[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Grant signs extension

Randall

One of the Green Bay Packers' most explosive offensive weapons has returned to the team.

No, it's not that one. FOXSports.com has learned that the team has agreed to a contract extension with absent running back Ryan Grant. Terms of the deal are not yet known.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8406976...ee-to-extension

Finally! Glad to hear some good news from GB.

Well no one else is reporting this yet so I guess hold on.

Edited by Randall

Yes-

Grant's Deal Is Done

The Packers finally have a deal with running back Ryan Grant.

Grant's agent, Alan Herman, told the Press-Gazette that the two sides have come to terms. Financial details were not immediately available.

Grant has missed the first week of training camp practice and even though his contract is done, he won't participate in Sunday's scrimmage. Because Monday is an off day, his first chance to get on the field will be Tuesday morning.

-- Rob Demovsky, rdemovsk@greenbaypressgazette.com

I wonder if it's a year year deal to see how he performs.And if he is what he seems to be a long term deal can be done.

From JSOnline.com:

Running back Ryan Grant scored a major victory in his negotiations with the Green Bay Packers, agreeing to terms on a four-year contract loaded with incentives and escalators that could earn him $30 million, his agent Alan Herman told the Journal Sentinel.

"He's very happy," Herman said. "It's been a dream year for him."

The Packers started out offering only a $1.75 million signing bonus, but Herman was able to negotiate a deal that will pay Grant a $3 million roster bonus when he signs the contract and another $1.25 million through base salary ($750,000) and another roster bonus ($500,000).

Thus, Grant will earn $4.25 million this year. Over two years, his take will be $8 million.

Herman said that there are many layers of incentives and escalators that will compensate Grant handsomely if he produces the way he did last year when he rushed for 956 yards and eight touchdowns in 10 games.

If Grant rushes for 1,500 yards this year, he will earn another $4 million 2009, Herman said. If he only rushes for 1,000 yards he would earn an additional $1 million.

Herman said the base salaries in the contract were set but the incentives and escalators will determine Grant's income each year. He said based on the way Grant plays the next four years, he could earn $30 million or $24 million or $18 million.

He said the four-year deal will allow Grant, 25, to become an unrestricted free agent after the 2011 season.

Seems like a good deal for Grant.

This could be interesting to watch down the road. Lets see what happens if he gets anywhere near 1500 with one game to go. Will the team "stab him in the back" like the Seahawks did to Darrell Jackson? This situation comes up from time to time in MLB when players are given incentives based on their number of at bats or innings pitched as well.

This could be interesting to watch down the road. Lets see what happens if he gets anywhere near 1500 with one game to go. Will the team "stab him in the back" like the Seahawks did to Darrell Jackson? This situation comes up from time to time in MLB when players are given incentives based on their number of at bats or innings pitched as well.

This would never happen with this organization. They are always fair and 100% up front and open about all of there dealings.. This is a 100% class organization and has always put the players first.

Signed,

Brett :wacko:

The Packers are a corporation and kind of a coop. Last year they redid Drivers contract without asking even though he had a new one 1-2 years earlier.

Doing that to Grant would hurt his drive to excel. I don't see them doing that. Ted is somewhat stingy with the team's money but there isn't an owner screaming for profits.

When did Seattle screw DJax?

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=779409

Notes: Teammates welcome Grant back to huddle

No. 1 back confident he’ll catch on quickly

By GREG A. BEDARD

Posted: Aug. 3, 2008

Green Bay - Ryan Grant was in the locker room for only a few minutes after the Green Bay Packers' intrasquad scrimmage Sunday night at Lambeau Field before teammates Daniel Muir and Vernand Morency forcefully pointed out that Grant owes them money.

Grant better get used to it. With a four-year, $30 million contract padding his wallet, Grant can expect to be visited by a few more collectors.

"They're not looking for handouts, just telling me that I owe a bunch of guys dinner, which is cool," Grant said. "It's all good. Guys are real supportive of me. I'm excited to be back and it seems like they're happy that I'm back."

After a seven-day holdout that sometimes grew contentious, the Packers are surely glad to have their leading rusher back in the fold. He suited up for the scrimmage, but that was more a show for the fans.

After passing his physical and running test, the question will be how far behind the rest of the team Grant is.

"Hopefully I'm not that far behind," Grant said. "I think I'm pretty much up to speed script-wise. I've had the scripts overnighted to me from practice, so I knew what was going on. I've been doing my extra stuff, watching film. Best way to get caught up to speed is to practice and get in there. I don't know how the coaches are going to do it - gradually or if they throw me in there - but I expect to get it done. I'm in good shape. I'm ready to go."

Grant did his own personal twice-daily practices while he worked out in the New York area. But he didn't wear pads or take any hits. The immediate goal is get him into football shape, which Grant doesn't think will be an issue, either.

"Of course you can't simulate playing in pads and stuff like that," Grant said. "Maybe that will take a little bit. But I take real pride in the conditioning part of what I do so I expect to be in football shape. I take this serious. It would be unprofessional of me, with everything that's been going on, to come back out of football shape."

It's good to see that he didn't waste any time getting back into camp. Hopefully his personal training kept him in good enough shape to get back into the groove without any hiccups. One week isn't *too* bad so I think he'll be fine. It'll be interesting to see how much Brandon Jackson continues to wow the coaching staff from this point on.