[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Travis Henry failed drug test

mrader59

I see everyone going to grab Young. Who's to say Bell won't be the man in 2 weeks, that is if Henry is out at all?

Agree with this. Given Shanahan's history, who's to say that Mike Bell or even Cecil Sapp (who also looked good in limited carries in the preseason) won't be the RB?

Clinton Portis excluded, Shanahan has generally shown a reluctance to start rookie RBs - particularly now with a near rookie QB back there.

But who knows. It's anybody's guess with Shanahan and running backs involved.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

ESPN:

Denver Broncos tailback Travis Henry, the NFL's leading rusher through the first four weeks of the season, is facing a one-year suspension for a repeat violation of the substance abuse policy, multiple sources told ESPN.com on Thursday night.

But in a battle that has reached the federal court system, Henry is attempting to block the league from testing the so-called "B-sample" necessary to confirm the positive test, claiming that NFL officials would not allow his expert to be present for the testing of his specimen.

League vice president of public relations Greg Aiello on Thursday night confirmed that the NFL is involved in the court action with Henry and that the league hopes to have his motion dismissed. Citing confidentiality policies that are a part of the substance abuse program, Aiello declined to address the results of any tests involving Henry.

Henry's attorney, Robert Dapelo, could not be reached.

Henry, 28, was suspended by the league for four games in 2005 because of a repeat violation of the substance abuse policy. The substance for which he tested positive on that occasion is not known. Under the league guidelines, another test within a two-year period would trigger a one-year suspension. Henry would then have to apply for reinstatement and his compliance with the treatment program prescribed for him would be reviewed.

The motion filed by Henry was in Suffolk (N.Y.) County and that court granted a temporary restraining order, precluding the league from testing the second sample. The NFL, however, had an appellate court quash that restraining order.

Aiello said the NFL is attempting to have the case moved to a federal court in Brooklyn, because the collective bargaining agreement and the interpretation of the accord between the league and the NFL Players Association is a matter for federal purview. The league filed those papers on Monday, he said.

The issue being challenged by Henry is that the NFL would not allow his expert to observe the testing of the "B-sample." Although the collective bargaining agreement permits a player to have an expert present for the testing, Aiello said that expert cannot be affiliated with any laboratory. The expert presented by Henry did have such an affiliation.

The league provided Henry with the names of 10 independent experts as reference for his potential use.

If Henry does not prevail, and is suspended, the loss would represent a significant setback for the Broncos, who have lost their last two games. Henry is in his first season in Denver, having signed a five-year, $22.5 million contract in March, only days after he was released by the Tennessee Titans to avoid paying him an $8 million roster bonus.

A seventh-year veteran, Henry has rushed for 433 yards and one touchdown on 86 carries in the first four games of the season. For his career, the former University of Tennessee star has carried 1,407 times for 5,828 yards and 35 rushing touchdowns in stints with Buffalo (2001-2003), the Titans (2004-2006) and the Broncos. He was the Bills' second-round choice in the 2001 draft and was traded to the Titans in 2005.

The top backup to Henry, as listed on the Denver depth chart, is rookie Selvin Young of the University of Texas, an undrafted free agent who has logged 15 carries for 138 yards. Also on the roster is second-year veteran Mike Bell, who rushed for 677 yards and eight scores in 2006, but who is currently listed as a fullback and who has only five carries in 2007.

If Henry is suspended, it might also prompt the Broncos to attempt to recover a portion of any bonus money paid him. As part of his contract, Henry reportedly was guaranteed about $12 million.

Mike bell coming off concussion and even though he had some opportunities last year he never took the starting job by the horns and was passed over ...mike bell may get carries but all indications point to selvin young who when asked has produced very nicely this year

Selvin young owners can smile ...and maybe smile real wide soon

:D Gawd Damn!

Dont be a hatter...Praise the huddle and this early forum that I got into...it was like what..12, 25, 54,124, 118 glad i hit the boards early....still cant get over how many yrs I have been a huddle fan and never hit the boards.

Bump

More from KFFL:

Broncos | Henry fighting NFL in court over urine specimen

Thu, 4 Oct 2007 19:30:48 -0700

Anthony M. Destefano, of the New York Newsday, reports Denver Broncos RB Travis Henry is embroiled in a lawsuit with the NFL. He is trying to keep the league from using the results of a drug test to suspend him, per papers filed with the Brooklyn federal court. While a court ordered a temporary restraining order against the league from using a urine specimen against him, the league got an appellate court to vacate that order.

Just stumbled on this blurb on MFL:

(Rotoworld) Broncos coach Mike Shanahan says he plans to use Selvin Young to spell Travis Henry going forward to keep Henry fresh.

Impact: Young, Henry's clear backup, had a 40-yard run in Week 2. "I can see him as a starter," Shanahan said. "He is a starter in this league." Young was also targeted twice deep as a receiver, as Denver wants to keep Young involved.

So, pending his suspension, is Shannahanahanahanhann the type to bench him on principle since he's caught up in all this, or play him (injury status depending) as much as possible before losing him?

I grabbed Young in all leagues 1 week ago :D

He's as likely to bench a criminal/drug abuser as the fellow in your avatar is to give Homer a raise....

He's as likely to bench a criminal/drug abuser as the fellow in your avatar is to give Homer a raise....

Eexxxceellllent....I have given Homer Simpson plenty of raises in the past. In deed, that man is worthy of a raise right now, hard worker and contributor that he is. Smithers, put your clothes back on and summon Mr. Simpson...

?? No idea what "they liked Young" means just saying I wouldn't hold your breath about Young becoming "the man" RB wise. Again if you have some schlep wasting your last RB slot sure he's worth the chance.....

A young runningback from Denver who is listed as number 2 on the depth chart and has averaged 9.2 yards a carry thus far and looked like money in the preseason too is worth a lot more than "a chance." Reminds me alot of another unheralded unknown I picked up a few years ago who was in a similar position named Willie Parker. Or another name I picked up from a long time ago named Ahman Green.

He hasn't logged enough pro carries to prove himself yet, but these are the rare opportunities that can make-or-break dynasty teams in the long run, and very few pickups have that kind of potential.

Edited by Crazysight

This is making my day. I picked Selvin up a few weeks/days back in most of my leagues and just got him in my last pay league. This is like a cherry on top of Sammy Morris and Bowe and Adrian Peterson and Romo and on and on and etc etc etc

Only Chuck Norris can beat me now.

Man, oh, man. Just grabbed Selvin off of waivers in a few leagues, particularly the one where I own Henry.

I understand wanting to take a load off and smoke some ganga every now and then but the dude was in trouble for this previosly and could not afford another screw up! :D If he has to return the 12 million bonus money, how will his 9 kids eat? If my memory serves, he was already in financial trouble recently as well.

What's the take on Young? I thought he looked really good in limited action last week but my only thought is Henry has just loosened up the D for him. Can Selvin put up some solid RB1/2 numbers is what we all want to know. My feeling is If he keeps catching those screen passes from Cutler he should be quality starter material in a PPR.

@%#$#$^^@!!!!!!

I grabbed Selvin on Sunday in one league when Travis went down in the game. I still have him on that team.

It's the 5 other teams that I missed out on. Someone grabbed him tonight as the news broke in each league. I had family obligations and missed the window.

:D