[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Roadtrip to Vegas

SheikYerbuti

The Sheikette, my brother and I will be driving from NYC to Vegas next weekend. Yes, I'm insane. No, I can't justify why we're driving and not flying. I assumed that Route 40 was the quickest route, but Mapquest says Route 80 is the way to go. Looks like it'll take between 35 and 40 hours and cost about $300 in gas each way.

What do you think?

Oh, and is anyone going to be in Vegas between 8/11 and 8/18?

The Sheikette, my brother and I will be driving from NYC to Vegas next weekend. Yes, I'm insane. No, I can't justify why we're driving and not flying. I assumed that Route 40 was the quickest route, but Mapquest says Route 80 is the way to go. Looks like it'll take between 35 and 40 hours and cost about $300 in gas each way.

What do you think?

you might consider taking I-70 through St. Louis instead of I-80 through Chicago. (According to Google maps, the difference is 18 extra miles, but sometimes the traffic on I-80 south of Chicago is a nightmare.) (If you decided to not head to Denver but then to head to I-40, it would be another extra 20 miles or so. So it seems that you have three decent routes to choose from. I would definitely not travel the same route both ways--so in that case, it might be best to take I-80 in one direction and then I-40 the other direction.)

(Google maps has a cool feature where you can adjust your route right on the screen, play around with it a little bit.)

Edited by wiegie

When considering your route, don't just consider fast. That whole stretch of I-80 between Chicago and Denver will make you want to kill kill kill for Satan.

Of course, Kansas is not better.

If you drive through Denver, I'll buy you a Coors.

wow- props - that is absolutely ridiculous!! - I thought the flight home from a long Vegas blowout weekend was brutal- and you all are gonna hop in a car and drive 35 to 40hrs to get home!!! holy chit - one of the craziest things I have heard in a while

A trip like that can change relationships - even money there is a serious altercation at some point.......... 6/1 it gets physical, and 10 to 1 one of you hops a flight back to NYC

If you drive through Denver, I'll buy you a Coors.

I'd take you up on it, but time is a factor. Leaving NYC Saturday night and we have to be at a wedding rehearsal dinner in Vegas on Monday afternoon. Coming home we're going to take our time, make some stops, see some sights.

A trip like that can change relationships - even money there is a serious altercation at some point.......... 6/1 it gets physical, and 10 to 1 one of you hops a flight back to NYC

Your action is booked. I'll post the results.

More like about 450-500 each way...

My car gets about 37 MPG highway, so 2500 miles divided by 37 miles per gallon is 67.5 gallons of gas each way. Figuring an average of $3.88 a gallon (AAA national average as of today), that's $260 each way and I'm leaving $40 leeway. . . so, $300 each way is the # I'm working with. I'll keep records and post results.

What about the reduced value and maintenance on your car? I'm thinking the total cost to you will be closer to $1500.

Never drive unless you're interested in stopping at places on the way. What's the point if it's just to get from point A to B?

Also, if you flew, you'd have more time to do stuff in or around Vegas (eg. Zion National Park is awesome).

If he flew so to have more time to do stuff around Vegas, wouldn't he need to rent a car for a week? With insurance, a weekly rental car in Vegas would be $250-300 minimum. Add to that the current cost to check a bag on an ariline ($25 per bag), the cost of three airline tickets, parking at the airport ($20/day?)....I am guessing, even at your $1500 cost, it is still considerably cheaper to drive, even if they have to split a few hotel rooms there and back.

....and perhaps most importantly, the biggest cost to flying might be the once-in-a-lifetime lost value of seeing our beautiful country up close. Everyone should drive cross-country once in their lives.....while boring to some, it is an experience to be treasured.

Enjoy, Shiek....wish I was riding shotgun with you!

if you decide on doing 70 and go through denver, keep us posted

Will do.

If he flew so to have more time to do stuff around Vegas, wouldn't he need to rent a car for a week? With insurance, a weekly rental car in Vegas would be $250-300 minimum. Add to that the current cost to check a bag on an ariline ($25 per bag), the cost of three airline tickets, parking at the airport ($20/day?)....I am guessing, even at your $1500 cost, it is still considerably cheaper to drive, even if they have to split a few hotel rooms there and back.

....and perhaps most importantly, the biggest cost to flying might be the once-in-a-lifetime lost value of seeing our beautiful country up close. Everyone should drive cross-country once in their lives.....while boring to some, it is an experience to be treasured.

The best price we could find on a rental was almost $200 for the week for an economy. Meh. We've got friends around the country, so it looks like we'll only need 1 or 2 hotel rooms tops for the whole trip. With the 3 of us rotating, it looks like we're going to do the trip out in one shot. Our time schedule is fairly tight. But Swammi is right, between the cost of airport parking, baggage fees and 3 tickets, it's much cheaper to drive despite the wear and tear on the car. Actually the timing worked out well, we just needed our brake pads and rotors replaced last week so they're brand new.

And no, in Vegas, you don't need a car. Walk as much as possible, take taxis those few times when dressed up.

We're attending a wedding at Mandalay Bay and staying half the week with the groom who lives 15 minutes from the middle of the strip and the other half a 20 minute drive from the strip. The middle of August? Did I mention the Sheikette HATES hot weather? Yeah, we're going to need a car.

:wacko: Dude, you are F'kng crazy.

That being said, take extra precautions for your safety out there on the roads. Looks like you got your car checked out beforehand---that's good. Check the tires, belts, fluids, etc.

Just make sure you allow yourself a reasonable amount of travel time, with rest breaks built in, so nobody gets fatigued and drives off the road.

Good luck, and be safe!

I drove from New Hampshire to San Diego and it took me 5 days. Of course I was by myself but I took the I-70 route through St.Louis...its quite the sight see'rs drive. Good luck and make sure you map out all tolls along the way.

What do you think?

If I drove from LA to Vegas I would budget for about $110-120 total round trip. $600 round from NY to LV seems a tad light to me...

Have fun. In my younger days me and a friend of mine would take two or three weeks off work and just head out to wherever we ended up. We did this at least five times. Once we did it on motorcycles. That was brutal. We went to Sturgis for the Harley rally and while that is a memory that I will never lose, I would never do that trip on a bike again.

i've driven PA to AZ 7 times, 5 via I-40. for me, it's quick and easy, and that's the way i'd go if you're looking for ease. i would think from nyc you'd be looking at only 4 stretches of road and you are on the strip (I78, I81, I40, 93). plus, you'd get to cross the hoover dam and would be as close as possible to a stop at the grand canyon if you wanted to do something like that.

What do you think?

Ironically, no, I'll be in AC.

When considering your route, don't just consider fast. That whole stretch of I-80 between Chicago and Denver will make you want to kill kill kill for Satan.

Of course, Kansas is not better.

kansas is worse. speed limit is 70 (versus 75 in nebrasky), and there are way more state troopers. plus, you have to pay a toll between KC and salina. a toll. to drive across a f*cking wheat field. I hate kansas.

That is 1 longggggggg road trip, be safe. An old guy I shoot pool with never flies anywhere, the last 2 years he and his wife have driven from Md to Vegas and they are both in thier 70's :wacko:

Edited by T_bone65

So, update:

At the last minute we booked a flight, so the car trip is off. We're flying out of Philly at 3:00 tomorrow. So, now the question you all is -

How much Xanax and Jack Daniels can you mix together before it's dangerous?

Did I mention I HATE flying?

:wacko: Good for you. I kept imagining Sheik and gang's car breaking down in the middle of Iowa and <insert any recent gorefest slasher flick reference here> ..........

I don't like to fly either, but sometimes I'll just take a Benedryl or two, and it knocks me out for basically the whole flight.

Have fun!