[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Harnessing The Power of Wind

BiggieFries

That is cool. I wonder how efficient those are in real world situations. A fan puts off a lot more wind at a continuous level than what normally occurs in nature. In junior high we made a battery out of a can of sauerkraut. It would light a light bulb just like that wind belt would, but it isn't a very practical source of power. Hopefully this thing will revolutionize the world, but I'd like to see how it performs in nature versus with a fan blowing on it before I get too excited or dumping millions of dollars in this guys lap as SB suggests that we do.

Edited by Perchoutofwater

Like perch says, this is just a proof of concept, not a marketable piece of equipment yet. However, with a battery storage system and coupled with solar energy, you could probably take your house off the grid which would be excellent IMO.

Ah, my soapbox. Between tides, rivers, wind, and sun; those resources present much more energy for our needs than the incredibly ineffiecient, yet profitabe way of just extracting, processing, transporting, and burning fossil fuels. But developers of "alternative" souces of energy (I think they should, or could be, the primary sources), need help such as capital investments and gubmit incentives. Imagine what we could do with renewable sources of energy if we really committed to it. I don't want to get political, but our current leaders either just don't get it, or have other agendas.

Ah, my soapbox. Between tides, rivers, wind, and sun; those resources present much more energy for our needs than the incredibly ineffiecient, yet profitabe way of just extracting, processing, transporting, and burning fossil fuels. But developers of "alternative" souces of energy (I think they should, or could be, the primary sources), need help such as capital investments and gubmit incentives. Imagine what we could do with renewable sources of energy if we really committed to it. I don't want to get political, but our current leaders either just don't get it, or have other agendas.

If the developers of alternate sources of energy would come up with some hard science that would show that their alternate energy was as cost effective as fossil fuels, then you can bet venture capitalists would be lining up from here to the moon to try to get in on it. Unfortunately so far they haven't been able to come up with an efficient alternate that is cost effective. It has very little to do with politics, and a great deal to do with the cost associated with alternative energy.

If the developers of alternate sources of energy would come up with some hard science that would show that their alternate energy was as cost effective as fossil fuels, then you can bet venture capitalists would be lining up from here to the moon to try to get in on it. Unfortunately so far they haven't been able to come up with an efficient alternate that is cost effective. It has very little to do with politics, and a great deal to do with the cost associated with alternative energy.

As much as I would love to produce my own power thru alternative sources I have to agree with Perch here. It's all about the money. When this stuff becomes more profitable than fossil fuels then we'll see some serious changes. Like my wood burning truck idea. :D

That kind of science is expensive, something developers of alternate fuels can't afford. Given our dependence on foreign energy is a national security issue and that most everyone agrees thath greenhouse gasses to some level are a risk to our environmental health, I don't see why they federal government can't make subsidizing the developers a priority.

The fact that it isn't more of a priority to politicians on both sides is a pathetic. Waiting for venture capitalists to decide to hop on board hardly seems like the energy policy I'm looking for. Given the budgetary choices politicans choose to place ahead of alternate energy, the fact that we aren't to the point venture capitalists are flooding the developer with money is an indicatio nthat this industry isn't where it need to be for America to be secure, period. That makes waiting for proof alternative energy can be profitable is a failed energy policy.

Do you honestly think it's that simplistic and there isn't any other components involved in the development of alternative energy? Or is this part of a Rush Limbaugh ditto head schtick fishing expedition? :D

Do you honestly think it's that simplistic and there isn't any other components involved in the development of alternative energy? Or is this part of a Rush Limbaugh ditto head schtick fishing expedition? :D

I don't know Rush Limbaugh's stance on this, as I don't listen to the blowhard. I'm just a capitalist at heart, and know that if anyone was close to a real solution, people would be jumping over themselves to get in on it. If there was an effective alternate fuel source out there that was as cost effective as fossil fuel, and viewed as less destructive to the environment, consumers would be screaming for it, so there is a demand for it, and where there is a demand there is a dollar to be made. Where there is a dollar to be made, there will be investors. Right now, the science just isn't there, but if some one gets close you can bet investors will be jumping all over it.

I just love the windmill farms that slaughtered migratory birds by the tens of thousands! :D

It is estimated that 100 million to 1 billion birds die by colliding with windows every year.

Lets face it, birds aren't that bright. On the other hand... coal is GOOD for birds! :D