[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Value of TV

Footballjoe

Anyone know how to determine the value of an old TV? My son wants to buy one from his uncle but I think it is priced way to high. It is a:

Hitachi 46" built in 1993 model # 46EX3B

He wants $400. My son saw one on e bay for $300. IMO I would not give but $100 for a 15 yr old TV. It is working well.

Anyone?

I've got a 32" (I'm pretty sure it's a 32") RCA that is yours (or his) for free if you pick it up. It weighs about 200 pounds and no HD (because there was no HD back then, ya whippersnapper), but works perfectly otherwise.

I swear you can't give away these old TV's. :wacko:

I've got a 32" (I'm pretty sure it's a 32") RCA that is yours (or his) for free if you pick it up. It weighs about 200 pounds and no HD (because there was no HD back then, ya whippersnapper), but works perfectly otherwise.

:D RR had trouble getting rid of his too.

LordOpie makes an excellent point. $100 bucks for that TV is too much. If the uncle is hurting that badly for cash, he should at least have the decency to not try and take advantage of family. He should either man up and give it to him or put it on Craig's List.

Edited by Kid Cid

Son, uncle, old tv... isn't this one of those situations were the Uncle steps up to be cool and give it to him for free?

I've given all kinds of soon-to-be obsolete stuff (primarily computers that I've built) to my nephew and niece with nothing expected in return.

We need more info before calling the uncle -- i'm guessing not your brother -- a tool.

This is one of those dudes that every family has. He is 40 yrs old, living at home with mama. Most of the time has no job and full of health problems due to his weight problem. He is my wifes younger brother, the black sheep of the family. To his credit he has given my son CD's and playstation games. He sold my son a nice guitar for a reasonable price as well. He is only working a couple days a week right now and wants some cash. His brothers and sisters are feed up with him and will not help him finacially. Rightly so I may add. ANYHOW! :wacko: I really do not thnk the TV is worth it but just trying to teach and show my son the value of some things is not necessarily what someone wants.

P.S. He is also very smart. He knows everything about everything. :D

Timc, your tv is about as close to 200#'s as you could ever wear a banana hammock and appear any more than a 12 year old boy.

I wear a Members Only jacket most times to cover up the hammock. :wacko:

I never weighed it, but she can barely lift it over her head to carry it up and down the stairs.

I had a feeling he was a bro-in-law instead of your bro.

Also, I'm a little surprised that anyone getting a new/new-to-them TV these days are getting something other than a flat-panel HDTV. They're cheap enough and won't be obsolete anytime soon.

Also, is your son living at home? Is he planning on moving out in the next few years... a ~4" deep TV is a lot easier to move and if he's like most young people, he'll probably be moving regularly :D

He turned 18 in december. You know how it is when you are that age. You get something you want in your mind and can't let it go. He was seeing BIG TV. :wacko:

I agree. Old TVs, you're happy to get anything for. Plain and simple. Sucks for you bro in law that his life sucks and he has no money. Tell him if he can manage to convince somebody to buy that thing off him for $400 he should go sell used cars because he's a natural.

There are guys here who pick them up for free. It turns out they strip them down and use some of the ingredients for meth production.

Family members that charge other family members for things like this should be shot. I gave my sister-in-law a 37 inch TV barely over a year old when I upgraded to a 55 inch LCD, yet she expects $$$ when she begs us to come over and watch our 3 y/o, and then gas money on top of it :wacko:

FBJ $400 is wayyyyyy tooooo much for that TV, offer him a $100 or tell him to take a hike.

There are guys here who pick them up for free. It turns out they strip them down and use some of the ingredients for meth production.

Another good reason not to smoke meth.

"What's it made of? ummm... Sudafed. Drano. Old TV parts. It's good though."

Never heard of that before.

Someone's gonna snort my old TV. :wacko:

I had a big ass Sony Wega that I attempted to sell on Craigs list. After getting about 50 emails about trading 40 packs of mentos, a used tubesock, and some lube for it I realized it was easier just to give it away to my brother-in-law.