[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

American Airlines to start charging for checked bags

MojoMan

Its a $15 charge. Seems like a nuisance more than anything.

+1. In amongst a $400 ticket, this isn't that big of a deal. If it wasn't this, it'd be something else. The reality is that flying, like driving, costs more and that's just the way it is.

I think what they're doing is basically one of another giant F U's to the flying customer. An additional fee for your first checked bag, which you had to check because you can't carry on sufficient shampoo, shaving cream, etc. in your carryon for a week long trip. Personally, I think it sucks.

And while the $15 may not seem like much in the face of current ticket prices, it's just the principle of the thing that rankles me.

Its a $15 charge. Seems like a nuisance more than anything.

Let's see, a family of four, traveling during the summer, might only have 4-5 bags. That's about $60 to $100 extra. However, a family of four traveling around the holidays, having to pack a schitload of winter clothing for a 10 trip to Connecticut, that's easily a $100+ fee. This is particularly so as it appears that a second piece of luggage will cost $25.

I flew American Airlines last month and they can kiss the fattest part of my azz. The customer service I received on the flight was garbage. I was sitting in the first row @ the bulkhead behind first class. About 3 hours into my flight I asked the attendant if I could get some water for my son. She said " Sure would you mind walking to the back to pick it up?" I thought that was strange but maybe she was busy, so I followed her about 30 plus rows to the back where all the other flight attendants were sitting down BS'ing. She handed me a bottled water ( No verbal response), and sat down to start shooting the breeze. I was totally flamed!

I have flown allegiant air recently where they charge you $20 for a checked bag. They have easily the best customer service I have experienced in a long time. I was happy to pay the charge when I flew round trip from Las Vegas to Missoula for $120. Sorry for the rant.

Rising fuel costs....cant really blaim them

I can. I brought my ticket 2 months ago for a trip in October. If I knew they would charge for the first bag. I would have paid the extra money and went with Delta. I booked a flight early cause its cheaper and though that little $40 dollar difference wasn't too bad so I took the cheaper one. Now it's looking like Delta was cheaper after all. Because now I am going to have to pay 15+25= 40 X 2 = 80 (got wifey going with me)

Let's see, a family of four, traveling during the summer, might only have 4-5 bags. That's about $60 to $100 extra. However, a family of four traveling around the holidays, having to pack a schitload of winter clothing for a 10 trip to Connecticut, that's easily a $100+ fee. This is particularly so as it appears that a second piece of luggage will cost $25.

You already have to pay the $25 per second (or third, or forth) bag anyway. So the family of four is really only out a maximum of $60; less if certain members don't check any bags. That's really not much money. Besides, this is just basic economics at work. If their expenses go up they either raise prices or stop providing services. Would it be less inconvenient to you if the airline merely stop providing services, instead?

The only area I see a legit gripe is with those people who purchased their tickets before this change went into effect. If the airlines aren't exempting them from the $15 charge that's pretty dewshe.

You already have to pay the $25 per second (or third, or forth) bag anyway. So the family of four is really only out a maximum of $60; less if certain members don't check any bags. That's really not much money. Besides, this is just basic economics at work. If their expenses go up they either raise prices or stop providing services. Would it be less inconvenient to you if the airline merely stop providing services, instead?

The only area I see a legit gripe is with those people who purchased their tickets before this change went into effect. If the airlines aren't exempting them from the $15 charge that's pretty dewshe.

good point. I just like to complain. I can't remember the last time I flew American Airlines.

+1. In amongst a $400 ticket, this isn't that big of a deal. If it wasn't this, it'd be something else. The reality is that flying, like driving, costs more and that's just the way it is.

I don't much care about 15 bucks. My concern is that lots of other cheapskates will and use all of the overhead space.

I don't much care about 15 bucks. My concern is that lots of other cheapskates will and use all of the overhead space.

I LOVE it when the gate check folks bust people for trying to take on too many carry ons. Those rules should be enforced with an iron fist.

I can. I brought my ticket 2 months ago for a trip in October. If I knew they would charge for the first bag. I would have paid the extra money and went with Delta. I booked a flight early cause its cheaper and though that little $40 dollar difference wasn't too bad so I took the cheaper one. Now it's looking like Delta was cheaper after all. Because now I am going to have to pay 15+25= 40 X 2 = 80 (got wifey going with me)

According to the article, it is for flights purchased after June 15, so you shoudn't have to pay that fee.

Edited by Big John

2 words......

south west

I was never a big Southwest fan and had/have most of my miles tied up in AA but AA has gone downhill as of late. It's gotten to the point that I can't shove enough free drinks down my throat to justify the upgrade cost. :wacko: I've booked 3 trips in the last month and all have been through southwest.

So I don't fly first class now or get an assigned seat.

Edited by twiley

Continental Airlines allows one free checked bag and $25 for each bag after that. That started the first week in May. I flew to NY on May 3rd and had no charge. For the flight back on May 10th, I was charged an extra $25! :wacko:

I would have been too.

I was never a big Southwest fan and had/have most of my miles tied up in AA but AA has gone downhill as of late. It's gotten to the point that I can't shove enough free drinks down my throat to justify the upgrade cost. :wacko: I've booked 3 trips in the last month and all have been through southwest.

So I don't fly first class now or get an assigned seat.

Southwest is okay for short flights, but for long flights its only about one step above a long trip on a Guatemalan public bus.