[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What can the average joe do to take advantage of the credit crunch?

Cunning Runt

I consider myself reasonably intelligent on most things, but admittedly finances are not one of them.

I'm interested in hearing practical ways that a normal family man (in my case that = a wife & three kids) with great credit and good HH income can do to use the credit crisis to our advantage. What are some things we can be doing that may not have been opportunities for us absent this crunch?

Id put it in a mutual fund/hedge fund. Great time for good funds to be spending money in the market

401K mutuals are in a really good position to buy a lot of shares in anticipation of a recovery. Anyone with a 401k should stand pat, IMO, as long as they're diversified enough.

If you believe in "Buy Low, Sell High", invest in stock....this pullback is creating a terrific buying opportunity for long-term holds. Buy consumer goods companies (P&G, Coca-Cola, etc.) that produce staples...demand for products in these companies rarely wanes, but their stock prices have fallen in sync with the market. They will likely be the first to recover.

You may also want to consolidate any fixed loans you may have that are currently 8% or higher into a loan that is tied to prime. I am currently sitting at 4.99% on my interest-only home equity loan, which I have at Prime -1.01%. This rate will likely stay well below 8% (most car loans/student loans/etc. are in this neighborhood or higher) for the foreseeable future (2-3 years).

I consider myself reasonably intelligent on most things, but admittedly finances are not one of them.

I'm interested in hearing practical ways that a normal family man (in my case that = a wife & three kids) with great credit and good HH income can do to use the credit crisis to our advantage. What are some things we can be doing that may not have been opportunities for us absent this crunch?

step 1, dig a hole in the yard...

seriously, i wish i knew. sorta seems like a good time to buy stock (either directly, or through mutual funds), but you never know when some other turd will hit the fan and drive things down further. still probably a good idea if you're thinking long term. but who really knows?

Do tons of research and buy a home on the cheap from a distressed seller, then become a landlord. Rents are up, prices on real estate are down. Eventually the prices will go back up, so in the long term you'll likely get the appreciation and the rental income. You obviously need to figure out how to operate the business aspects of a rental, and your profit margins are way better if you can do your own home improvements. But that's what I'd do, if I had the spare cash *and* sufficient income to cover the mortgage on the rental property even if it were empty for 5-6 months out of the year.

Edited by yo mama

Do tons of research and buy a home on the cheap from a distressed buyer, then become a landlord. Rents are up, prices on real estate are down. Eventually the prices will go back up, so in the long term you'll likely get the appreciation and the rental income. You obviously need to figure out how to operate the business aspects of a rental, and your profit margins are way better if you can do your own home improvements. But that's what I'd do, if I had the spare cash *and* sufficient income to cover the mortgage on the rental property even if it were empty for 5-6 months out of the year.

In all seriousness, this is what I would do right now.

it actually will screw people. mortgages will be harder to get, and they should be. more money down. higher rates. cc's will have higher rates. all consumer loans will have higher rates to price in risk.

I thought most CCs are close to their legal limit as is

it actually will screw people. mortgages will be harder to get, and they should be. more money down. higher rates. cc's will have higher rates. all consumer loans will have higher rates to price in risk.

more money down, but stable rates, not higher.

I thought most CCs are close to their legal limit as is

good info here

You may also want to consolidate any fixed loans you may have that are currently 8% or higher into a loan that is tied to prime. I am currently sitting at 4.99% 4.24% on my interest-only home equity loan, which I have at Prime -1.01%. This rate will likely stay well below 8% (most car loans/student loans/etc. are in this neighborhood or higher) for the foreseeable future (2-3 years).

fixed, per the rate cut today

Do tons of research and buy a home on the cheap from a distressed seller, then become a landlord. Rents are up, prices on real estate are down. Eventually the prices will go back up, so in the long term you'll likely get the appreciation and the rental income. You obviously need to figure out how to operate the business aspects of a rental, and your profit margins are way better if you can do your own home improvements. But that's what I'd do, if I had the spare cash *and* sufficient income to cover the mortgage on the rental property even if it were empty for 5-6 months out of the year.

I have seriously considered doing this, and might still, if I can find the time.

I have seriously considered doing this, and might still, if I can find the time.

FYI, it certainly helps if you have a construction company at your disposal to do heavy work. I've got a client in that situation and when his crew has down time he gets them to work on his side projects of scraping and rebuilding houses for rental or resale. Since he caps his costs on the construction work, its all about finding the right property at the right price. Its a speculative endeavor, but the times we're in make for some good speculating.

Fortunately or not, the Piney woods of East Texas are going to be tough to find many opportunities to do this. Texas has been one of the most stable real estate markets because we didn't see the run up in values nor do we allow the types of home equity loans that other states do. So if you are looking to employ this strategy, you may have to be open to looking out of state.

Texas has been one of the most stable real estate markets because we didn't see the run up in values nor do we allow the types of home equity loans that other states do.

True but your homebuilders are building houses out the wahzoo that no one is buying.