[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Toe nail fungus

MrTed46

i've had this for many years. insurance doesn't cover it, i've heard about bad side effects from lamasil and it doesn't bother me so i just live with it. I actually damaged my toenail pretty severely last year snowboarding and when it grew back it mostly went away and is now only on a small portion of the toenail and doesn't seem to be spreading. So you may just want to chug some whiskey and take a hammer to it.

I got it from a severe toe injury where I lost the toenail. When it grew back it became ingrown & developed a fungus. Not fun at all. :wacko:

I took a pill for 6 months and it cleared it up. I played quite a bit of sand volleyball a few years ago and caught some weird nail fungus from getting sand in there and not cleaning underneath the nail enough - yellow, smelled horrible, would break off, and might even have oozed a little. Enjoy your lunch fellas!

ETA: I tried all of the over the counter stuff and they never worked. I think the pill was called lamasil. Expensive as hell though.

Lamisil is now available generically so the price has come down dramatically. Insurance companies generally won't pay for it unless you state you have pain then they shouldl. At least the PBM I work for does :wacko: . As far as other prescription drugs there is a product called Penlac which is available generically as well (ciclopirox). It's a topical nail lacquer but has a pretty piss poor cure rate (6% in clinical trials). I guess it is worth a shot if you don't want to go the oral route. Good luck.

Edited by Piles

• 2 months later...

My big right toenail was fungued pretty bad.....I put two parts warm water to one part vinegar in a bowl and soaked my toe in it 2-3 times for about 5 minutes over a week period......I think it gone.....the bottom half of the toe nail looks normal and the top half is in remission. F expensive prescription drugs that kill your liver, I'm already working on that. :wacko:

Edited by bushwacked

I have this condition on both feet. The big and second toes are the only ones affected. Its a pain because I have had it for ten or so years. To keep my toe nails "groomed", I have to carefully take a serrated knife to the big ones, and saw away, till I can get my toenail clippers to them. Then occasionally I will have an ingrown that I have to painfully get to. on the same toes. The second toes aren't a problem, but just ugly more than anything. I haven't gone to get the pill because I here of the bad side effects on the liver....

looks like I will be trying some vapo rub

I took a pill for 6 months and it cleared it up. I played quite a bit of sand volleyball a few years ago and caught some weird nail fungus from getting sand in there and not cleaning underneath the nail enough - yellow, smelled horrible, would break off, and might even have oozed a little. Enjoy your lunch fellas!

ETA: I tried all of the over the counter stuff and they never worked. I think the pill was called lamasil. Expensive as hell though.

it is now on the 4 dolla list at walmart

Lamasil or the generic is the only thing that will work IMO..As I understand it all the topical stuff will not work because the fungus needs to be taken care of from the inside out. I went on lamasil and had to stop because I was getting terrible head aches but if you can stick it out that stuff will work no doubt. If you do decide on that you really arent supposed to drink at all while taking it. I am going to assume Twiley didnt read that section of the side effects when he was taking it and when they tested his liver during his lamasil treatment it looked like a raisin :wacko: