[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

For those of you that don't like to fly........

Hugh 0ne

F-ckin' A that was intense for sure.

I'm surprised as hell that the plane took back off with the pilot not knowing what kind of damage might have been done to the wings. But in the pilot's mind, the alternative was probably a crash right there on the ground. Tough situation to be sure.

Flying to Europe tomorrow night. :wacko:

Gotta admire both the pilot and the plane though - fast decision to boot it back into the air when it looked like it might drift off the runway then an immediate response from the machine itself. Awesome.

I'm still waiting for a logical explanation to the fact that they tried to land a plane with 131 passengers on board with winds of 155MPH.

Are you serious? 155mph winds???

Isn't that like tornado - level winds?

Holy dogsh-t Batman. :wacko:

Are you serious? 155mph winds???

Isn't that like tornado - level winds?

Holy dogsh-t Batman. :wacko:

That's gotta be a type-o. Them thar's cat 5 hurricane winds. All airports shut down at cat 1 or 2 (possibly even tropical storm winds) down here. If I was that pilot I think I would have been a little pissed that I wasn't diverted to an airport a tad less "breezy".

The way that plane was going in almost sideways...I've landed in a small commuter plane like that and I've told people for years how after it touches down the plane almost jerks straight just like that did....scary poopy indeed. I couldn't imagine what that was like in a large commercial jet. :wacko:

That's gotta be a type-o. Them thar's cat 5 hurricane winds. All airports shut down at cat 1 or 2 (possibly even tropical storm winds) down here. If I was that pilot I think I would have been a little pissed that I wasn't diverted to an airport a tad less "breezy".

Although the winds were the result of a hurricane remnant, it looks like the media may have been interchaging miles for kilometers. That still means that winds were approaching 100 mph though.

VIENNA: A winter storm with winds of more than 150km/h cut a swath of destruction across Europe from Britain to the Czech Republic, killing at least nine people.

In Europe, where the storm was named Hurricane Emma, airports were shut, transport networks were snarled and power lines cut.

In The Netherlands, the storm delayed planes at Schiphol international airport in Amsterdam. The dikes that keep the North Sea from flooding much of the country were being watched because of high water levels, Radio Netherlands reported.

In Germany, trains were delayed by uprooted trees and an intercity express collided with a fallen tree between the cities of Cologne and Koblenz, injuring the driver.

Nearly 130 flights to or from Frankfurt airport were either cancelled or diverted, when the storm, packing winds of between 155km/h and 180km/h lashed parts of central Europe.

The storms left a mounting death toll across the region.

Austrian media reported that four people had died as a result of the storm, three of them foreigners on holiday.

In the Czech Republic, an 11-year-old girl was killed by a falling tree north of Prague, and flying metal sheets struck and killed an 80-year-old priest in a town east of the central European country's capital.

Europe began feeling the effects of Emma late on Friday night, local time, according to Germany's national weather service. German authorities were urging residents to stay indoors until the worst of the storm had passed.

I'm still waiting for a logical explanation to the fact that they tried to land a plane with 131 passengers on board with winds of 155 MPH. That is completely insane.

The angle (yaw) of that plane was unreal, but I had a similar landing on a turbo-jet flight many years ago. I'm looking out the side window and I see the middle of the runway! :wacko:

155Kph = 96.255 Mph. Still too strong to land IMHO! Scary chit, and that pilot should get a raise and a medal for what he did. According to what I heard/read, he circled and successfully landed. :D

i wouldve either shat all over myself or had a heart attack.

In the words of the immortal Bill Cosby:

"First you say it.....then you do it!". :wacko:

here in the Azores we get pretty crazy winds in the winter time....most airforce "heavy" airplanes wont land or take off with more than 40knots of crosswinds....that was frightning to say the least. I'd be willing to bet that the wing wasnt damage much at all with the exception of some minor sheetmetal damage...wings flex alot lol

Edited by Robash

That approach wouldn't have gotten to me, but the go back up, circle around and try it again would have.

There would simply be something comforting knowing you're CLOSE to the ground and being sketchy rather than gaining altitude and STILL being sketchy.