[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Castro resigns

wiegie

but fear not, his brother will likely take over

Castro Resigns Cuban Presidency

Feb 19 03:19 AM US/Eastern

HAVANA (AP) - Ailing leader Fidel Castro resigned as Cuba's president from nearly a half-century early Tuesday, saying in a letter published in online official media that he would not accept a new term when the newly elected parliament meets on Sunday.

"I will not aspire nor accept—I repeat I will not aspire or accept, the post of President of the Council of State and Commander in Chief," read a letter signed by Castro published quietly overnight without advance warning in the online edition of the Communist Party daily Granma.

The new National Assembly is meeting for first time Sunday since January elections to pick the governing Council of State, including the presidency Castro holds. There had been wide speculation about whether he would accept a nomination for reelection to that post or retire.

The 81-year-old Castro's overnight announcement effectively ends his rule of almost 50 years over Cuba, positioning his 76-year-old brother Raul for permanent succession to the presidency.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 81-year-old Castro's overnight announcement effectively ends his rule of almost 50 years over Cuba, positioning his 76-year-old brother Raul for permanent succession to the presidency.

Oh yeah, that smacks of a long-term solution.

Oh yeah, that smacks of a long-term solution.

Really. It's long been time to end this embargo. Hopefully it won't take long.

I think if we open up communication perhaps we can influence the people down there in a positive way to make changes.

Well I'll be danged! History! Like watching the Berlin Wall come down.

At first I thought, "Castro re-signed with who?" until I realized it was the REAL Castro. Can an announcement about Osama bin Laden be far behind?

I keep thinking the same thing every time I see the title. I wonder what kind of cap hit the commies will take for this? :wacko:

It's Funny what time will change. 50 years ago Castro was considered a huge threat and the country worried over what he would do almost to the point of starting a 3rd world war. Fast forward to now & the best he can muster is the brunt of age jokes at thehuddle.com. :D

Edit: Although I'm sure Cubans would disagree.

Edited by rajncajn

:wacko:

Nevertheless.............

The 2007 CIA World Factbook reveals that the average life expectancy for Cubans is 77.08 years. The book, an annual publication compiled by the U.S. Central Intelligence Agency, contains statistical information on countries worldwide. The Factbook notes that life expectancy in the United States is 78 years.

Furthermore .................

78 minus 77.08 equals +0.92

I can live where I want, eat what I want, work where I want, act like I want, say what I want . . . . and I still live longer.

Here's some interesting stats:

In 1960, Cuban life expectancy was 62.3, in 2005 it's 76.7, an increase of 14.4

The same years, US life expectancy is 69.7 and 77.1 an increase of 7.4

1960 was the first full year of communism in Cuba.