[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

what say you

dmarc117

teens drinking  

35 members have voted

1. 1. did the limo driver do the right thing?

• yes
    • no

Limo driver did the right thing, morally and legally. If parents want to condone/turn a blind eye to their own kid's underage drinking, fine. Then they just need to get off their asses and drive their kids to prom themselves. You can't seriously expect others to incur the legal and moral risk of contributing to the delinquency minors under the mistaken assumption that all parents will be "cool with it."

will teens avoid oversight by adults and drive themselves the next time, even when drunk?

This right here is exactly the issue. They were doing the right thing by hiring a driver. Teens are going to drink no matter how many underage drinking citations the police hand out, maybe because its illegal it makes it more alluring. I personally think the drinking age should be lowered.

This right here is exactly the issue. They were doing the right thing by hiring a driver. Teens are going to drink no matter how many underage drinking citations the police hand out, maybe because its illegal it makes it more alluring. I personally think the drinking age should be lowered.

True..... But it was the Limo driver's ass that was on the line. If it got back to the parents, and one or two made a stink, how fast do you think he would of been fired by the Limo company.....

He did what he had to do. Had he not turned them in, and something happened, both he and the company he works for would end up in court.

Bingo......

True..... But it was the Limo driver's ass that was on the line. If it got back to the parents, and one or two made a stink, how fast do you think he would of been fired by the Limo company.....

Bingo......

I agree 100%

He did what he had to do. Had he not turned them in, and something happened, both he and the company he works for would end up in court.

From a civil perspective, I don't think that this is true (at least legitimately). I don't think that the limo driver (or his company) has a duty to those kids, or to a third-party injured by one of those kids.

Whether allowing that to occur violates some criminal law (like contributing to the delinquency of a minor), I know not.

That comes across as rather naive.

Its the law, most likely, again from a civil perspective.

Unless the law recognizes some type of "special relationship" between a limo driver and his/her passengers (which I doubt), that limo driver had no legal duty to keep those kids from harming themselves or others.

You could watch your 14 year old neighbor drink 12 bottles of Boone's Farm, stagger 100 ft to his dad's pick up truck, roar out of the driveway and promptly mow down another kid. You have no legal duty to intervene.

Using a condom is not illegal. Underage drinking is. Not the same thing.

Well, that's kind of a gray area now isn't it? You teach your kids to act responsibly and minimize risks in their everyday life. To their thinking, that's exactly what they were doing. So now, acting in a manner to minimize risk has gotten them in trouble. Exactly what do you think those kids are going to do the next time they are confronted with a similar situation? Your hope may be that they don't drink, the reality is, they will choose a path with greater risk because with it comes greater rewards.

If the laws are such that the limo driver was in some way responsible for those kid's actions while he was hired but outside of his vehicle, then he did the right thing. However, if he was acting out his own sense of duty then all he did was to reinforce the lesson, trust no one.

I think we can all agree that if even one parent made a stink, at a minimum the limo driver is fired. This is a tough economy. I don't think the limo driver had much of a choice. I guess his other option would have been to drive them all straight home and inform the parents directly that underage drinking was taking place.