[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rate my odds of success

AtomicCEO

Odds of Success  

41 members have voted

1. 1. To what degree of success will my electric car project be?

• Complete success! A Daily driver for your commute. Everyone who sees it will want one.
    • It'll work.. kinda... but you wont rely on it to commute
    • Almost! You'll find yourself short of the goal and sell it off at a loss to someone who knows what they are doing
    • Utter complete failure. Thousands of dollars in the toilet, and nothing to show for it.

Here's my goal:

- An electric conversion of a 1974 VW Bug for my commute to work.

- 96V motor with a top speed of 65mph, and a range of 40-60 miles

- Budget of under $7K before tax breaks (which hopefully will bring the cost down to around $3K in Colorado).

I've made an offer on the donor vehicle. My budget was originally 6K, but in looking at the difference between $500 VW Beetles and $1200 Beetles... I opted to splurge there. The one I'm getting has a blown engine, but a completely redone interior with new seats, dash, and carpets. The cheap one had a massive hole in the floor and a rat living in it. Yikes.

The kit comes from a place online that gives you everything but the batteries, and the boxes they mount in.

I will be documenting the build... successful or not... with pictures and video.

With the tax incentives (Credit of up to 85% of the cost of converting a vehicle), and a total cost of only 7K, I don't know why more people don't do this kind of thing. Feel free to try to shoot my optimism full of holes. I would like some devil's advocate thinking to see if I'm being an idiot or not before I lay out most of the cash.

CO Alternative Fuel Vehicle Tax Credit

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way, the last time I worked on a car was 1995, and I changed a distributor cap. It was the most advanced thing I had ever done on a vehicle... usually I limit myself to changing batteries and wiper blades.

However, as most can attest to around here... I am a borderline genius, and I'm an expert at everything.

:wacko: for real?

Well, unless you want to go up to 144V, which is an awful lot of batteries... you need a car that is as close to 2000 lbs as possible.

Common conversions are Geo Metros, VW Rabbits, VW Bugs, and little pickup trucks.

It's much easier to find old Bugs than it is to find Rabbits or Metros, and I didn't want a truck. Plus there is a massive marketplace for aftermarket VW Bug parts. If I need a new bumper, seat, shocks, clutch, or dashboard... I can find tons of options from 5 or 6 different manufacturers.

If this works out, I've been giving thought to trying a fancy kit car on top of the VW frame. There are a lot of interesting sportscar bodies you can put on a Beetle frame.

It's really one of the best cars to work with for this.

Well, unless you want to go up to 144V, which is an awful lot of batteries... you need a car that is as close to 2000 lbs as possible.

Common conversions are Geo Metros, VW Rabbits, VW Bugs, and little pickup trucks.

It's much easier to find old Bugs than it is to find Rabbits or Metros, and I didn't want a truck. Plus there is a massive marketplace for aftermarket VW Bug parts. If I need a new bumper, seat, shocks, clutch, or dashboard... I can find tons of options from 5 or 6 different manufacturers.

If this works out, I've been giving thought to trying a fancy kit car on top of the VW frame. There are a lot of interesting sportscar bodies you can put on a Beetle frame.

It's really one of the best cars to work with for this.

The first time that thing moves and makes no sound, your brain is going to shut down for a moment or two...

If you can't weld very well (I can't), you might find out who the local high school or jr. college shop teacher is and see if his student's couldn't help you since you are providing the materials. Maybe the students could get extra credit or something. Worst that can happen is they tell you no. If there's ever anything I can do to help, let me know. I can at least hold the j0int while you weld and I used to be able to read schematics.

I'm jealous.

Here's my goal:

- An electric conversion of a 1974 VW Bug for my commute to work.

- 96V motor with a top speed of 65mph, and a range of 40-60 miles

- Budget of under $7K before tax breaks (which hopefully will bring the cost down to around $3K in Colorado).

I've made an offer on the donor vehicle. My budget was originally 6K, but in looking at the difference between $500 VW Beetles and $1200 Beetles... I opted to splurge there. The one I'm getting has a blown engine, but a completely redone interior with new seats, dash, and carpets. The cheap one had a massive hole in the floor and a rat living in it. Yikes.

The kit comes from a place online that gives you everything but the batteries, and the boxes they mount in.

I will be documenting the build... successful or not... with pictures and video.

With the tax incentives (Credit of up to 85% of the cost of converting a vehicle), and a total cost of only 7K, I don't know why more people don't do this kind of thing. Feel free to try to shoot my optimism full of holes. I would like some devil's advocate thinking to see if I'm being an idiot or not before I lay out most of the cash.

CO Alternative Fuel Vehicle Tax Credit

Do electric cars that you build yourself have AC and heat? How does it work?

Umm, doesn't Colorado have, like mountains and stuff? Seems an electric car wouldn't do that well in steep terrain... :wacko:

I will not be driving to the mountains within a 40-60 mile range. Like most people, I drive to work and back 5 days a week. My wife has a car, too... so we can use that if we need to go to the mountains.

Do electric cars that you build yourself have AC and heat? How does it work?

Excellent question. Heat... yes. I can install a heater, no problem. A/C... not so much. AC is very heavy and very power-intensive. Luckily, there is underground parking across from where I work, and I won't have that 107 degree car when I leave work in the summer.

Where is the "you're going to electrocute yourself" option?

Unfortunately, that would have been a very popular choice, and for good reason.

I saw pictures from another conversion, and there was a pic of when he accidentally hooked up a terminal wrong. The battery melted in seconds, and it wasn't even 72V DC. I am a little worried about that.

• 3 weeks later...

By the way, I'm doing regular updates to my Facebook page on this project, instead of posting it out here.

If you are interested, just shoot me a pm, and I'll add you as a friend.

The first two major components of this process have been:

1) Kill the bee's nest in the engine.

2) Cut a hole through the hood to access the release catch because it was jammed shut.

So far, it's all going exactly according to plan. :wacko:

I voted kinda work. After my latest Hybrid class I see many problems that you may not be able to overcome. Keeping the electric motor cool is a serious issue. The transmission is a hugh hurdle and then once you get it fabricated it will also have a serious cooling issue. Anything I can do to help[ let me know!