[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A profession other than what you currently do

whomper

Im sure there is a good amount of people on here that are doing the profession they always wanted to do as well as people who are doing what they need to do to make a living but always thought of doing something else. I am in sales for a textiles manufacturer in NYC. I always really wanted to do advertising. I always felt I could come up with some possible creative stuff for TV commercials. I have one that recently jumped out at me. A company can either do this as a long campaign or a quick hitter. You show an owner of an NFL football team at home watching last years superbowl as they announce Peyton Manning as the MVP. Then you show that same owner watching this years superbowl as they watch Eli getting announced as this years MVP. Then you zoom in on the owners face as the lightbulb goes off and the next thing you know that particular team is in Hot pursuit of Cooper Manning. If it was the Cowboys you could even do a quick flash of Romo with suitcases in front of him as a bus pulls up to take him out of town. If you did it as a long campaign you could start with his press conference then lead to him at camp throwing Ducks but they are determined to mold him into something. There is all kinds of fun you can have with it.

Another one I thought of that happens to be sports related is for the NBA. I am pretty sure I posted this one on here once before. The ad is just to promote the NBA. You have 4 young guys in a car that pull up to a toll booth that you have to throw coins in. So the driver goes to throw the coin in and the guy in the back seat blocks the shot. The driver gets pissed and tries to throw another coin in and the guy in the backseat blocks the shot again and taunts him. The next scene cuts to all 4 guys out of the car in full 2 on 2 with passengers from other cars outside their cars cheering. The climax is one guy goes for a twon hand slow motion dunk of the coin and sends it home right in the face as the defender falls. When they cut to real time again a toll collector from another booth comes in blows the whistle and calls a charge then you quickly pan to an overhead shot and a hugh crowd of hundreds maybe thousands of people let out a collective groan of dissaproval for the charge call. Anyway just thought I would share a few of these. Have you ever wanted to do something different that you have some passion for but just cant ? I would love to do it but would have to start at some sort of entry position I would assume and the dip in initial salary would be impossible to absorb.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whomp, your post is too long. please condense so i will be motivated to try to understand you.

I want to be in advertising and possibly murder a few people in the garment center before I leave

Have you ever wanted to do something different that you have some passion for but just cant ? I would love to do it but would have to start at some sort of entry position I would assume and the dip in initial salary would be impossible to absorb.

I think about this all the time. I do a lot of writing on internet sites in regards to high school sports. Mostly wrestling, but, also, some football. I've had lots of people tell me that I should become a sportswriter. My passion for sports is certainly a lot higher than my passion for being a network admin, but, like you said, I would have to start at the bottom, and I simply couldn't do it. I also feel that coaching wrestling or football would be something that I would succeed in. However, when I was an assistant football coach, I realized that, with my job, I simply don't have the hours available to do it well. :wacko:

Yeah, I think I would have either went the teaching route or possibly or be a lawyer. I am thinking a teacher though (middle school to high school) I like being around kids and I like coaching so this would have fit better. Less money then what I make but eventually getting to an administration position would help there.

I also would consider something more blue coller, a trade of some sort, being my own boss and selling my own business. That's a tough market at times but I think if you work hard enough with quality you can do well in any times.

I've often wanted to be a high school teacher for some new technology. Video, Computers, Graphic Design... something like that. Public or private school, I'm not picky. I could also coach the girls volleyball team. Actually, maybe that's a bad idea.

Other than that, I would like to sell textiles.

I have always thought a Veterinarian would have been fun.

We talk about it every year on our ski vacation. What would it take to say the hell with it and go live in a ski town and run a lift, wait tables, shovel sidewalks and the two or three hours a week you have free hit the slopes of a mountain you know like the back of your hand. In all reality this is what it would take, but when do you decide that I don't need a house, retirement, two cars, etc. Basically live a dream and fun in life and whatever comes is whatever comes.

I have always thought a Veterinarian would have been fun.

Funny you say that. . .if I were ever given the Inside the Actor's Studio questionaire, my answer to "What Profession Would You Never Do?" would be veterinarian. Seeing innocent animals in pain kills me. I can't even watch those vet shows on Animal Planet. They break my heart.

Funny you say that. . .if I were ever given the Inside the Actor's Studio questionaire, my answer to "What Profession Would You Never Do?" would be veterinarian. Seeing innocent animals in pain kills me. I can't even watch those vet shows on Animal Planet. They break my heart.

Wouldn't you actually see far more innocent animals in pain if you were a vet?

I hate to see innocent animals in pain, and I guess I'm lucky... because in my work as a technical project manager, I see very little of that sort of thing. The amount of animals in pain that I see would have to increase exponentially if I became a doctor who specialized in injured animals.

That's just common sense. :wacko:

I want to be in advertising and possibly murder a few people in the garment center before I leave

I've often wanted to be a high school teacher for some new technology. Video, Computers, Graphic Design... something like that. Public or private school, I'm not picky. I could also coach the girls volleyball team. Actually, maybe that's a bad idea.

Other than that, I would like to sell textiles.

:wacko: to both of the above

Wouldn't you actually see far more innocent animals in pain if you were a vet?

I hate to see innocent animals in pain, and I guess I'm lucky... because in my work as a technical project manager, I see very little of that sort of thing. The amount of animals in pain that I see would have to increase exponentially if I became a doctor who specialized in injured animals.

That's just common sense. :D

I thought that's what I said. . . :wacko:

my crappy handicap prevents be from pursuing one of my dream careers.

thinking that "size doesn't matter" gets in the way of the other.

Dude - as much as you and I disagreed on things earlier in the year on the whole injury thing (still feel the same as I did ---- debate anyone??), These are the very two things that first popped into my head as well. Then I read your post and wondered if I'd already responded to this thread and had forgotten. :wacko:

In no certain order and not a complete list ... off the top of my head:

College professor

Vintage baseball card collector / dealer

Drive earth moving equipment (bulldozer, bobcat, road grader, etc)

Movie actor (no TV)

Author -- philosophical musings and/or little kids books

Architect

Tree trimmer