[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Scotch

Thews40

I have an uber-cyclist friend (seriously hard core) that’s going on a outing where he’s in charge of bringing the Scotch. He wants to know what brand to bring. I’m a beer guy and I don’t hit the hard stuff, but like H8 I hit the brews too hard. What should he bring to impress them?

Also… please check out this ebay auction. Some fek screwed me and I fought back. Fair game…

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...708866&rd=1 :wacko:

Edited by Thews40

I have an uber-cyclist friend (seriously hard core) that’s going on a outing where he’s in charge of bringing the Scotch. He wants to know what brand to bring. I’m a beer guy and I don’t hit the hard stuff, but like H8 I hit the brews too hard. What should he bring to impress them?

Also… please check out this ebay auction. Some fek screwed me and I fought back. Fair game…

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...708866&rd=1 :wacko:

Mortlach!

Is there a budget in mind?

That was my first question too. How deep are his pockets? You can throw some serious scratch at Scotch.

That was my first question too. How deep are his pockets? You can throw some serious scratch at Scotch.

There are also terrific scotches at many price points, but knowing what kind of price point a guy is looking for is key.

For all we know he could be in a basic Dewars price point...

I'm assuming you want to spend less than $100, including tax.

For a scotch with a lighter flavor (not so overbearing or "boozy") I like Glenkinche 10 year. It's about $50 + tax. It has a subtle taste that reminds me of freshly cut grass.

If you're in the mood for a scotch whiskey, for about $60 plus tax its hard to beat Bushmill's 16 year. It's smooth and uncomplicated. More like Irish sipping whiskey, but with 96 points on the Bevmo scale you'll know you're da man when you roll up with a bottle of this hooch.

If you're willing to tickle the $100 price range, my favorite is the Glenfarclas 17 year. It's certainly *not* the Budwiser of scotch. But scotch lovers will almost certainly appreciate its nuanced flavors. 93 points on the Bevmo scale, so you pay more, but you get what you pay for.

On the lower end of the price spectrum you really can't go wrong with a nice Glenmorangie 10 year. This should run about $40 plus and is a perfect, inexpensive scotch to sip neat on a cold day to help keep warm. 87 points on the Bevmo scale, and I'd say its appeal is very "accessible," even for people who know nothing about scotch.

For a mid-ranged price the Macallan 15 is a solid choice. To be honest, I'm bored of drinking this scotch. But for about $70, plus tax, its a "can't miss" for the occasional scotch drinker.

Edited by yo mama

Reason I haven't replied.... LOL

I don't think I have a bottle of Scotch in the house that didn't run major bucks.

Ditto!

Thews, If you can get your hands on some Bowmore Darkest, you're friends will be very happy and impressed. This scotch has a ton of layers to it: fragrant start, peaty middle and s sherry/smokey finish. I found it in a local store for around $55 which is a steal for a good single malt IMO. :wacko:

Has anyone else had this?

Thanks for the advice :wacko: . He said he was looking in the $50 to $75 range, so this should set him up. Not sure how you aquire a taste for this stuff, but that shot you bought me Sky was pretty smooth for hard stuff. Kinda like wine... guess I'm a little skeered to dance with the devil ...I like beer too much as it is. Thanks again.

Thanks for the advice :wacko: . He said he was looking in the $50 to $75 range, so this should set him up. Not sure how you aquire a taste for this stuff, but that shot you bought me Sky was pretty smooth for hard stuff. Kinda like wine... guess I'm a little skeered to dance with the devil ...I like beer too much as it is. Thanks again.

That was 12 year old Glenlivet. :D Probably just around 45-50 a bottle.

Ditto!

Thews, If you can get your hands on some Bowmore Darkest, you're friends will be very happy and impressed. This scotch has a ton of layers to it: fragrant start, peaty middle and s sherry/smokey finish. I found it in a local store for around $55 which is a steal for a good single malt IMO. :wacko:

Has anyone else had this?

Not sure I have this bottle but I do have a bottle of Bowmore downstairs.

Oban 14 is my go to. For some reason, I tend to not like Islay region pours...

I'm just the opposite. I like that smoky-peaty flavor. I'd go with Talisker in this range but that's just me.