[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Prayers for my moms dog

peepinmofo

So Leroy, a black lab, is an 11 year old dog I got as a puppy when I lived with my mom. When I moved out, he stayed with her as she fell in love with him. So anyway, he means the world to my mom and step dad, and last week he had his spleen removed along with a mass the size of a kitty litter pan. Well, she got the call last night that it spread to other organs and he only has about 6 months to live. Anyway, I have a feeling they will be putting him down very soon because he just isnt himself anymore, and it is likely due to pain. Well, he was my first dog, so I have a pretty strong connection with him, and even more so now that I know he isnt going to be around much longer.

So anyway, I could use some cheering up, good vibes, and anythng else that might help. :wacko:

Thanks

:wacko: I put Bootsie, our black lab of 14 years, down a couple of months ago. She had the hip displaxia (sp) and I came home one day and she was paralyzed. It was the toughest thing I've done, but in the end, I felt better for her no longer suffering. Her twin sister, Chalkie, is starting to lose her sight and I know she doesn't have much longer. I think about Bootsie every day, but putting her down is the right thing to do. The vet gave us a footprint in clay as a keepsake and it was very peaceful. I think they won't see any passage of time and will just wake up and I'll be there with them in heaven one day.

I feel for your family: Stay strong Leroy. :D

Edited by TimC

Sorry to hear the bad news. It's amazing how much pets become family to us and mean as much as they do. I hope Leroy's last days are as comfortable as they can be and that your family gets to enjoy as much time as they can with him before he's gone.

In honor of Leroy I have removed my sig, you know the one, and replaced it with a get well wish for Leroy. Good vibes are on the way :wacko:

Good vibes my huddle brother.

I have a pitbull (my 1st dog) who shares time at my parents and my sisters place since I can't take care of him ever since I moved out years ago...I cant imagine the pain because as with you I have a strong connection to him.

Whenever I think of death, I always think of this line (forgot where I heard it, or who wrote it)..It's better to have lost a loved one than to never have loved.

Been there twice and probably will be there again in the next year. Hard thing to do, but when it's time, it's the best decision to make.

Best vibes and thoughts comin', Bro!

:wacko: Hang in there peep!! It is a difficult thing to have to do...and nothing at the time seems to help ease the pain. But know that you and your family gave this little guy a good home, loved him and brought a lot of joy to him and your family. Animals are so devoted. They epitomize unconditional love. If we could only attempt to be so devoted to our friends, family, partners what a better place the world would be. When I had to put my baby of 17 years down a year ago last May...it was the hardest thing I have every experienced next to my Mom's passing of cancer when I was 25. One thing that helped was this website and the responses I received from the people here who knew exactly what I was going through, because they had been there and for some on more than one occassion. I read the posts over and over and it seemed to help me cope. I hope we can do the same for you peep...

My thoughts are with you and your family and Leroy...

One of the toughest things that ever happened to me was losing my dog....heartbreaking in every sense of the word.

Some excellent advice in this thread when I post my similar feelings about losing my dog:

Losing a pet

All the best to you and your family, peep....as hard as it sounds, you are doing the greatest thing you can for your dog by ensuring he is not in any pain.

One of the toughest things that ever happened to me was losing my dog....heartbreaking in every sense of the word.

Some excellent advice in this thread when I post my similar feelings about losing my dog:

Losing a pet

All the best to you and your family, peep....as hard as it sounds, you are doing the greatest thing you can for your dog by ensuring he is not in any pain.

kinda puts things into perspective...as least for me...some friends of mine were talking in general about all that seems to be going on in the world and we agreed that the only constant any more was change...now that I think about it, our pets are a constant...always there when we come home, ready for us to throw the ball, go for a walk or curl up with us on the couch...god love em!!!

Losing a pet

You know, I read this thread back then, and now as I reread it, was it no for me being at work, Id be in tears again. But that is a great story, and thanks for sharing it again.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I just wanted to update everyone...

Leroy has been declining every day, and is just not the same dog. He isnt responsive, and my mom has made the decision to put him down tonight. Its been a pretty rough 2 days since I found out it was his time to go, but he will be bette off. Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers.

Leroy, you were a good pup. You will be missed. See you up there sometime...

:wacko:

Edited by peepinmofo

Well, I just wanted to update everyone...

Leroy has been declining every day, and is just not the same dog. He isnt responsive, and my mom has made the decision to put him down tonight. Its been a pretty rough 2 days since I found out it was his time to go, but he will be bette off. Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers.

Leroy, you were a good pup. You will be missed. See you up there sometime...

:D

:wacko:

I swore I wouldn't cry. I was going to be a man about it. But I cried before I got to the car, I cried all the way there, I cried all the way home ... and i cried off and on for more than several days. Hell, I almost have a tear now as I remember how hard it was to put my lab down. Of all things I hope to never have to do again in my life ... putting down one of my pets ranks VERY VERY high on that list.

Having said that I put off putting him down longer than I should have and I regret that I put him through as much pain as I did. I was being selfish because I didn't want to let him go. In the end it was the right thng to do ... I just should have done it sooner.

Go ahead and cry.

Edited by Grits and Shins

I swore I wouldn't cry. I was going to be a man about it. But I cried before I got to the car, I cried all the way there, I cried all the way home ... and i cried off and on for more than several days. Hell, I almost have a tear now as I remember how hard it was to put my lab down. Of all things I hope to never have to do again in my life ... putting down one of my pets ranks VERY VERY high on that list.

Having said that I put off putting him down longer than I should have and I regret that I put him through as much pain as I did. I was being selfish because I didn't want to let him go. In the end it was the right thng to do ... I just should have done it sooner.

Go ahead and cry.

Darn. I almost shed a tear reading your post Blitz. Animals are special. They do become a big part of the family. I am sorry Peep.

The next person I meet who has as pure a heart as nearly every dog I've known will likely be the first. I truly feel for your family and am sorry for your loss. I am blessed to have two great dogs who should thankfully have many more years of life ahead of them (knocking on wood). I can't imagine how sad it will be when we lose either of them.