[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Shockey traded to Saints

budlitebrad

I think it has more impact on the Saints other receivers.

+1

I think it actually hurts some Saints. Less balls for the guys getting lots of looks right now.

its not like Brees is going to throw 5-10% more passes now that Shockey is there....he's going to throw the same amount, just to a wider range of targets. Perhaps a few extra drives get extended, due to Shockey making a big play that no one last year could make...but how many of those will there really be?

One could even argue the Saints may run the ball more/better with Shockey, further hurting the value of everyone involved except Bush.

Their team should be better....their fantasy-implications? Not so much.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

agreed. but, the two NO TE's seemed to cancel each other out (fantasy wise). it would be nice to see one guy get most the looks and i wonder if the Shock-jock could be that guy.

Due to a lack of consistent talent. All of the Saints TE's have had their respective flashes, but either inconsistency, injuries or both have kept them from being the producer at the position that the Saints need. We haven't had a great all-around TE, that I can recall, since Wesley Walls. :wacko: Good receivers & good blockers, but never the complete package. It'll be great to see what a TE who can do it all very well can do for this offense.

As a Giants fan I'm mildly happy with this trade. I think Shockey is a much better TE then Boss but his attitude was becoming an issue. I just wish they did this last draft when NO picks were low. A good season by NO & the 2nd becomes a so-so pick.

That's my take...

Mine, too.

As swammi mentioned, the addition of Shockey will mean, at the very least, more first downs every game...which translates to more TD opportunities for everybody.

I'd say Brees just moved firmly ahead of Romo as the #3 QB, Bush can now be considered a legit #1 RB in 12-team leagues, and Colston has solidified himself as a top-5 WR.

Anybody care for a voice of reason?

The Giants had a massive tumor removed today.

The Saints are now afflicted. The prognosis is not all bad though, because Shockey will be injured and out of the picture soon enough.

Yawn.

Quick question: Over the last 4 regular seasons (64 games), how many games do you think Shockey has played in? Answer below.

59. 59 of 64. That's not so bad, is it? It's true that he's never played all 16 games in a single regular season, but these durability concerns are overblown, in my opinion.

Feel free to move Shockey up to the 2nd tier of TEs. I have him just slightly ahead of Cooley.

Which Tier does this now move Boss into from a fantasy perspective? (I'm using DMD's current tiers here):

Tier 1: Witten, Winslow, Gates, Gonzo

Teir 2: Heap, Cooley, Clark, McMike, Daniels, L.J. Smith, Zach Miller, Shockey, Scheffler

Teir 3: Olsen, Watson, Alge, Lee, Heath

Teir 4: Troupe, Utecht, Pope, Davis, Fasano, Keller, Marcedes, Desmond

What's the projection on the Bossman?

Quick question: Over the last 4 regular seasons (64 games), how many games do you think Shockey has played in? Answer below.

59. 59 of 64. That's not so bad, is it? It's true that he's never played all 16 games in a single regular season, but these durability concerns are overblown, in my opinion.

Feel free to move Shockey up to the 2nd tier of TEs. I have him just slightly ahead of Cooley.

How many games has he played where he was limited due to injury? I'm guessing 50.

And he is older now. Doesn't figure to suddenly get and stay healthy.

Shockey still has put up pretty decent numbers when he's been on the field, even if bothered by some nagging injury. He's been a steady 650 yard, 6 or 7 TD performer for his career with Erratic Eli as his quarterback. Going to Brees is indisputably an upgrade. Don't see why he can't post 800 and 7, and his ceiling is higher than that.

Edited by CMac83

:wacko:

I don't think so.

Bush = Overrated.

This trade doesn't change that.

In fact, I was thinking that Bush may suffer the most with the addition of Shockey. Some of those balls thrown his direction will be going to the TE now.

Guess I can safely drop Eric Johnson now. :D:wacko:
+1

If you didn't know that already then you were in trouble already. :D

In fact, I was thinking that Bush may suffer the most with the addition of Shockey. Some of those balls thrown his direction will be going to the TE now.

I quite disagree. Again, the one's that will suffer will be the other receivers. Bush will get his because the plays designed to go to him will not change just because Shockey is there. Shockey's presence will only improve Bush's production by keeping defenses from focusing primarily on him when he is in the backfield and by improving the blocking from the position.

Which Tier does this now move Boss into from a fantasy perspective? (I'm using DMD's current tiers here):

Tier 1: Witten, Winslow, Gates, Gonzo

Teir 2: Heap, Cooley, Clark, McMike, Daniels, L.J. Smith, Zach Miller, Shockey, Scheffler

Teir 3: Olsen, Watson, Alge, Lee, Heath

Teir 4: Troupe, Utecht, Pope, Davis, Fasano, Keller, Marcedes, Desmond

What's the projection on the Bossman?

Im guessing 3 to start off. However, he could potentially go either way. He might be a legit #1 TE by the end of the season if they use him in the same means they used Shockey. That said, he could prove to be just another guy to throw the ball to and more of a blocker. If thats the case, he might drop down a tier. I think its too early to tell, but my gut tells me he starts at about tier 3, makes his way to 2 by the end of the year.

I aquired him in a couple leagues this offseason, and hopefully itll pay off.

Im guessing 3 to start off. However, he could potentially go either way. He might be a legit #1 TE by the end of the season if they use him in the same means they used Shockey. That said, he could prove to be just another guy to throw the ball to and more of a blocker. If thats the case, he might drop down a tier. I think its too early to tell, but my gut tells me he starts at about tier 3, makes his way to 2 by the end of the year.

I aquired him in a couple leagues this offseason, and hopefully itll pay off.

I actually think he moves down as the season progresses. Think about the most reported reason Shockey wanted out..... He wanted more action his way in the passing game. Now you have an unproven young TE that won't bitch a whole lot about his roll. Why would Coughlin suddenly try to turn Boss into Gates?

I actually think he moves down as the season progresses. Think about the most reported reason Shockey wanted out..... He wanted more action his way in the passing game. Now you have an unproven young TE that won't bitch a whole lot about his roll. Why would Coughlin suddenly try to turn Boss into Gates?

Boss in to Gates is silly. However, they were talking about this today on Sirius, and Pat Kirwin made a comment on the Giants possibly looking for another TE to be used more as a blocker, and keeping Boss for recieving. One name mentioned was Kyle Brady coming out of retirement. It was more of a conversation for radio, but still, if they sign another TE to be the blocker, I dont think it is a stretch to start him in tier 3 and moving up to tier 2. They are used to having a lot of plays for the TE, so why not Boss?

Gates is tier one.

Boss in to Gates is silly. However, they were talking about this today on Sirius, and Pat Kirwin made a comment on the Giants possibly looking for another TE to be used more as a blocker, and keeping Boss for recieving. One name mentioned was Kyle Brady coming out of retirement. It was more of a conversation for radio, but still, if they sign another TE to be the blocker, I dont think it is a stretch to start him in tier 3 and moving up to tier 2. They are used to having a lot of plays for the TE, so why not Boss?

Gates is tier one.

Come on Peep. You know what I was trying to say. :wacko: