[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lawyers awarded property next door.

evil_gop_liars

Adverse possession is not a legal loophole. It is well established in I believe just about every state.

However, it seems misapplied here as the alleged possession was not exclusive of the owners ...

I imagine this gets overturned ...

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getc...311&invol=1

Edited by Beaumont

Attorney: Land-grab law not so obscure

Appeal likely in 'adverse possession' case in Boulder

By Heath Urie

Saturday, November 10, 2007

Camera columnist Bob Greenlee shocked some of those who read his commentary this week, when he described a Boulder couple's lawsuit that concluded last month with a judge awarding them control of a portion of their neighbor's property because they proved to have a "stronger" attachment to the land than the true owners.

STORY TOOLS

* E-mail story

* Comments

* iPod friendly

* Printer friendly

related linksMore Boulder & County News

* Hard feelings on Hardscrabble Drive

* Playing war, not just games

* Publishing paradise: Boulder a base for outdoor magazines

Share and Enjoy Share and Enjoy [?]

Share your video, photos and news tips.

But a Denver attorney who specializes in land and development cases said the legal concept of "adverse possession" that was used to win the suit is far more common than most people realize.

In his Sunday column, Greenlee wrote that 23 years ago Don and Susie Kirlin purchased two undeveloped lots in Boulder's Shanahan Ridge, located in the 2000 block of Hardscrabble Drive. They were considering whether to build a home on their property or sell one or both lots.

According to court records, the Kirlins left the property vacant and unattended while the homeowners next to the lot, Edith Stevens and Richard McLean, created two dirt paths through the property to access their own backyard "virtually every day" for almost 25 years.

Stevens and McLean said in court that they knew the land was owned by someone else, but they used it anyway for access to their yard, to host parties and to store a wood pile.

After a dispute erupted among the neighbors over a fencing issue, McLean, a former judge, hired Boulder attorney Kimberly Hult to sue the Kirlins for ownership of their longtime pathway by taking advantage of adverse possession.

The doctrine, incorporated into Colorado's Revised Statutes, essentially states that if a person occupies the land owned by another person for long enough, without being challenged or given permission by the owner, the land becomes the property of the person most attached to its use.

In Colorado, the statutory time a property must be occupied before asserting adverse possession is 18 years, and even then, squatters have a heavy burden to prove that they meet all the requirements of the law. In the case of McLean and Stevens, Boulder District Court Judge James C. Klein found the couple had taken possession of their neighbor's land in an "actual, adverse, hostile, under right of claim, exclusive and uninterrupted" manner — consistent with the language of the law.

Proving 'adverse possession:'

Property must show visible signs of being occupied by non-owners.

Occupiers must act as if the property was their own.

The possession must be hostile to the actual owners of the land.

Occupation of the land must be continuous and without challenge or permission from the lawful owner for 18 years.

Source: Colorado Revised Statutes and court records

Klein signed an order Oct. 17 demanding that the Kirlins sign over the title to the 12-foot-by-3-foot, semi-circular trail — or about 34 percent of their lot — to McLean and Stevens.

McLean said he didn't want to "try the case in the media" and referred all questions to the couple's attorney, Hult, who also said she would not comment on the specifics of the case because she expects the Kirlins to file an appeal.

An attorney for the Kirlins confirmed an appeal likely would be filed but declined to comment further about the case.

The Kirlins argued in court that they have been proper stewards of their land, paying property taxes and homeowners' association fees since first purchasing it. They said they never noticed someone was encroaching on the lot.

Hult said McLean and Stevens have faced a barrage of "negative" letters and other reactions from Boulder residents since details of the case became public, including dozens of critical comments posted on the Camera's Web site, www.dailycamera.com.

Denver business and commercial law attorney Andrew M. Toft said Friday that homeowners should take notice of the case because use of the statute comes up regularly in property disputes.

"Adverse possession has been around a long time, and it's not a theory of law that is questioned," Toft said. "If I have a fence that goes 2 feet onto my neighbor's lot line, and it stays there for 17 years ... at the end of those 17 years, conceivably I could go to court and (argue), ‘Your honor, I own this land now.'"

He noted that the Kirlins would have been within their rights to call authorities about any trespassing on their property, but because they did nothing, the adverse-possession clause prevails.

Toft said he sees the law used more frequently in rural areas, where boundary disputes span dozens or even hundreds of acres. However, he warned that some property owners can be caught off-guard by the particulars of the law.

"Suddenly, it can become an issue," Toft said. "I don't think it's something that your average layperson is going to have a lot of experience with."

The judge in the case wrote in his final order that the adverse-possession doctrine has existed since at least the 16th century.

E.W. Scripps Co.

Adverse possession is not a legal loophole. It is well established in I believe just about every state.

+1

I've litigated 5 or 6 adverse possession or aquiescence (where the argument is that the title holder essentially let someone use his/her/its land) over the last 5 years. These doctrines have been found in the common law forever. Typically, someone builds something on property that they thought was theirs, only to find through a survey that the land belonged to their neighbor.

Hult said McLean and Stevens have faced a barrage of "negative" letters and other reactions from Boulder residents since details of the case became public

Awwwwww, those poor poor people... all they are trying to do is take something that belongs to someone else. Can't we please just leave them alone? :D

Holy crap, if making a trail through someone's unoccupied land is good enough to take it over, I own a whole freaking subdivision worth of land.

Maybe, but you have to do it continually and uncontested for 18 years..... :D

in Colorado

Edited by RFFL Chump

That's a democrat for ya! Who is really surprised?

Sounds more like a Republican land grad to me......

Man there would be trashy trailers, Bikers, empty beer bottles, and RAP music blasting all the time. I would make there life a living hell....

Man there would be trashy trailers, Bikers, empty beer bottles, and RAP music blasting all the time. I would make there life a living hell....

Nope... apparently they are pretty heavy into Dem politics. Edith Stevens is on the payroll for one of the Democrat House Representatives, Claire Levy.

House District 13

Claire Levy (incumbent)

Email: claire@clairelevy.org

Edith Stevens, Treasurer

2059 Hardscrabble Drive

Boulder, CO 80305

+1. I'd build anyway and make their lives hell.

Or just set fire to their house.

or rather than complaining it is a repub or demo....if you don't like the law...change it! This happened in my VERY CONSERVATIVE town in Illinois. There was a very wealthy local couple that preyed upon an out of town land owner by mowing a section of the land every week. Seems the owner hired a lawncare service to come out every three weeks to mow. They obviously aren't surveyors...so they didn't know where the property lines where. The local couple got like half the lot for free after so many years. Turns out the couple who bought the land were going to build a house for their daughter...who was in 2nd grade...for a future college graduation gift. This whole land grab crap is just Athenayy

Edited by TheShiznit