[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Race consideration and your vote.

McBoog

Race consideration and your vote.  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Is voting for or against a candidate based in ANY way on their race, no matter how small, acceptable?

• No. Policy and politics should drive the vote.
    • Depends on how the Candidate deals with the issue.
    • Yes. Ethnocentrism is a valid factor.
    • Yes. Other reason (please discuss)
    • Other (please discuss)
    • Puddy

In light of all the ugliness going on in the Democrat Primary, I was thinking about this.

My wife is Hispanic, Mom European, and the God Parents of our children are a mixed bag of religions and races. Does any of that matter to me. NOPE! I love them for who they are as people.

Given that...

ANYONE that votes FOR or AGAINST someone based on their race, even if it is just one hundredth of one percent of their decision, is a racist.

The policies and politics of that person should be the ONLY criteria used to select your public representatives.

I repeat, if you use race as ANY part of your pro or con selection, no matter how small, you are a racist.

:wacko:

THIS IS NOT INTENDED TO BE A PRO OR CON OBAMA THREAD! (Though clearly this is the general topic that made me think about this).

Edited by McBoog

Acceptable? Voting is a private matter. :wacko: People will vote who they like best.

Is stupidity acceptable?

I could not vote for LULU

please tell me that your a Martian.

Is it fair that you have to be a natural born citizen to qualify?

Even tho you may have lived here your entire life.

Edited by moneymakers

I could not vote for LULU

please tell me that your a Martian.

Is it fair that you have to be a natural born citizen to qualify?

Even tho you may have lived here your entire life.

:wacko:

:D If you live here your whole life why are you not a citizen. McCain being born in th Canal Zone makes no sense. He's a citizen.

Like I said voting is a private matter. People vote for who they like or think will be better for the country. Some don't like or trust black people. So what?

Kennedy was still the only catholic president as far as I know. There is an uphill climb electing a lot of people.

I should have, and in my haste to create a poll (since I am unfamiliar) meant to include this as gender as well.

In retrospect, racist may not be the best choice of words. Bigoted or prejudice may be more applicable. I know that as a bystander to this discussion/process, I have been angered by people who are outwardly saying that they ARE or are NOT voting for one or the other based on gender or race. It POs me greatly, because I don't think we end up with representatives of an specific political ideology and it makes it harder to "know" the candidate and what they would really do, or not, should they win.

As de-polarizing as we hope to be, this election cycle seems to be more polarizing than ever. :wacko:

Edited by McBoog

I should have, and in my haste to create a poll (since I am unfamiliar) meant to include this as gender as well.

In retrospect, racist may not be the best choice of words. Bigoted or prejudice may be more applicable. I know that as a bystander to this discussion/process, I have been angered by people who are outwardly saying that they ARE or are NOT voting for one or the other based on gender or race. It POs me greatly, because I don't think we end up with representatives of an specific political ideology and it makes it harder to "know" the candidate and what they would really do, or not, should they win.

As de-polarizing as we hope to be, this election cycle seems to be more polarizing than ever. :wacko:

There are some people that want it to be(polarized). Divide and conquer still works in some quarters. I would hope we could have a race based o issues and ban the 721's that spout fear but doubt if we'll get that.

There are a lot of people that don't trust women as president or certain races and I'm not sure we can end that anytime soon.

Would you vote for Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton? If no, would it have anything to do with race?

I have no problem voting for any race as long as race does not play a huge part in how that person conducts his/her business.

On a side note I am not sure I coulod handle watching the state of the Union and have the President say " I aks for the support of..." Not a big fan of the use of the word (or not word) Aks instead of ask.

Thats interesting coming from somone whose every post on the tailgate is about race.

My posts that have to deal with race are almost entirely about reverse racism. Do you not think Al Sharpton is a racist? Was it right that most african americans cheered when OJ was found innocent? Did they cheer because he was truly innocent or because of his race? Did the Duke players get there lives turned upside because they were white? Those are the things that bother me.

I have friends who are black/mexican/asian and they are as good of friends as any of my white friends. I would not have a friend who is "reverse racist" like Sharpton and I also would not be a friend of a white person who likes or dislikes purely based on race.

I could care less if my boss or coworkers are white/black/orange as long as they are teh right person for the job. If getting that job had anything to do with satisfying any type of regulation.

I would hope that any black coach in the NFL gets the job because he is the one qualified for the job - If a white coach is the guy for the job then he should get the job and the team should not HAVE to interview ANYONE else.

People are people and should be treated as people regardless. There is no differnce between the black people you see on cops and the white trailer trash you see on cops.

Some people seem to take one aspect of their person, and make it the sole focus of their identity. Whether thats race, gender, sexual preference, career, religion, etc. I think that those people who cannot balance their own sense of self across all categories probably won't make the best elected officials. When your focus is only through that one lens (of race or otherwise) then there is too much opportunity for that person to not see the bigger picture.

So, to answer your question, YES race is a legitimate reason to vote for or against someone, depending upon how that person sees themself in terms of race.

People are people and should be treated as people regardless.

Agree.

If a person genuinely thinks a candidate won't do a good job because women aren't tough or blacks/latinos don't have the skills to run the country how do you change that? Is that racist?

Hell it wasn't that long ago that blacks weren't thought of as good QB's because they didn't have the mental ability to run a team. Attitudes change as people get to know different people.

The best thing to do is really get to know the candidates in my opinion.

By the way, Obama is set to deliver a major speech on race. Should be interesting given the recent events:

March 17, 2008

Categories: Barack Obama

Obama plans major race speech tomorrow

Barack Obama will give a major speech on "the larger issue of race in this campaign," he told reporters in Monaca, PA just now.

He was pressed there, as he has been at recent appearances, on statements by his former pastor, Jeremiah Wright.

"I am going to be talking about not just Reverend Wright, but the larger issue of race in this campaign," he said.

He added that he would "talk about how some of these issues are perceived from within the black church issue for example," he said.

He also briefly defended Wright from the image that has come through in a handful of repeatedly televised clips from recent Wright sermons.

"The caricature that’s being painted of him is not accurate," he said.

The speech could offer Obama an opportunity to move past the controversy over his pastor, and to turn the conversation to a topic he'd rather focus on: his Christian faith. But the speech also guarantees that the Wright story will continue to dominate political headlines.

Mitt Romney's attempt directly to address his Mormonism last year never decisively put the issue to rest for some voters.

Obama's schedule puts him in Philadelphia tomorrow.

By Ben Smith 01:40 PM

Mr. Boog,

I chose option number two...because of one simple reason....warfare in politics. While I believe in option one as a matter of principle....option 2 would be palatable....simply because it allows for people voting against someone like Alan Keyes because he supports reparations for black americans who are decendants of slaves. Or for the raving feminist who wants to have a National Castration Day. Option 2 is the way I feel most people vote....

I will not voe for anyone who thinks their genetics make them superior. However culture and religion are two totally different matters. Those are matters of choice.

I dunno. If someone thinks they are superior to me it better be because of the merits of their deeds and/or ideas. Why a candidate's races, religion, or gender are made to be an issue is beyond me. If someone is crazy, or unqualified, I don't really care what the reason is.