[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Miami per The Herd

dirtdickens

Mike Tice didn't either.

But as I said before, it would not be prudent to not try and get something in return as a result of a trade, and the player they then chose would still demand 1st-pick money if they tried that, ala McKinnie.

2 who?

That is the question. With the money these high draft picks get now, teams are finally figuring out that (especially in a draft like this one without huge can't miss prospects) it is not such a great deal. I can't imagine any team trading up to get the #1 this year.

I think that Parcell's will have a precedent setting draft with this first pick. I'm glad that he's in the position to maye start making some changes in the out-of-control rookie contracts. Can't wait... the draft is coming!!!

The whole draft could turn into a Mexican standoff with everybody refusing to make a pick until someone flinches.

Oh yeah, I can see that happening real easy. Bill is gonna take out the shotgun and blow the whole thing up. Should be verrrrry interesting.

I think that Parcell's will have a precedent setting draft with this first pick. I'm glad that he's in the position to maye start making some changes in the out-of-control rookie contracts. Can't wait... the draft is coming!!!

Can you elaborate on your thinking and the " precedent"statement........

Man... I can't believe this is even a discussion with these teams. Let me get this straight: you sit and watch the relative value of your pick drift away by letting people pick ahead of you, and risk losing the guy you want, AND probably face a hold out or at the very least, a difficult negotiation, over being picked later, but by the team with the draft slot of a higher pick?

I just don't get it. Make good picks and the players will still be worth the money of the higher pick.

Man... I can't believe this is even a discussion with these teams. Let me get this straight: you sit and watch the relative value of your pick drift away by letting people pick ahead of you, and risk losing the guy you want, AND probably face a hold out or at the very least, a difficult negotiation, over being picked later, but by the team with the draft slot of a higher pick?

I just don't get it. Make good picks and the players will still be worth the money of the higher pick.

The system is broke. Parcells might try to fix it his own way. Can you imagine the drama if he takes over the draft by passing on pick after pick. Throwing every team that drafts into sudden limbo. And he already asked permission to do it, so that is an indication right there. At least it is in the head of the other teams at this point. Parcells is a macabre genius.

Don't believe this for one minute. First of all, these teams have plenty of friggin money. They may not LIKE to spend 20-30 mil guaranteed for the first pick, but they can afford it. The only way a rookie salary cap will be installed is through the next CBA.

I think Miami either goes Jake Long or V. Gholsten (sp?): whichever one of those guys can agree to a deal before draft day.

Can you elaborate on your thinking and the " precedent"statement........

Every year the #1 overall pick pretty much gets a bigger and better deal than the #1 pick from the previous year. Parcell's is going to play several of the top rookies against each other until he gets one to agree to a deal that is lower than Russell's from last year. If none of them agree to his terms, he has the option to skip the pick outright... should be interesting.

They need to make the rookie contracts like the NBA...

Get those contracts under control and up the veteran minimum and start taking care of the former players.

That would be a good place to start. It's almost like a team is forced to pick a QB with the first pick in the draft with the money they will command.

It's probably a good reason that this can't be completely ignored as bs.

A key piece to this is that the NFL said it was okay to do it. How do we know the contract he is negotiating with Gholston isn't for the third or fourth pick? Before the Jets no one could use him other than the Dolphins.

I really dont see VG going #1. The guy had one year(really 8 games), inwhich he racked up most of his stats against garbage teams. True he had a sack against Long, but watch the games against Texas, Florida, LSU and Illinois-he had nothing. He disapears.

A key piece to this is that the NFL said it was okay to do it. How do we know the contract he is negotiating with Gholston isn't for the third or fourth pick? Before the Jets no one could use him other than the Dolphins.

I really dont see VG going #1. The guy had one year(really 8 games), inwhich he racked up most of his stats against garbage teams. True he had a sack against Long, but watch the games against Texas, Florida, LSU and Illinois-he had nothing. He disapears.

STL or ATL could take Gholston.

I think if Parcells sat around and let a team or 3 pick ahead of him, he's begging for a contract holdout because the agent will insist his pick was still "the #1 pick." So I don't think trading the pick is the same as going "pass" (even if you get squat for the trade). Plus Parcells loves to be in charge - why let someone else dictate who you may or may not get?

Agree 100% this is smokescreen BS.

I think if Parcells sat around and let a team or 3 pick ahead of him, he's begging for a contract holdout because the agent will insist his pick was still "the #1 pick." So I don't think trading the pick is the same as going "pass" (even if you get squat for the trade). Plus Parcells loves to be in charge - why let someone else dictate who you may or may not get?

Agree 100% this is smokescreen BS.

Yeah, but even if it is, it is still a good move. Parcells isn't letting anyone (players - agents - other teams drafting near the top) get comfortable with their positions. So in a way he IS dictating this thing because he is creating uncertainty for everyone else while he probably has a strategy mapped out to suit him based on how the chips fall between now and then.

I could see Parcells letting a few picks slide, get a guy he likes and then telling him, "Son, congratulations on being the 4th pick in the draft. We're excited to have you in Miami. Now, regarding your contract, because you were the 4th pick, we will be paying you like you were the 4th pick ... not the 1st and not the 10th. You're a fine football player that will help this team out. But, so there is no confusion, you were the 4th pick. If you think you were the 1st pick, I would suggest that this team has more than 50 other men on the field and one man, you, will not single-handedly change the fact that we were 1-15 last year. So, if you hold out, that is on you. You will be ruining your career. Holding out on a rookie contract has never helped anyone be a better football player. Again, congratulations, and welcome to Miami."