[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I AM LEGEND CLIAZ REVIEW

cliaz

I Am Legend

Atmosphere -

The sweeping vistas of New York City overrun with growth was very well done. The buildings in various states of decay was a bit too much considering that the movie itself takes place three years after humanity has died off. What they did get right was a brilliant combination of apocalyptic back drop yet shows you that even in this setting beautiful sunny fall time days still roll on and that mother nature itself can still paint her pictures on this canvas. I personally loved that combination.

The settings in the dark were claustrophobic and the film makers used the “Silent Hill video game” method of lighting in those areas to really give you a sense that you were there with Will Smith. They also did a great job in creating a sense of his safe area being an island in the night time.

One thing that I did not agree with was how the film makers had most of the cars in NYC parked on the side of the street. I would expect a city of 8 million people to have more cars clogging the streets. Though they tried to do this it would not have worked with how Will Smith rolled around the city.

Rate - 7 out of 10

Special Effects -

I heard different things about the FX of this movie. I felt it was acceptable. If you were satisfied with Golem from Lord of the Rings then you will be cool with the Dark Seekers. I don’t understand why they didn’t use real actors for these creatures though. I think a lot of it had to do with their movements and the way they breathed.

The FX used for the post apocalyptic New York City was done almost to perfection. Down to the rainbow oil slick in the flooded tunnels that were filled with submerged cars. The image of the Brooklyn bridge all blown up was really pimp and the decaying water front of Brooklyn was also uber pimp. If you really think on it the film makers had to digitally remove thousands of people who would watch the filming each day, the cars, the planes in the sky, etc.

Rate - 5 out of 10

The Acting -

No matter what you think about this movie you have to give props to the Fresh Prince. It is a huge task to carry a movie by yourself. I think he did a wonder job until the third act which is when the movie collapses in on itself. If you are to use Tom Hanks in Cast Away as a reference point for the level of acting needed to pull along a movie in which there are hardly any speaking lines then Will Smith [in MHO] surpassed him.

There were a few times I did not buy into his decent into madness from being alone and I don’t know about all of you but after about 6 weeks of being alone with no pron, real dolls or even a pocket booty toy that dog would be looking mighty good.

Rate - 7 out of 10

The Virus -

This is one of the weak points of the movie. They did not explain anything more than the 90 seconds at the beginning of the movie about the virus and what happened after it spread. There was a moment where Will explains to us that it killed off 90% of the human population but that is about it. To me when you have a movie that is built on a virus killing off almost all of humanity you would put in some type of flash back, journal or news media reports on the decline of humanity once it spread. This movie severally lacked in that area and this is one of the fatal blows to the story.

Rate - 3 out of 10

The Dark Seekers -

Another fatal blow to the movie is that they did not explain anything more on these create that you already know from the previews on TV. They never showed us the strengths and weaknesses of these creates like you get from movies like 28 days/weeks later, Dawn of the Dead, etc. We do not know what motivates them to kill. Is it for blood or flesh? Hunger or rage? Are they singular creates that gather for protection or do they hunt in packs?

Nothing is explained about them and I think the film maker wanted it like this so we could be left to our own minds to figure out what they are about. This fails in so many ways.

Rate - 2 out of 10

The Story -

The final blow to this movie is the choppy store that does not explain anything about how humanity fell [other than it was a virus], where these Dark Seekers came from or how they came to be nor why Will Smith wants to stay in down town creepy-ville. If you want to know how this story movies along think back to “Attack of the Clones” but without any of the light saber fights, the giant battle at the end or anything involving space battles.

Over all the story had a good base to build on but once the movie moves into the third act it just falls apart in so many ways that I watched at least 10 people get up and leave the theater. I haven’t seen that since “Never Ending Story II”.

Rate - 2 out of 10

I agree with a lot of what you said. To me, the only great part about this movie was how they recreated New York to look deserted. And even though Will Smith is one of my favorite actors, this was not his best role. Everything else, the darkseekers, the virus, and especially the ending was not very good. I feel that if they developed the plot a little bit more and gave more insight into what exactly happened, this could be a very good flick. That, and change the ending.

You have to admit, the movie forces you to think as though the dark seekers are indeed the new breed of human in that they catch the mythical hunter that kills them while they sleep and manage to execute him. Mind you, you likely don't make that connection if the movie is named anything other than I AM LEGEND.

However, I never did understand why the dark seekers could not remember being human. I guess that was either a disconnect in the movie or something I missed.

I liked it.

Bad Review, cliaz. No disrespect.

Here's why IMO: how many more films do we have to labor through a talky explanation of the killer virus? IT's a pat sci-fi concept, and we've seen so many permutations of this before. This film is FREE from all of that, and allows it to focus on the survior mindset. It creates a fascinating character study that becomes an acting tour de force for Smith. It's him and a dog for over an hour.

I, for one, found it to be very respectful to the audience and not short changed in any way. Virus created. It kills some, mutates other and a 3rd group is immune. Got it. I appreciated the lack of computer generated graphic section that only would have repeated the info we already knew: Virus created. It kills some, mutates other and a 3rd group is immune.

Areas I would have liked to have seen more of was maybe more commentary on how much intelligence was left in the creatures. I don't know how you cna ask if 'they hunt in packs' because that's all I saw them do.

This is not an 'end of the world' film in the classic sense, it's a "what happens if you were the last man on earth?" movie, and when he goes on the bender after the death of his dog you're right there with him.

And if you don't think he carried this film capably, well, that's your right - but you'll rarely see a solo film like this.

I just think that saying it needed to be something to meet your expectations is a little disengenuous. You wanted it to be another 28 Days (which I DO like better) which it never aspired to be.

The things that bug me are inconsistencies in the film's interior logic: the first time you see him sleep in in the tub, there's all the noise from the seekers spilling in from the outside. But near the end when he hears it starts he acts like it's highly unusual. That kind of stuff bugs me.

I would have certainly preferred the book ending, as opposed to the Hollywood one.....

Edited by Pope Flick

• 3 weeks later...

SPOILER ALERT...

I liked it...except for the fact that I knew the dog was going to die from the beginning and after that, the movie lost a lot of it's suspense....because I didn't want to see the dog die ahaha...

also the fact that he could have clearly got away IMO, but they had to go the hero route and make him be macho and die......that is retarded for several reasons...

especially if he thinks they are the last 3 people on earth....wouldn't he be thinking of reproduction?...what is she going to bang her son?...

the ending was weak as anything...but I still liked it...

I always overthink these things. Through the movie I was thinking to myself,

"If you have a harbor, why barricade yourself in a house? Why not just outfit a ship and go back and forth to Liberty or Ellis Island or some such?"

AND

"How are manically crazy creatures able to A) figure out simple machines (traps) and B ) Work cooperatively?"

AND

"How the hell could said maniacally crazy creatures domesticate maniacally crazy dogs?"

AND

" A GRENADE? He's a freakin scienist, wouldn't some sort of poison gas with a gas mask make more sense as a defense?"

Other than that I thought it was a visceral movie. And Will Smith acted well.

Edited by cre8tiff

[quote name='Avernus' date='1/10/08 8:24pm' post='2363714'

especially if he thinks they are the last 3 people on earth....wouldn't he be thinking of reproduction?...what is she going to bang her son?...

Do they say thats her son or is it a child she found along the way?

him dieing at the end in a hero style was a little retarded. He should have somehow escaped and went to the city where he comes a legend (I dont think he needed to die in the movie for us to know he would become a legend).

also, alot of people complain how they didnt like the little info on the "zombies" but i thought that was awesome. it leaves ALOT to the imagination where you can say they are somewhat intelligent (esp that 1 zombie). A few inconsistencies throughout the movie but I liked it.

the more i think about it the more i want to see it again (rental not paying movie price).

[quote name='Avernus' date='1/10/08 8:24pm' post='2363714'

Do they say thats her son or is it a child she found along the way?

him dieing at the end in a hero style was a little retarded. He should have somehow escaped and went to the city where he comes a legend (I dont think he needed to die in the movie for us to know he would become a legend).

also, alot of people complain how they didnt like the little info on the "zombies" but i thought that was awesome. it leaves ALOT to the imagination where you can say they are somewhat intelligent (esp that 1 zombie). A few inconsistencies throughout the movie but I liked it.

the more i think about it the more i want to see it again (rental not paying movie price).

he thinks that they are the last 3 people....and he considers "ground zero" as his territory...he's mind is so effed up that he refuses to believe otherwise..

also I assumed that he was her son....he may have been a child she found...never considered that..

Edited by Avernus

• 2 weeks later...

I think Cliaz's review is pretty spot on...the "monsters" ruined it for me. The FX for this portion were laughable.

Part of what made 28 Days Later work is the fact that the infected were human...you felt some sympathy. It was way too easy to write off and laugh when they died in Legend. Big missed opportunity.

I actually worked on the film for about 6 months as a scenic painter.

This, to me is the amazing part

If you really think on it the film makers had to digitally remove thousands of people who would watch the filming each day, the cars, the planes in the sky, etc.

is totally wrong. Other than the Brooklyn Bridge CGI, MOST of the movie was shot in the streets of NYC, and major parts of the city(Grand Central Station :D , midtown :wacko: , Washington Square Park :D ) were shut down for shooting. So that car scene through the empty streets of New York is just that: blocks and blocks cordoned off to the general public with hundreds of prop cars parked on the streets, and thousand of weeds 'planted' in the streets, fake building facades propped in front of real ones. It was absolutely mind boggling.

Shows you what kind of budget they were dealing with.

I actually worked on the film for about 6 months as a scenic painter.

This, to me is the amazing part

is totally wrong. Other than the Brooklyn Bridge CGI, MOST of the movie was shot in the streets of NYC, and major parts of the city(Grand Central Station :D , midtown :wacko: , Washington Square Park :D ) were shut down for shooting. So that car scene through the empty streets of New York is just that: blocks and blocks cordoned off to the general public with hundreds of prop cars parked on the streets, and thousand of weeds 'planted' in the streets, fake building facades propped in front of real ones. It was absolutely mind boggling.

Shows you what kind of budget they were dealing with.

Wow...that's impressive. That has to cost a ton.

I liked it.... There were some glaring gaps

1. How did they get to NY (Girl and kid) with very little weapons

2. When they rescued him on the Dock, how did they manage to stay alive

3. If rats were infected, no way in NY does Smith ever have a chance

4. The last scene was hokie

Overall, good movie (didn't care for 28 days). I liked the way it showed the toll of survival and lack of human contact on Smith's mind.

• 1 month later...

This thread won't die.

So in another "what were they thinking?" moment, here is a different, fully produced ending to I Am Legend that smokes what they ended up using. It explains were one shot went that I saw in the trailer.

I must say, they blew it big time.

http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/03/05/mus...his-is-amazing/

MAJOR SPOILER.

I liked it.... There were some glaring gaps

1. How did they get to NY (Girl and kid) with very little weapons

2. When they rescued him on the Dock, how did they manage to stay alive

3. If rats were infected, no way in NY does Smith ever have a chance

4. The last scene was hokie

Overall, good movie (didn't care for 28 days). I liked the way it showed the toll of survival and lack of human contact on Smith's mind.

28 days later was a much much better film - not even close

was ok- could have been better- amazes me how hollywood effs up a good premise

the Irish lass saving him on the dock was laughable, so she shows up and her and her kid wipe out the rest of the seekers??? right

when he gets speared in the leg, and can only meekly crawl back to his car starin at those crazy ass dogs, cmon- the shape he was in- he could have gotten to the car in a hurry - Fresh prince was shredded -

overall was ok

I dont get this ending or the one in the theaters...they both didnt do it for me. This one is slightly better

why would the "zombies" spare him or the girl? They are suppose to be crazed and kill regular humans but they spare him? For what?

Great movie bad ending. I wanna read the book now maybe I will understand more

Edited by MrTed46

I dont get this ending or the one in the theaters...they both didnt do it for me. This one is slightly better

why would the "zombies" spare him or the girl? They are suppose to be crazed and kill regular humans but they spare him? For what?

Great movie bad ending. I wanna read the book now maybe I will understand more

I haven't read the book, but from my understanding the 'zombies' actually had intellect and formed their own, new society. The "I Am Legend" of the book refers to how the Dr became the new society's "Creature of Legend" the way he would track them down and hunt them during the day - from their perspective he was a vampire.

They only alluded to it in the film with the mannequin trap they laid out for him, which was only really followed up on with this deleted scene.

Just saw a commercial for the DVD & it said the alternate ending is included. :wacko:

Still haven't seen it. Was wondering if it would be worthwhile. Heard it was kinda crazy.