[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Solar Power

Footballjoe

In an earlier post I mentioned I am in the preplanning stages of building a Greenhouse. It will be 150 sq ft and will face directly South. I figure Solar would be the way to go to provide Heat in the winter and to run a cooling vent fan as needed. The problem is I have no idea on what would be needed or the cost. I just started looking at some sites but would appreciate any advice you can give. Thanks :wacko:

Thanks for the posts. I have been doing a lot of research the past few days and am beginning to see what I need to do. I will build a Passive Solar Greenhouse in order to retain as much heat as possible. I found a lot of site on how to do it and have a good idea of how I want to do mine. I still need to see if it would be cost effective to have a solar panel to operate ny backup heat source. Living in Virginia I do not hav to deal with the harsh winters so it may be ok to have my backup heater run off electric.

There is one piece of information I found but forgot to save and cannot find it again. The panels or glazing Polycarbonate) should be angled to allow maxium light to come in. I saw what the angle was and the adjustment that should be made for the area you live in but now I cannot find it. :wacko: If anyones know or wants a project I have no objection. :D

If you're looking for the angle of the sun to the earth at various times of the year, I think Polk is your man. He owns a sextant.

No I am looking for what angle to tilt the panels to allow maxium sunlight in. I saw it but forgot what it was. I also needed to make a slight adjustment for my area.

27.5 degrees if anyone is interested

Are you putting them on the Greenhouse or on the roof of your house? The house option allows full light to enter your greenhouse.

Kalifornica had some strange policies regarding solar power. Basically, you still had to be a customer of a power company. Your meter would spin backwards if you were using less than you panels produced into the grid. if your panels produced more than you used from the company, they would not however, pay you... it was just a "free" month.

Even then, I spent the money and got some tax breaks, but more than anything was just trying to be "green". What I had to pay and the financing on them was not much of an overall savings, at least in the short term over not having them.

Are you putting them on the Greenhouse or on the roof of your house? The house option allows full light to enter your greenhouse.

Kalifornica had some strange policies regarding solar power. Basically, you still had to be a customer of a power company. Your meter would spin backwards if you were using less than you panels produced into the grid. if your panels produced more than you used from the company, they would not however, pay you... it was just a "free" month.

Even then, I spent the money and got some tax breaks, but more than anything was just trying to be "green". What I had to pay and the financing on them was not much of an overall savings, at least in the short term over not having them.

I am referring to the angle of the Polycarbonate panels (or glass used by some). It will be used as the South wall of the Greenhoue. The correct angle allows for maxium sunlight to enter.

Do I know anything about solar power?

Yes.

It involves trapping and storing energy from the sun for use in the future. Generally, it can't be stored for eons and must be used relatively quickly.

Hope this was helpful.

Not to hijack your post but will you make another thread and show the economics of operating a greenhouse? I think I could make some good money running one of them here raising vegetables in he winter.

Do I know anything about solar power?

Yes.

It involves trapping and storing energy from the sun for use in the future. Generally, it can't be stored for eons and must be used relatively quickly.

Hope this was helpful.

Helpful, but incorrect. Solar energy can be converted and stored by plants. The plants can them be eaten by dinosaurs who in term store the energy. The dinosaurs then can die and get turned into coal. Then eons later the coal can be burned to release the energy that originally came from the sun.

If I were a PR guy for the coal and oil industry, I would rename it as "long-term solar energy".

what an absolute crock of shiat. From what I have heard, in Michigan you do indeed get paid (or at least credited) if you are a net supplier of energy to the grid.

Sure. What do you need to know? Just finished teaching an entire unit on all the different kinds of power we have in the world.

guys, it is called net metering. And Wiegie, you do not get full credit for all the energy you put into the grid system. Here is the way it works.

You obviously will have days where your panels produce enough energy to run your electricity....anything extra flows back into the grid. But there are days where you produce very little and you draw off the grid. You can only get credited for what you use from the grid, anything extra is free to the power company....IOW....in my understanding....there is no rollover "minutes" LOL. It is a use it or lose it system.

if anyone is interested or has time, go to Citizenre.com and check it out. I don't know if I am interested in being a rep, but if one were to be part of an MLM scheme...at least this has some environmental advantages to it. Plus they make it easy to get. You are paying for your electric bill already.....you simply lock in your current kilowatt charge and pay that to citizenre.....and they profit instead of Excelon. Anyway...pretty cool business model.