[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pretending to resist

detlef

So, today in the restaurant I was reminded of a funny dance that people do when the check is presented. In fact, I meant to post this story before.

The other day, my wife and I went out to eat with a friend. For various reasons that I wont bother going into, they sort of "owed us one". Because they're a stand up type, they knew this as well and quickly reached for the check when it came. Then comes the act from my wife.

"Oh really, you shouldn't. At least let us get the tip. Are you sure?" blah, blah, blah.

Why do people do this? Everyone at the table knew the score. It was "their turn" and they knew it. Hell, my wife certainly knew it. Why pretend otherwise?

I've got some friends that I go out with from time to time. When the check is big, we all kick in. When it's two of us grabbing a drink or two and it's $20, one of us grabs it. The typical response is, "Thanks, I'll get it next time." End of story. Then, the next time, you grab it. Sometimes the "next time" is 30 minutes later down the block. Sometime the "next time" is a few weeks later. It really doesn't matter. Why do people pretend it is otherwise? Is it rude to not pretend to fight it when somebodies going to buy your drink or plate of eggs?

Is anyone truly offended when somebody just lets it happen?

Edited by detlef

So, today in the restaurant I was reminded of a funny dance that people do when the check is presented. In fact, I meant to post this story before.

The other day, my wife and I went out to eat with a friend. For various reasons that I wont bother going into, they sort of "owed us one". Because they're a stand up type, they knew this as well and quickly reached for the check when it came. Then comes the act from my wife.

"Oh really, you shouldn't. At least let us get the tip. Are you sure?" blah, blah, blah.

Why do people do this? Everyone at the table knew the score. It was "their turn" and they knew it. Hell, my wife certainly knew it. Why pretend otherwise?

I've got some friends that I go out with from time to time. When the check is big, we all kick in. When it's two of us grabbing a drink or two and it's $20, one of us grabs it. The typical response is, "Thanks, I'll get it next time." End of story. Then, the next time, you grab it. Sometimes the "next time" is 30 minutes later down the block. Sometime the "next time" is a few weeks later. It really doesn't matter. Why do people pretend it is otherwise? Is it rude to not pretend to fight it when somebodies going to buy your drink or plate of eggs?

Is anyone truly offended when somebody just lets it happen?

THere's your answer right there. It is obviously caused by the presence of a vagina. :wacko:

My theory is that it all evens out in the end. When me and my friends go out, we either all just throw some money on the table, or one of us will pick up the check, and like you said someone else will get it the next time. Unfortunately none of us can get our wifes to figure out this philosophy. When the check comes they will start pulling calculators out of their purses. It drives me and my friends crazy when they do this.

I beg to differ, the only cheapskates I know are all conservatives.

I've always found conservatives to be generous with their own money, where as I've found liberals to be generous with other peoples money.

You kinda have to or you appear rude and/or cheap.

My grandfather-in-law always buys when it's the five of us, but if I don’t reach for my wallet, he’ll say something in a “joking” kind of way.

For some people, ya need to dance.

For some people, you need to tell them where to get off.

What I hate is when you make the token gesture, and then they take you up on it. :wacko:

Awkward.

Oh, so you really DO want me to leave the tip then? Ooooo Kaaaaay... here I go... I'm gonna do it... opening my wallet... last chance to stop me...

After golf last Sunday, I grabbed the check for the beers. My friend says "Oh, I'll get that." Nah. It's just a few beers.

So I say, "Remember that time, junior year of college (1995), when we went to Nightcaps after the TKE party, and I didn't have any cash? You bought me a beer."

"Really?"

"Maybe."