[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

This has always puzzled me

T-Scorp

but what I'd like to know is why people at ethnic restaurants always order some crappy lager beer from that country? crappy lager beer is not part of any culture....or rather, it is part of EVERY culture. it would be like asking the waiter to bring some ketchup, but make sure the ketchup has chinese characters on the label. :wacko:

I'm completely guilty of this but also very aware that it makes no sense. Pretty much the only time I have a Dos Equis or Corona is when I'm in Mexican town. I also always drink Sapporo at Benihana. However, I NEVER buy it from the beer store.

I'm completely guilty of this but also very aware that it makes no sense. Pretty much the only time I have a Dos Equis or Corona is when I'm in Mexican town. I also always drink Sapporo at Benihana. However, I NEVER buy it from the beer store.

+1, and I'd classify it somewhat in with what I said about chopsticks being a part of the "experience". If I'm at an Italian restaurant (and drinking that night), I'll have a Peroni or Moretti Red. If I'm at a sushi joint, I'll have a Sapporo with my sake. And if I'm at a TexMex place, I'll have a "Mexican Martini" or margarita or Corona or Dos Equis, etc.

:wacko: I don't see anything wrong with it, if you actually like the beer they serve. If you're ordering some crappy swill and still order it after knowing it's crappy swill, then that's dumb. I actually like Italian beers, Sapporo and Mexican beers.

You are probably the guy that goes to McDonalds when you are in Paris. Its all part of the fun of experiencing another culture.

BTW, I went to McDonalds when I was in Paris. :D But mostly so I could have a beer in McDonalds.

Actually quite the opposite, I'm alway looking to try something new especially when traveling. When I was in Canada I had canandian bacon and candian goose! :D Seriously, if I was eating chinese food in China I would certianly try chopsticks; if I was in France I would try French cusine includng the wine.

I was commenting on the fact that Americans in a small town in northern MN choose to eat chinese food with chopsticks

Edit to add, I don't eat at McDonalds :wacko: in this country let alone eat at one overseas! BK all the way baby! :D

Edited by T-Scorp

Actually quite the opposite, I'm alway looking to try something new especially when traveling. When I was in Canada I had canandian bacon and candian goose! :D Seriously, if I was eating chinese food in China I would certianly try chopsticks; if I was in France I would try French cusine includng the wine.

I was commenting on the fact that Americans in a small town in northern MN choose to eat chinese food with chopsticks

Edit to add, I don't eat at McDonalds :wacko: in this country let alone eat at one overseas! BK all the way baby! :D

I'm thinking you probably wouldn't have a choice.

+1, and I'd classify it somewhat in with what I said about chopsticks being a part of the "experience". If I'm at an Italian restaurant (and drinking that night), I'll have a Peroni or Moretti Red. If I'm at a sushi joint, I'll have a Sapporo with my sake. And if I'm at a TexMex place, I'll have a "Mexican Martini" or margarita or Corona or Dos Equis, etc.

:wacko: I don't see anything wrong with it, if you actually like the beer they serve. If you're ordering some crappy swill and still order it after knowing it's crappy swill, then that's dumb. I actually like Italian beers, Sapporo and Mexican beers.

now that is a GOOD beer. same with negra modelo, which I order often at mexican restaurants simply because I know they will have it.

I was busting balls with the McDonalds comment. But I dont know why you have to be in another country to experience a bit of their culture.

And I have been known to order a beer I know is crappy just becuase I am in that atmosphere. I always drink Old Style when I go to a Cubs game. I guess I am a glutten for punishment. And when I say punishment I mean diarrhea.

I use chopsticks when eating Chinese just for the novelty of it as well.

And then I usually throw a few bucks at the nearest Vietnamese guy to help kick out the Americans trying to bring freedom and democracy to complete the novelty.

And I have been known to order a beer I know is crappy just becuase I am in that atmosphere. I always drink Old Style when I go to a Cubs game. I guess I am a glutten for punishment. And when I say punishment I mean diarrhea.

Ah, well that's a different story. I'll drink bad beer every now and then (OK a lot of times) but not as a result of some ethnic-tied reason. :wacko:

I was busting balls with the McDonalds comment. But I dont know why you have to be in another country to experience a bit of their culture.

No offense taken, been married for 17 years so I've had my balls busted a few times! :wacko::D

True about the culture but were talking an average $7 buffet here not some nice ethnic restaraunt.

I think it's fun.

+1

Just making sure of the parameters.

As a whole host of Huddlers can attest...I am not Asian. Never have been, am not now, and at my age probably never will be. However, since I was about 5, when going to a Chinese-American restaurant I used chopsticks. In fact.... if you wanted regular utensils you had to ask for them in those days as you only had chopsticks at the table when you sat down. Now, after all these years, I find it hard not to eat with chopsticks when eating out at a Chinese-American restaurant.

No one I know ever thought about impressing anyone, wanted to be cool, and the food was great even when you used your fingers..so that ain't it either.

Nod! I also thought it showed some respect. :wacko: When in Rome....

I do like Asahi, Saki, and Suntory (single malt of course! :wink; ) in a Japanese restaurant. In a Chinese restaurant green tea works.

Was having lunch with a customer at a chinese restaruant and notice 6 or 7 clearly non-asians eating with chopsticks. Why? :wacko: Does the food taste better? Are they trying to impress the wait staff? Do they feel cool being able to use chopsticks? :D

Anyone who does this care to explain?

I travel to Japan and China for work, like to keep in practice.

You also eat less and slower, which is a nice healthy secondary effect.

why are they continuing to be used (chopsticks that is) when a better more efficent/effective way to eat has been attained (i.e. fork, spoon, knife)??

It's like still going to an outdoor outhouse when you have indoor plumbing??

+1. In terms of efficiency, knife / fork / spoon is to chopsticks as an airliner is to a hot air balloon. They are very anachronistic but whatever, use them if you want to. I'll stick with the KFS.

+1. In terms of efficiency, knife / fork / spoon is to chopsticks as an airliner is to a hot air balloon. They are very anachronistic but whatever, use them if you want to. I'll stick with the KFS. I can't use the damn things.

Fixed.

I only like won ton soup, crab rangoon and fried rice. I guess you could eat the crab with chopsticks but I go hands. Fork and spoon for the others but since I now have a Korean/Chinese sister-in-law I should probably use chopsticks some of the time.

My wife and her friends drove down to the Czech Stop in West for some kolaches this morning. They are awesome.

but what I'd like to know is why people at ethnic restaurants always order some crappy lager beer from that country? crappy lager beer is not part of any culture....or rather, it is part of EVERY culture. it would be like asking the waiter to bring some ketchup, but make sure the ketchup has chinese characters on the label. :wacko:

I do that.

Oooh... Tsing Tao! How exotic. I must have some. Mmm... it's much tastier than stale Bud Light.

Why do people eat with chopsticks in Asian restaraunts?

Ah, Grasshopper, the answer is best delivered by another question...

If not there, where else should I show off this skill I honed as a child???

Heavy Chit! :wacko: