[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Can anybody recommended an inexpensive laptop?

Grits and Shins

Tiger Direct has cheap laptops.

These seem kinda scary. . .Acer? Linovo? Systemax?? mom and pop brands you never heard of or refurbs. . . for the same $ you can go straight through dell, get a new product and manufacturer's warranty.

I have 3 HP Pavillion series laptops.

You can find a zx model on Ebay for the price range. I've had all mine for over 4 years, without any problems other then replacing a HDD in one of them, buy from a squaretrader and get the additional 2 year warrenty for $40 or something like that.

H8 has the largest selection of Laptops and Bait & Tackle you'll ever need...........his prices beat the ones i was seein plus he's a White American :D

I don't hold that against him. But yes he has given great advice in this area.

http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-Pavilion-dv9000t-No...1QQcmdZViewItem

Don't know what the reserve is set to, but if you can get this for $700 or lower, that'd be a nice deal. Still 6 months left of the manufactures warrenty and if you call HP, you can purchase an extended warrenty directly through them .

Do not buy off ebay.

.Acer? Linovo? Systemax?? mom and pop brands you never heard of

Acer is one of the largest in the world.

If you can, I suggest you get one with XP, don't play the vista game. You can get a brand new Dell, dual core, XP, DVDRW, wireless G, 1GB of ram, 80GB 5400 harddrive, 15.4" LCD, everything for $600 brand new with one year warranty, so refurbs and ebay are not worth messing with compared to a deal like that IMSMO.

If you can, I suggest you get one with XP, don't play the vista game. You can get a brand new Dell, dual core, XP, DVDRW, wireless G, 1GB of ram, 80GB 5400 harddrive, 15.4" LCD, everything for $600 brand new with one year warranty, so refurbs and ebay are not worth messing with compared to a deal like that IMSMO.

The mrs and I just got a Dell Vostro 1500 about a month ago with the Centrino core 2 duo. We splurged for the extra stick of RAM and better screen resolution with XP . With shipping and tax it ended up around 850. I'm using it right now.... Comparably equipped comps elsewhere were about 200 more.

Edited by The Irish Doggy

Do not buy off ebay.

Acer is one of the largest in the world.

I agree with Acer.

I got one last year (512MB RAM, 80GB HDD, WinXP, etc). Anyways, I didn't want to spend over $600 since the laptop would be primarily for my wife and she's not a power user and I was in the process of building my own :D .

To date it has been great with no problems whatsoever (knock on wood) and we got it at Circuit City for a little over $500.00. I think that would be a great option, IMHO.

Good Luck!

he mrs and I just got a Dell Vostro 1500 about a month ago with the Centrino core 2 duo. We splurged for the extra stick of RAM and better screen resolution with XP . With shipping and tax it ended up around 850. I'm using it right now.... Comparably equipped comps elsewhere were about 200 more.

Little bird told me a place I can get that unit today brand new w/2GB ram and XP for $699... :D

Little bird told me a place I can get that unit today brand new w/2GB ram and XP for $699... :D

Wow, just got their most recent ad flier. Sure enough, a month later they dropped the price an extra 150 bucks and are throwing in the extra stick of RAM. :D

Edited by The Irish Doggy