[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chad Johnson

hooknladder

The shoulder injury that has sidelined Bengals wide receiver Chad Johnson since August 17 is apparently more serious than Ocho Cinco has let on.

Although the injury has been described as a sprained shoulder, Adam Schefter of NFL Network reported today that in reality, Johnson has a torn labrum in his shoulder. If Johnson decided to have surgery to repair the injury, it would end his season.

But Johnson’s current plan is to forego the surgery until after the season and play through the injury, and he expects to be on the field on September 7 when the Bengals open the season at Baltimore.

For his part, Johnson claims that his shoulder is doing fine. He told Bengals.com today, “I’m lifting my normal weight. I do everything normal now. Everything. It’s been what? Eight days? I’m back to normal.”

Johnson hasn’t been back on the field, but it looks like he will be in less than two weeks.

Permalink | Comments Back to Top

I'm sorry but did the whole Bengal's organization do something like steal an idol from hawaii or pee on a Bible? I've seen teams come apart before but honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if their entire stadium including the players and management got hit by a meteor or all spontaneously combusted. If it wasn't for bad luck, these cats wouldn't have any luck.

It's really gonna hurt.

From Bengals.com

Updated: 4:45 p.m.

Rudi Johnson went back to practice.

T.J. Houshmandzadeh tried it and was hopeful.

Even though Chad Johnson proudly did 21 pushups for the media on his sprained shoulder, he didn't practice. But he did run routes without a helmet.

And Carson Palmer, sporting a small bandage on his broken nose, had the day off and it's looking more and more like he won't play Thursday.

But wide receiver Chris Henry did practice for the first time since he rejoined the team last week.

Such was the state of the Bengals as they went to the practice field Monday afternoon and all but Henry figure to be on the field Sept. 7.

And Houshmandzadeh said he'll try to be on the field Thursday night in the preseason finale, "but it depends on how it feels today. Ask me tomorrow."

Chad Johnson, wearing a harness on his shoulder and his ankles taped as if he was going to practice, said he's talked to 10 players who have played with the injury. While he said he would need surgery if the shoulder pops out again (and that is presumed to be a season-ending procedure), he said "it's unlikely."

He said he wanted to play Thursday night, but Johnson said head coach Marvin Lewis told him he didn't want him getting hurt in another preseason game.

Like Houshmandzadeh, Rudi Johnson has been fighting a hamstring problem since early in training camp. Johnson says he's not worried about getting timed up for the regular season despite not getting hit by another team until Thursday.

"I'll play, but I don't know how much. It depends on Marvin," Rudi said of the game in Indianapolis.

The question of the next 13 days is if their top skill players have enough time to get ready after not being on the field together since the Dec. 30 win at Miami in last year's regular-season finale.

"How many months is that?" Chad Johnson asked and when told eight, he said, "That's no different than when Brad Pitt and Angelina are filming a movie and it takes that (amount of) time when they get back together to have kids.It will be the same when we get back on the field together. We're going to produce."

As for the shoulder, Johnson said, "I'm lifting my normal weight. I do everything normal now. Everything. It's been what? Eight days? I'm back to normal."

He may say it feels "normal" now, but every defender he will go up against knows about this injury. Let's see how "normal" it feels after they have been pounding on it.

As a CJ owner in 2 leagues, I hope he does stay that way and does produce at a high level. However, I have my doubts.

I'm sorry but did the whole Bengal's organization do something like steal an idol from hawaii or pee on a Bible? I've seen teams come apart before but honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if their entire stadium including the players and management got hit by a meteor or all spontaneously combusted. If it wasn't for bad luck, these cats wouldn't have any luck.

:wacko: +1

It's the owner: he runs the team a la Al Davis Lite and the players now know it after Henry was returned despite Marvin's protests. He's now lame duck and will leave/be let go at year's end.

In the meantime, there's no reason this team hasn't won a playoff game in the past 3 seasons that I can accept: their window closes this year for 1-2 seasons.

If CJ really did 20 pushups the other day after the injury I doubt this rumor haas teeth to it.

If CJ really did 20 pushups the other day after the injury I doubt this rumor haas teeth to it.

Interesting take...and one I agree with (maybe I am just being hopeful here?). Unless, of course, the 20 pushups are the rumor... :wacko:

Anyone seen anything that verifies or refutes this story?

I like CJ's production, but as soon as he got hurt and all the tiring off field crap he's pulled I just went ahead and said I was done with him this year, let somebody else have him on their team and deal with him. I didn't keep him in the one keeper I owned him and I am happy with my decision.

If he did 20 pullups I'd like it better. Can he raise his arms over his head would be what I'd like to know.

If he did 20 pullups I'd like it better. Can he raise his arms over his head would be what I'd like to know.

I actually tore my labrum playing baseball in college and have had the injury now for six years without repairing it. Quite literally, the only time I even notice the injury is when I perform a throwing motion. I can't throw a softball ten feet without extreme, sharp pain, but I never even notice it otherwise. I play a lot of basketball which requires my arms go above my head, and a I lift weights four times week, all without any pain whatsoever. Neither rebounding or shooting is a problem at all. I was obviously done playing football by then, but I've coached it since then, so I did do some football motions with it, even though they were far less stressful than the full speed of an NFL game. This injury will be a complete non-issue for a wide receiver unless they ask him to throw. There is no other reason in life to make that same movement. I don't know what he means about "unless it pops out". There is no popping out of a labrum, so I don't get that part. That would be more of an AC injury.

Edited by Seahawks21

I actually tore my labrum playing baseball in college and have had the injury now for six years without repairing it. Quite literally, the only time I even notice the injury is when I perform a throwing motion. I can't throw a softball ten feet without extreme, sharp pain, but I never even notice it otherwise. I play a lot of basketball which requires my arms go above my head, and a I lift weights four times week, all without any pain whatsoever. Neither rebounding or shooting is a problem at all. I was obviously done playing football by then, but I've coached it since then, so I did do some football motions with it, even though they were far less stressful than the full speed of an NFL game. This injury will be a complete non-issue for a wide receiver unless they ask him to throw. There is no other reason in life to make that same movement. I don't know what he means about "unless it pops out". There is no popping out of a labrum, so I don't get that part. That would be more of an AC injury.

There are several different types of labrum problems. I'm not a doctor but read up o it when I had shoulder surgery.

What are the common types of labral tears?

The most common patterns of labral tears are:

* SLAP Tears

A SLAP tear is a type of labral tear most commonly seen in overhead throwing athletes such as baseball players and tennis players. The torn labrum seen in a SLAP tear is at the top of the shoulder socket where the biceps tendon attaches to the shoulder.

* Bankart Lesions

A Bankart lesion is a labral tear that occurs when a shoulder dislocates. When the shoulder comes out of joint, the labrum is torn, and makes the shoulder more susceptible to future dislocations.

* Posterior Labral Tears

Posterior labral tears are less common, but sometimes seen in athletes in a condition called internal impingement. In this syndrome, the rotator cuff and labrum are pinched together in the back of the shoulder.

What is the treatment for a torn labrum?

The treatment of a torn labrum depends on the type of tear that has occurred. Most labral tears do not require surgery; however, in patients who have persistent symptoms despite more conservative treatments, surgery may be necessary. For more information about the treatment of a specific type of labral tear, read about the specific patterns listed above.

http://orthopedics.about.com/od/shoulderelbow/a/labrum.htm

I've downgraded the lot of 'em after getting shut out in the 3rd preseason game.

Rudi didn't play, that means the hammy is for real.

TJ didn't play, that means the hammy is for real.

Chad, I'm not so sure about. May just be a rumor.

But this season is looking like a disaster early.

I have hope for them, but only a fool homer's hope at this time.

Here's a link to labrum tears of the shoulder from the University of Michigan. There is nothing wrong with the major structures (muscles, bones, ligaments) with a simple tear of the labrum, which is promising. With strengthening and treatment, he should be fine to play all season--especially if he's already able to do 20 continuous pushups and all his weight-lifting (indicating good strength of the joint). The problem is with the labrum being slightly damaged in that spot, if he were to fall on it in the same manner, if would likely "pop out" again requiring surgery. However it is just as likely that the exercses and treatment work, and he doesn't hurt it again...

Torn labrum

Same here. 5 years with torn labrum before I had surgery. My lifting took a hit and my abilty to throw a ball suffered, but catching was not a problem at all.

There are several different types of labrum problems. I'm not a doctor but read up o it when I had shoulder surgery.

What are the common types of labral tears?

The most common patterns of labral tears are:

* SLAP Tears

A SLAP tear is a type of labral tear most commonly seen in overhead throwing athletes such as baseball players and tennis players. The torn labrum seen in a SLAP tear is at the top of the shoulder socket where the biceps tendon attaches to the shoulder.

* Bankart Lesions

A Bankart lesion is a labral tear that occurs when a shoulder dislocates. When the shoulder comes out of joint, the labrum is torn, and makes the shoulder more susceptible to future dislocations.

* Posterior Labral Tears

Posterior labral tears are less common, but sometimes seen in athletes in a condition called internal impingement. In this syndrome, the rotator cuff and labrum are pinched together in the back of the shoulder.

What is the treatment for a torn labrum?

The treatment of a torn labrum depends on the type of tear that has occurred. Most labral tears do not require surgery; however, in patients who have persistent symptoms despite more conservative treatments, surgery may be necessary. For more information about the treatment of a specific type of labral tear, read about the specific patterns listed above.

http://orthopedics.about.com/od/shoulderelbow/a/labrum.htm

I've done the slap tear and the posterior labral tear on two separate instances playing baseball. It hurts to play ball and too much over use becomes uncomfortable but not unbearable. I've had two different surgeries to repair both problems, but before the surgeries I was able to do anything physical that I wanted too, even baseball except pitch. Catching a football straight over my head wasn't even a problem. If he really did tear his labrum I think his chances of beating Michael Phelps in a race is done and if he had aspirations for pitching for the Yankees those are done too, but football wise he's fine.

I've done the slap tear and the posterior labral tear on two separate instances playing baseball. It hurts to play ball and too much over use becomes uncomfortable but not unbearable. I've had two different surgeries to repair both problems, but before the surgeries I was able to do anything physical that I wanted too, even baseball except pitch. Catching a football straight over my head wasn't even a problem. If he really did tear his labrum I think his chances of beating Michael Phelps in a race is done and if he had aspirations for pitching for the Yankees those are done too, but football wise he's fine.

That's good. Thanks.

It's hard to get any real info out of Bengals camp these days so we may not know what kind of tear, if it is a tear, etc for awhile.

he did the pushups.

I would personally feel better if I saw him do Mountain Climbers. Not because it would tell me how his shoulder was . Just because I could laugh at how stupid he looked doing them.