[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vilma given permission to seek trade

rajncajn

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football...ay.html?ref=rss

If he can stay healthy I'd much rather have him as a Saint than Zach Thomas even if he can't start right away.

Jonathan Vilma can fly away

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Friday, February 22nd 2008, 4:00 AM

Jonathan Vilma's days with the Jets are numbered.

The popular linebacker, whose star has dimmed in two seasons under Eric Mangini, has received permission from the Jets to shop himself for a potential trade, the Daily News has learned. It doesn't mean a trade is a certainty, but it's a tacit acknowledgement from both sides that Vilma and Mangini's 3-4 scheme aren't a match.

Vilma, with one year remaining on his rookie contract, also is looking for a long-term deal. Now, with the Jets' blessing, he has the ability to speak with any team. If he agrees to a new contract, it will be up to that team and the Jets to negotiate trade compensation. The Jets could keep him, but they know they won't receive anything next year if he bolts as a free agent. A team spokeman declined comment.

It's unclear what the Jets are seeking, but there's no doubt that Vilma's value took a hit because of major knee surgery last November. Vilma has started jogging and hopes to be running full speed in about a month, he wrote this week on his Web site. If he can show he's healthy before the April 26 draft, it will greatly enhance his stock. Sources believe the Jets could get a third-round pick, perhaps slightly higher, for a healthy Vilma.

The Jaguars and Saints are believed to be among the potential suitors. The Saints have made no secret of their desire to acquire a middle linebacker, as they've already made an offer to former Dolphin Zach Thomas. Former Jets defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson was recently hired by the Jaguars as an assistant, which explains their interest.

Edited by rajncajn

Saints makes great sense, but I thought Peterson has done a decent enough job at MLB for the Jags, other than injuries the past couple of years.

Edited by Ziachild007

not sure this has been noted yet, but he was given permission to seek a trade to any team but one....gee, can you guess which team that was? :D the jets are such b*tches. quite an inferiority complex going on down I-95. :D:wacko:

If I'm the saints, I make the move right now.

A 3rd round pick for someone who could possibly never play a down and has declined the past 2 years? I'll pass...

Now if they want to make it a conditional pick based on his play I'd be more than happy.

A 3rd round pick for someone who could possibly never play a down and has declined the past 2 years? I'll pass...

Now if they want to make it a conditional pick based on his play I'd be more than happy.

I guess I missed the severity of the knee injury... I thought he was supposed to be ready to go at the start of the season... Although I don't think his decline in production was due to his skills declining, but playing in a system that he wasn't meant to play in. I retract my original statement...

Edited by piratesownninjas

I guess I missed the severity of the knee injury... I thought he was supposed to be ready to go at the start of the season... Although I don't think his decline in production was due to his skills declining, but playing in a system that he wasn't meant to play in. I retract my original statement...

I'll try to find a link, but I've seen talk that the injury may be more of a reason for trading him than him not fitting the system. But I agree, if healthy I think he would be back to his old form in a 4-3. I would certainly love to have him & I think the risk-reward is much better than it would be with Zach or Morgan, but giving up a 3rd straight up may not be a good idea unless they really do their homework on his knee. I would be a heck of a lot more comfortable with a conditional pick even if it meant a Pro Bowl season equaled a 2nd rounder.

"Sources tell Black and Gold the Saints are interested in Linebacker Jonathan Vilma and possibly Cornerback Asante Samuel.

Sources close to Black and Gold tell us that LB Jonathan Vilma may have visited the New Orleans Saints facility yesterday (Monday). If true, they can't determine if it was for a physical, workout or to discuss a contract, but they claim Vilma spent the majority of the day at the Saints facilities."

http://blackandgold.com/news/latest/new-or...0080226122.html

Edited by rajncajn

You may have reached this page because you clicked an old or incorrect link. When we moved from .NET to .COM, we tried to move as many of our old links and images as possible.

If you've reached this page, please use the main menu and click "Start" to return to the home page. To return to the forums click "Forums."

Thank You!!!

Black and Gold!!

That would be quite an off season if they were to land Samuel and have Vilma return from an injury...

Details are sketchy at best regarding Vilma's knee issue... :wacko:

Vilma would not say if that was the type of surgery he had. “I can’t get into specifics,” he said. “I don’t know if I’m allowed to say or not.”

What is known for certain is that Vilma was diagnosed with osteochondritis dissecans as a teenager. It's a bone defect that can cause instability and loose particles in joints, most commonly in knee joints.

:D

It sounds like it is a chronic, degenerative problem rather than anything that is career ending. The end game apparently is a certain type of arthritis.

Sure sounds like a buyer beware thing with Vilma.

Per PFT's rumor mill

POSTED 8:57 p.m. EST, February 26, 2008

VILMA TO LIONS?

The New York Jets are shopping linebacker Jonathan Vilma, a 4-3 defender who has struggled in coach Eric Mangini's 3-4 system.

A league source tells us that the current favorites to land Vilma are the Lions.

Another question mark regarding Vilma is a knee injury that significantly limited him in 2007. If healthy, he's capable of creating real havoc.