[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Anti-depressants

Ramhock

There is nothing anyone is going to say that I already haven't said to myself.

My friend is sending me a tape called, I think, "The Power of Now", a 7 hour listen . . . and I will listen.

:wacko:

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More recent and more accurate.

SIDE EFFECTS: Nausea, vomiting, drowsiness, dizziness, diarrhea, trouble sleeping, yawning, constipation, or dry mouth may occur. If any of these effects persist or worsen, notify your doctor promptly. Tell your doctor immediately if any of these serious side effects occur: loss of appetite, unusual or severe mental/mood changes, increased sweating/flushing, unusual fatigue, uncontrolled movements (tremor), decreased interest in sex, changes in sexual ability. Tell your doctor immediately if any of these unlikely but serious side effects occur: black stools, blurred vision, change in amount of urine, "coffee ground" vomit, easy bruising/bleeding. Tell your doctor immediately if any of these highly unlikely but very serious side effects occur: fainting, irregular heartbeat, muscle pain, trouble swallowing, unusual swelling, seizures, tingling or numbness of the hands/feet. Paroxetine may infrequently cause suicidal thoughts or self-harm urges in children or teenagers up to 18 years of age. Tell the doctor immediately should this occur (see Uses section). Males: In the very unlikely event you have a painful, prolonged erection, stop using this drug and seek immediate medical attention or permanent problems could occur. A serious allergic reaction to this drug is unlikely, but seek immediate medical attention if it occurs. Symptoms of a serious allergic reaction include: rash, itching, swelling, severe dizziness, trouble breathing. If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.

http://www.medicinenet.com/paroxetine-oral/article.htm

Persistent adverse effects

Recent case reports describe four young men and women who experienced serious sexual dysfunction that continued to be symptomatic despite medication discontinuation years previously[21][22].

Long term withdrawal syndromes outside of sexual dysfunction from SSRIs are not well documented, but reports are starting to be published. Symptoms can persist for months and include agitation, anxiety, akathisia, panic attacks, irritability, aggressiveness, worsening of mood, dysphoria, crying spells or mood lability, overactivity or hyperactivity, depersonalization, decreased concentration, slowed thinking, confusion and memory/concentration difficulties. [23] For some patients in this condition, restarting the drug can cause intolerable side effects, meaning these symptoms have to be endured until they eventually subside.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSRI_disconti...rome#Indicators

While that's still the same info that has been in drug pamphlets for years, you fail to see that it is a contested item in the medical community. Medications are nothing to take lightly. Medications can play an important role when used in conjunction with other mental health professionals. Scaring people away from taking mental health seriously can do much more harm than good.

Of course there's going to be a link between people taking antidepressants and suicide. They're depressed! If you didn't take time to read the articles I linked, I'll give you the Cliff's Notes version. When antidepressant use went down in this country, the suicide rate increased.

Mental health needs to be taken seriously. Research is more than just reading a pamphlet or taking the first google search. I'll start you off. Usually I feel that the JAMA is a better source of medical information than Fox News.

:wacko:

The American Journal of Psychiatry also found an increase in suicides after there was a decrease in the use of antidepressants in this country.

Of course you can feel free to continue talking about a completely different medication than the original question.

I took Lexapro for a couple years for anxiety, specifically social anxiety, public speaking and participating in large meetings, etc. as required by my job. Worked well for me, so well that the doc took me off it for a while recently to see how things go. No side effects at all. On a side note, my boss is regretting urging me to do something about my anxiety because now they can't shut me up.

Please tell me you know what Dysphoria is:

Manic symptoms of Dysphoria include: irritability, anger or rage, delusions, hypersensitivity, hypersexuality, hyper-religiosity, hyperactivity, impulsiveness, racing thoughts, talkativeness, pressure to keep talking or rapid speech, and grandiose ideas and plans, decreased need for sleep (e.g. feels rested after 3 or 4 hours of sleep).

Hypomania: lower need for sleep

racing thoughts

obsessive behavior, whether mild or severe

poor judgment relative to a particular situation's judgment call

uncontrollable, or only partially controllable, impulsivity

excessive sexual activity

I'm seeing anger and rage all over the place in the symptoms caused by Paxil. They are just using big words to confuse you.

Um, those are symptoms of bi-polar disorder. If you give someone with bi-polar disorder an antidepressant alone, you are likely to see someone in a manic episode. That's why it's good for people to stay in contact with a doctor and take it seriously. Steering someone with depression away from medication isn't a good idea unless you are a medical professional with a detailed patient history.

You are an internet troll who knows how to use google. You may have also stayed at a Holiday Inn because you spelled all of the words correctly that you copied and pasted from your search.

I have been this way for a couple of months. There is nothing anyone is going to say that I already haven't said to myself. I don't internalize and have had many discussions with many people. I seem to worry about the future more than I should be content in the now. My friend is sending me a tape called, I think, "The Power of Now", a 7 hour listen . . . and I will listen.

That's a great book. Another one by the same guy- Eckhart Tolle -that may be a better starting point is "A New Earth." That one was on Oprah's book club list recently and my wife read it and got so much out of it that I read it as well.

Incidentally, after reading that book was when my wife went off Lexapro and hasn't had any trouble once the stuff got out of her system. Not that the books will get you there without the meds but together hopefully you can and then drop them altogether.

Have you tried psychotherapy? Do you have a psychiatrist?

GPs are often a little quick with the meds.

Psychiatrist are also very quick to prescribe meds. Their degree is in medicine, not psychology.

I have been this way for a couple of months. There is nothing anyone is going to say that I already haven't said to myself. I don't internalize and have had many discussions with many people. I seem to worry about the future more than I should be content in the now. My friend is sending me a tape called, I think, "The Power of Now", a 7 hour listen . . . and I will listen.

Not surprisingly, I disagree with that statement (as a side note, I haven't done any counseling with clients for about 8 years). If you're lost in the jungle, it might help to have a trained guide who can help you find your way safely out, rather than stumbling around for years and not making any progress.

I believe that antidepressant and anti-anxiety medication is over prescribed. I think in many cases, people are looking for a quick fix. If someone has problems in their life, medication will not make those problems go away. However, when an individual tells me they've "always" been depressed and can't figure out why, I believe that medication can be very helpful.

The research clearly shows that the best outcome typically involves medication in combination with therapy.

In any event, good luck.

You are an internet troll who knows how to use google.

I'm not talking about all anti depressants, just Paxil. If what I said, and also linked to way too many times today, wasn't true: then why the $64 Million set aside for parents who had kids who used Paxil?

Was it because it made them feel good? Such as:

intense insomnia

extremely vivid dreams

extreme confusion during waking hours

fear of losing your sanity

depersonalization- feeling of existing outside of reality

memory and concentration problems, panic attacks

severe mood swings, like extreme irritability and anger

suicidal thoughts

dizziness/vertigo

electric feeling shocks throughout your body

unsteady gait

slurred speech

headaches

profuse sweating

muscle cramping

blurred vision

outbursts of tears for no apparent reason

hypersensitivity to motion, sounds, smells

decreased appetite

nausea

abdominal cramping

loss of appetite

chills/hot flashes

http://www.paxil-suicide.com/symptoms.php

Feel free to keep using whatever it is you are on. I'm sure it doesn't do anything like Paxil.

Edited by WaterMan

I was on a heavy dose of Zoloft about 15 years ago. Eventually, I developed a very bad side effect, described by many as an electric shock. It was bad, and took several years to completely go away after I got off it cold turkey.

I think many of these suicidal studdies are inherently flawed. people, at least many people on anti-depressants are already suicidal. If the meds don't work, and they commit suicide, the meds get the blame.

I don't think that situational depression is enough to take these meds however. Different sroy if depression runs in the family, and is not a temporary issue, like situational depression is. Counseling is I think, the best way to deal with situational depression. learn the tools that you can use, behavioral tools, to fight it. It isn't easy... but neither is depression. Good luck.

I am starting to take Lexapro, tomorrow. I miss myself and look for my return. Please, share your experiences and thank you in advance.

My symptoms are waking about 5 AM, with an immediate sense of dread. I force myself to eat, hardly tasting the food. My doc says I have situational depression. I absolutely do not have any suicidal thoughts. My family and friends want to know where the happy-go-lucky guy went. I am on a mission.

First of all I am glad that you have identified that you have a problem with depression and are willing to do something about it. :wacko: I wish you the best outcome possible! :D

There have been other threads here dealing with depression and its treatment, and the best advice I can give you is to be persistent in whatever treatment you embark on until you feel you are back to coping well with life.

While antidepressants alone may not be the total answer they can be very helpful when combined with psychotherapy, exercise, diet, and other life-style changes. Also keep in mind that there are patients who suffer from depression due to defects in neurotransmitter metabolism, not due to environmental variables. If you have this form of depression antidepressant medication can be even more beneficial.

I beg you to not listen to too much internet advice.

Take the pills as prescribed for the duration as directed. I've heard that if you stop them too soon, that you slide back to zero, so follow your doctor's directions and get well.

Don't listen to the experiences you asked for of other people, or the medical professionals who posted here.

Listen to the dude with the migraines that feels happy, who implores you to listen to no other advice, which you solicited in the first place.

Good luck, Ramhock.

Yes, I hope you feel better too.

I've had some periods of high stress that I've experienced racing mind and anxiety that kept me up all night. It was not pleasant. I medicated myself with alcohol or nyquil when it got bad. I wouldn't recommend that. If anything, I'd recommend a psychotherapist over a GP to treat a mental issue... but I don't expect you to do something I didn't do myself. :wacko:

Take the meds, don't take the meds - its entirely your decision if you think they are helping or not.

There are things we will tell therapists - complete strangers - that we cannot tell family and friends. Seeing a therapist is one of the better decisions I've made in my life.

A buddy of mine just saved his marriage with the help of a therapist.

Insurance often pays for visits just like a normal doc office visit, so its at least worth checking out. What do you have to lose but your unhappiness?

Never taken prescription anti-depressants. (Though I did try some OTC stuff to help me quit smoking that gave me a peppy little buzz back in law school). I've always sort of depended on things like depression and anxiety to motivate me to combat the root causes of those feelings. I don't think I'd want to take those feelings away for fear of becoming complacent in facing my problems. But then again, I've never suffered from inexplicable depression that I wasn't able to fix on my own, so what do I know.

Everyone goes through mood swings, some more serious than others. Definitely see a doctor, think about taking some meds, but don't rely on the drugs to save you. Make other changes to improve whatever situation is making you unhappy, if at all possible, and improve your health as other people have suggested by increasing exercise and improving eating habits. I guess that sounds trite and everyone's different but that sometimes helps me get out of my down periods. Good luck man. I hope some of the advice in this thread helps a little. I've never experienced serious depression though so maybe none of this will help. :wacko:

I have dealt more with anxiety than depression. I get both but depression is usually self induced by relying on the wrong methods of dealing with anxiety. As much as we like our drinks at night alcohol is a hugh problem when it comes to depression. It also plays a large roll in creating anxiety!

Avoid excessive caffeine.

Try reading before you go to sleep and even when you first wake up.

Try waking an hour earlier than normal for a few weeks to see if that helps with the dread. I know when I wake to close to my time to go to work I don't feel like I have enough time to prepare and that gives me that dread feeling.

I could go on and on but I won't here. PM me if you think I can help in any way.

I have dealt more with anxiety than depression. I get both but depression is usually self induced by relying on the wrong methods of dealing with anxiety. As much as we like our drinks at night alcohol is a hugh problem when it comes to depression. It also plays a large roll in creating anxiety!

Avoid excessive caffeine.

Try reading before you go to sleep and even when you first wake up.

Try waking an hour earlier than normal for a few weeks to see if that helps with the dread. I know when I wake to close to my time to go to work I don't feel like I have enough time to prepare and that gives me that dread feeling.

I could go on and on but I won't here. PM me if you think I can help in any way.

I already wake 2 hours before I need to. I have been inhaling caffiene, though. Maybe not inhaling, 2 coffees and 1-2 sodas/dy.

Edited by Ramhock

• 3 weeks later...
I am starting to take Lexapro, tomorrow. I miss myself and look for my return. Please, share your experiences and thank you in advance.

My symptoms are waking about 5 AM, with an immediate sense of dread. I force myself to eat, hardly tasting the food. My doc says I have situational depression. I absolutely do not have any suicidal thoughts. My family and friends want to know where the happy-go-lucky guy went. I am on a mission.

Situation has changed for the better. To try & keep it short, I was a 100% commission mortgage broker. Between the worsening situation in that industry and my refusal to be vague with customers, not getting a check now & then was obviously weighing quite heavily on me. I have returned to the financial institution that I left to try that 14 months ago. They welcomed me back with open arms & I started back this past Monday. My wife hadn't brought any income in for 20 years and will start cleaning homes, this week. Her sister does it and makes about $20/hr, off the books. In a few months she should be working between 10-15 hrs/wk. I am no longer feeling alone having to provide for 5 mouths. Will we make enough to break even? Maybe.

Been 2 weeks since I started on 10 mg Lexapro. The past 4 days have been my best in about 4 months. I am guessing that it has more to do with the situation than it does with the pill. I have a followup appointment in three weeks and will follow my doctor's instruction after I give him a detailed update. I actually have my sense of humor back and the dread has not visited since Monday. It has been 4 very good entire days. For 3-4 months I wasn't capable of having a very good hour.

For those of you that give a $hit, thanx. For those that don't, good luck if you ever experience what I felt.

There are certainly always others that are worse off or in tougher spots than yourself but these feelings are subconscious and you have absolutely no control over them.

It is certainly good to be back. I felt so bad that I dropped outta FLS & my 23 year home league, which I commissioned. They will take me back next year, but try to imagine how bad you would have to feel to think it would be a "pain" to participate in this hobby we all have in common.