[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A Step in the Right Direction

DemonKnight

The legislation signed by Bush at a ceremony at the Energy Department requires automakers to increase fuel efficiency by 40 percent to an industry average 35 miles per gallon by 2020. It also ramps up production of ethanol use to 36 billion gallons a year by 2022.

Bush said the new requirements will help "address our vulnerabilities and dependency" on foreign oil by reducing demand for gasoline and diversifying the nation's fuel supply.

"We make a major step ... toward reducing our dependence on oil, fighting global climate change, expanding the production of renewable fuels and giving future generations ... a nation that is stronger cleaner and more secure," said the president.

Bush was flanked by Democrat and Republican members of Congress who had ushered the legislation through.

The House passed the energy bill Tuesday by a 314-100 vote after the Senate cleared it last week following lengthy negotiations and sometimes testy confrontations. Bush had vowed to veto the original legislation passed by the House because it included $21 billion in taxes.

The tax provisions were dropped to get the bill approved.

Congress delivered the legislation to the White House late Tuesday in a gas-hybrid sedan.

Bush noted that earlier this year he had proposed a plan to cut gasoline use by 20 percent over the next 10 years. But the president has long opposed arbitrary numerical standards for vehicle fuel economy.

The legislation increases the federal standard automakers must meet to an industry wide 35 mpg for passengers cars, SUVs and small trucks. The standard for cars today is 27.5 mpg and for trucks and SUVs 22.2 mpg.

It requires refineries to increase the use of ethanol from about 6 billion gallons a year this year to 36 billion gallons by 2022 and mandates that by then at least 21 billion gallons are to come from feedstocks other than corn.

Chinese cars are coming soon ...8000 for a brand new car that will have multiple coats of lead paint and get 50 mph to the gallon

I am sure the cars will breakdown after 100 miles or so but the replacement parts will be super cheap as they ofcourse will be made in China

Chinese cars are coming soon ...8000 for a brand new car that will have multiple coats of lead paint and get 50 mph to the gallon

I am sure the cars will breakdown after 100 miles or so but the replacement parts will be super cheap as they ofcourse will be made in China

I was on vacation a year or two ago in the BVI's and took a cab from the airport to the marina. The cab was a brand new mini van from China. It looked like an old Chevy or GMC mini van from the mid 80s with an even cheaper trim package than what was offered here.

The legislation signed by Bush at a ceremony at the Energy Department requires automakers to increase fuel efficiency by 40 percent to an industry average 35 miles per gallon by 2020.

OOOOOoooohhh!!!! A modest gain in fuel efficiency within the next THIRTEEN years? :D

How in the hell are they going to accomplish an amazing feat like that?? That's ridiculous!!!! It will bankrupt everyone!

This legislation is nothing. If American cars haven't increased their fuel efficiency far past that mark within the next 5 years, they'll be driven out of business by their far superior and more innovative competitors.

ive looked and havent found anywhere that says just american automakers need to do this. it would seem that any automaker that wants to sell a vehicle here needs to comply.

Honda and Toyota have been manufacturing their own hybrid engines for years, and lead all manufacturers for fuel efficiency. I think they've got a bit of an edge in this department.

The last I heard, Ford was leasing their hybrid technology from Toyota.

Personally... I want one of these. They freaking kick ass.

the "right direction" being where the government tells us all what to do, i take it?

Govt. tells us to do a lot of things. This seems to be a largely symbolic gesture with modest enforcement considering American automakers largely missed the boat on what American consumers are buying anyways.

Why shouldn't the government tell us what to do? They already "own" everything! If you don't believe me just go a few years and don't pay your property taxes. The guberment will send the black helicopters and take it away. Seems to me we're just a bunch of renters. :D

"Lying to the IRS is the same as lying to the Devil."

Jesus

OOOOOoooohhh!!!! A modest gain in fuel efficiency within the next THIRTEEN years? :D

How in the hell are they going to accomplish an amazing feat like that?? That's ridiculous!!!! It will bankrupt everyone!

This legislation is nothing. If American cars haven't increased their fuel efficiency far past that mark within the next 5 years, they'll be driven out of business by their far superior and more innovative competitors.

One can only hope.

Even forgetting the environmental argument, decreasing our reliance on foreign oil should be a priority as a matter of national security. It would probably be in our nation's best interest to not have our need for oil be such an important aspect of our foreign policy decisions.

Even forgetting the environmental argument, decreasing our reliance on foreign oil should be a priority as a matter of national security. It would probably be in our nation's best interest to not have our need for oil be such an important aspect of our foreign policy decisions.

I'm more worried about the constant barrage of reports from Fox News that insinuates I can't wish anyone a Merry Christmas.