[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

We are Marshall...

irish

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marshall was produced/directed well and muscle man did a good job acting. The symbolic dialogue and sub plots seemed incredibly scripted, phony, and sappy for the most part. I expected an artistic license to play into the movie plot, but after seeing this thread I thought it would feel more authentic. Rudy wasn't a bad movie, and I also enjoyed it, but I wasn't emotionally swept away by either film.

I'm with bush - GREAT story turned into a mediocre sports movie. All movies are manipulative to an extent - the problem is with We Are Marshall that the manipulation is so ham-handedly obvious that it's distracting. Remember the Titans suffer from the same problem, to a lesser extent.

Really, I don't think The Great Football Movie has been made yet; closest so far is North Dallas Forty.

I'm with bush - GREAT story turned into a mediocre sports movie. All movies are manipulative to an extent - the problem is with We Are Marshall that the manipulation is so ham-handedly obvious that it's distracting. Remember the Titans suffer from the same problem, to a lesser extent.

Really, I don't think The Great Football Movie has been made yet; closest so far is North Dallas Forty.

The thing is - you have to know this going in. I mean, that this would be a heavy-handed cliched movie was really a suprise??

I guess I had fairly low expectations and ended up really enjoying it.

North Dallas Forty was awesome. I loved The Longest Yard too.

I saw it last night. It was good. Mcconaughey did a really good job.

I know it was a true story - but I couldn't really see the reason to have the blond kid in it (the one that would not play). I thought that would go somewhere. I am sure there were a lot of other people connected to the story that weren't interesting enough to make the script. Not to sure why he made it.

I saw it last night. It was good. Mcconaughey did a really good job.

I know it was a true story - but I couldn't really see the reason to have the blond kid in it (the one that would not play). I thought that would go somewhere. I am sure there were a lot of other people connected to the story that weren't interesting enough to make the script. Not to sure why he made it.

The blonde kid was there, because that part of the story was true. He overslept, and then didn't play. The only two people that were "added" for Hollywood purposes were, the Dad and fiance of the running back.

Watched this a 2nd time this morning and I still love it. I even teared up a bit, but, I'm a sap, and emotional uplifting movies get me pretty easily. I do see you guys point, but, I guess I'm an easy win with this stuff, because I loved 'Remember the Titans' as well.

Watched this a 2nd time this morning and I still love it. I even teared up a bit, but, I'm a sap, and emotional uplifting movies get me pretty easily. I do see you guys point, but, I guess I'm an easy win with this stuff, because I loved 'Remember the Titans' as well.

I know you may not enjoy hearing this, however, we are cut from the same cloth in more ways than one and this is just one good example.

Edited by irish

The blonde kid was there, because that part of the story was true. He overslept, and then didn't play. The only two people that were "added" for Hollywood purposes were, the Dad and fiance of the running back.

And really, did that "addition" add that much? Typical Hollywood move, to add something where things would have been just fine anyway. Besides, if you're gonna put Ian McShane in a movie, it should be law he has to call someone a "c*cksucker" at least once. :D

I don't dislike WAM or RtT - I just think that they are pretty transparent and clumsy in their manipulation. They are what they are. Heck, I just watched The Music Man and was getting into the schmaltz at the very end, so it's not like I'm Iron John here or anything. :D

I enjoyed the movie, and I thought the director did a great job with the airplane crash. I won't give spoilers, but it was appropriate and respectful to the families and friends of the deceased.

Oh, and the best football movie ever made was "The Best of Times" starring Kurt Russell and Robin Williams. Pure classic! :D

I watched it today from the beginning until their first game under McConohay then I had to leave..So far so good

The Bowden part was awesome..Was that really true ?

Edited by whomper

I watched it today from the beginning until their first game under McConohay then I had to leave..So far so good

The Bowden part was awesome..Was that really true ?

yep- think by all acounts that was true story. I also read where he was offered the head Marshall job 2 years prior and turned it down.

The thing is - you have to know this going in. I mean, that this would be a heavy-handed cliched movie was really a suprise??

I guess I had fairly low expectations and ended up really enjoying it.

I'm pretty sure my expectations were raised from this thread before I watched the film.

I haven't seen Hoosiers in a long time, but I don't remember it being as "ham-handed." ....(props to Chavez on the description).

They missed the boat on which story to embellish on. The dad and the bride of the RB added about 15 minutes of nothing and created an awkward sub-plot that took away from the movie.

I'm pretty sure my expectations were raised from this thread before I watched the film.

I haven't seen Hoosiers in a long time, but I don't remember it being as "ham-handed." ....(props to Chavez on the description).

true dat.

Hoosiers is probably my favorite sports movie and one of my favorites of all time- so tough comparison.....

They missed the boat on which story to embellish on. The dad and the bride of the RB added about 15 minutes of nothing and created an awkward sub-plot that took away from the movie.

I agree. The difference between the guy who felt he HAD to play on, and the guy who just couldn't would've made a good contrast. One of the things that I did like was when Nate Ruffin saw him in the stands and realized sometimes people have to follow different paths.

Agreed. I still don't don't see why the feel the need to add something to a true story that is good enough on it's own.

Just watched it again. GREAT movie!! and the white kid that quits the team but continues to talk with Ruffan plays an important role IMO that some just aren't comprehending. If you don't like this movie, you're just way too jaded and read into things way too much.