[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

great trick on the credit card companies

polksalet

Aight, I have never tried this but a budy of mine just did it and we will see what happens. He has started taking the pre-paid envelope labels that come from credit card companies and attaching them to boxes which contain rash from around his house and sending them back to the cc company. He claims that they will deliver the trash to the cc company and charge them for it. He claims a friend of his has been doing this for some time and has managed to get off of the mailing lists for nearly every cc company.

Does this work? Surely the brain trust here can verify this theory/story.

From Snopes:

"Returning junk mail to direct mailers on their dime (by stuffing it back into their postage-paid return envelopes) may cost them some money and provide you with a bit of personal satisfaction, but it won't cut down on the amount of junk mail you receive. In fact, it may actually increase your junk mail load, since the primary metric used to gauge the effectiveness of many direct mail campaigns is the number of responses received (even if those responses are negative)."

From Snopes:

"Returning junk mail to direct mailers on their dime (by stuffing it back into their postage-paid return envelopes) may cost them some money and provide you with a bit of personal satisfaction, but it won't cut down on the amount of junk mail you receive. In fact, it may actually increase your junk mail load, since the primary metric used to gauge the effectiveness of many direct mail campaigns is the number of responses received (even if those responses are negative)."

as much as I wish you were wrong...you are absolutely correct...

I would love to send them stuff back from around the house...maybe even a picture of a crap after I just dropped it with a scratch n sniff attached...

I've heard of attaching it to a brick and sending it back.

Could be an urban legend.

This is from the 60's-70's. Abbie Hoffman was the original. wrote about it in one of his books against the establishment. did it a few times, don't remember who it was sent to or if it ever got delivered.

From Snopes:

This sounds about right. But really, I've never done it and have never seen it being done. :wacko:

I was going to post the exact same thing. But since I'm a flaming liberal:

how hard is it to just throw it in the recycle bin? :D

during the course of the week, this crap eats up a good portion of my trash can...

one credit card company does it every day...maybe 2/3 days...

the other does it every other day...

then you have random other crazy companies offering car insurance... not to mention all the other junk mail I get...

screw them :wacko:

during the course of the week, this crap eats up a good portion of my trash can...

We have curb side recycling every other week. Since we made an effort to stop throwing away paper and recycle it instead we have cut our garbage pickup to the same schedule. We save a few bucks every month.

I work out of home, and my company wants me to actually put in an order for office supplies instead of just picking paper up and charging it. I've made some really good use out of old crap with a blank side I don't need as of late.

We have curb side recycling every other week. Since we made an effort to stop throwing away paper and recycle it instead we have cut our garbage pickup to the same schedule. We save a few bucks every month.

same poopy...we recycle too...that's why it puts a dent, because we only have 2 buckets, so we have to get plenty white trash bags...that is what we use for recyclables instead of black..

I work out of home, and my company wants me to actually put in an order for office supplies instead of just picking paper up and charging it. I've made some really good use out of old crap with a blank side I don't need as of late.

good chit..

Um, snopes is wrong.

I actually did this. I would take every single one of those cc apps and write NO THANKS on them. Then I would stuff everything they sent me plus any other junk mail I had lying around in the postage paid envelope and mail it back to them. It took about a year of doing this, but I stopped receiving applications. I've never tried sending them something big back, maybe that would have got my message across faster. :wacko:

This is from the 60's-70's. Abbie Hoffman was the original. wrote about it in one of his books against the establishment. did it a few times, don't remember who it was sent to or if it ever got delivered.

And here I believed Al Gore's claim to have invented the approach ... :wacko:

Rather than waist a year ridding yourself of these offers, call the 800 number included and ask them to take you off the list for new offers.

Or go digging through the river for bricks and the like... :wacko: