Going a little bit out of your way to be friendly up front, can pay hugh dividends down the road. Reader's Digest had a story about a neighbor feud that went bad, and ended with one neighbor calling CPS and accusing the other neighbor of child abuse (apparently was unfounded, but CPS when called will jump first, and maybe apologize later). Back to the advise, talk to the neighbors, and explain to them that the dogs, while friendly and well behaved, are hunting dogs. I would also try to get your neighbors to come over and meet the dogs, while you are there of course. That way they can see the good side of the dogs, rather than dreaming up on their own, that they are vicious killers.

I didn't mean much by it, just that it's kinda common sense that dogs chase cats. Let's just leave it at that.

And I understand that. I was just wondering what people thought if my dogs happened to kill the cats they were chasing. Hence my question.

Cats are much smarter than they're generally credited for and they will most likely not make the mistake of coming in to your yard again. At least, the one that had the life changing experience won't. They may well learn to sit just outside the fence and drive your dogs insane, though, as Tim said. :wacko:

For absolutely sure, the neighbors would not have a leg to stand on if your dogs kill one of their cats. I think you'll find cats have a special status in law to the effect that they are essentially ungovernable and therefore the owner assumes all risk, or something like that.

Oh - and just because they have cats, they're not ghey. :D

No chit. My cats (no I'm not ghey) learned the perimeter of the invisible fence pretty quick, and now sit just outside it :D