[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cleveland Hosed?

keggerz

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a purely a judgement call but I personally think he likely would have not gotten both feet in regardless the way he was twisting back to the right to catch it.

it looked to me like the toe was in bounds.

To be ruled a force out, you have don't have to positive that the WR would have DEFINITELY got two feet in. All you have to see is that the contact prevented the opportunity to get two feet in. In the AFC Championship, Gaffney catches that TD in the back of the endzone, gets no feet in bounds before being forced out by Hayden. But the ref rules a force out. It is possible that Gaffney's heal COULD have landed on the paint when he came down, and it would have been incomplete. But the contact from Hayden made knowing that impossible, thus a force out.

Well, the mixed opinions of everyone on this thread says it all. It was a very close play and a judgment call. Personally, I thought it was a force out, but, I knew when they called it incomplete on the field it would stand. I completely agree that they should be allowed to review force outs.

No CLV fan but it appeared to me like he was vertical when he caught it and would have come down in bounds. He took a big hit and still made it close. Come'on we're talking about one of the best TEs. They got screwed.

the hilarious thing was where the announcer was saying he was out of bounds when he landed so it wasn't a force out...

ISN'T THAT THE ONLY WAY THE FORCE OUT RULE APPLIES? :D...when a player catches the ball and someone pushes him out of bounds...he's going to land out of bounds...

I thought it was obvious...

apparently it isn't and I am just :D

in real time, with one look at the play, i don't think it was that cut and dry. i think it could've gone either way, personally. with multiple reviews you'd have a good argument, but when i saw the play live my first thought was that the official made a good call.

I thought a force out was when a player catches the ball and has it and before he lands, a player of the opposing team pushes him out of bounds before he can or can't land both feet....

the fact that he still got a foot in bounds made his case even stronger...

Well, the mixed opinions of everyone on this thread says it all. It was a very close play and a judgment call. Personally, I thought it was a force out, but, I knew when they called it incomplete on the field it would stand. I completely agree that they should be allowed to review force outs.

Why does everyone think they should review force outs? There seems to be a 50/50 split on whether he would have come in bounds or not. How would one ever get indisputable evidence on a judgment call?

I thought a force out was when a player catches the ball and has it and before he lands, a player of the opposing team pushes him out of bounds before he can or can't land both feet....

A force out can happen at anytime during the catch. For instance, a player could get one foot down and be on his way to getting the second foot down and then get lit up and that is a force out...but the first foot was unimpeded. I did not see the play...did Winslow's first foot hit the ground before he has hit...and did that first foot come down in bounds DEFINITIVELY? If not, then no push out. If it did...push out. Also, the first foot being in is reviewable....if the shove happened after it landed.

maybe you need to adjust your LCD :D he did not get the first foot in, close, but not in.

Interesting, bc while not a slam dunk- I thought it was a good call, and in the end they got it right.

A force out can happen at anytime during the catch. For instance, a player could get one foot down and be on his way to getting the second foot down and then get lit up and that is a force out...but the first foot was unimpeded. I did not see the play...did Winslow's first foot hit the ground before he has hit...and did that first foot come down in bounds DEFINITIVELY? If not, then no push out. If it did...push out. Also, the first foot being in is reviewable....if the shove happened after it landed.

See my previous post.

When he jumped up to make the catch he was CLEARLY in bounds. In the air he is hit by TWO Arizona players and still manages to get one toe down in bounds.

It was a horrible call ... and a perfect example of why instant replay does not work.

See my previous post.

When he jumped up to make the catch he was CLEARLY in bounds. In the air he is hit by TWO Arizona players and still manages to get one toe down in bounds.

It was a horrible call ... and a perfect example of why instant replay does not work.

Could you post that again? TIA.

after he was pushed out initially, he still managed to get one foot down and he was rushed out of bounds by the 2 defenders before he could get the 2nd foot down...

you really had to see the play and probably will..

maybe you need to adjust your LCD :wacko: he did not get the first foot in, close, but not in.

Interesting, bc while not a slam dunk- I thought it was a good call, and in the end they got it right.

ahaha my HD set was crystal clear....

I don't see how it wasn't a force out :D ...does your opponent have Anderson or Winslow in their lineup? :D

Can't wait to see "after further review" on Total Access this week to hear the explanations for those foul-ups.

Me too.

Did you see his response to the fact that the referees chose to review a FG this year when it is explicitly against the rules? I really wanted to catch that one but missed it. I'm sure he lied and said there was no review ... presuming it was even discussed.

ahaha my HD set was crystal clear....

I don't see how it wasn't a force out :D ...does your opponent have Anderson or Winslow in their lineup? :D

no interest either way.

I have the exact opposite view- I think they got it right. I honestly do not think he would have come down in bounds even without the contact.

Found this on the nfl.com site:

link

A forward pass is complete when a receiver clearly possesses the pass and touches the ground with both feet inbounds while in possession of the ball. If a receiver would have landed inbounds with both feet but is carried or pushed out of bounds while maintaining possession of the ball, pass is complete at the out-of-bounds spot.

I think this implies a defender must specifically intend to force an offensive player out. The way I saw it, both Cardinal players were going for the ball. But I wish I could see the replay again.