[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mortgage rates are very low

Missoula Griz

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just bought a house 4 months ago and I just called and I can lock in a full percent lower than I did back then. It will cost me about $750.00 in fees to do so, but it will pay for itself in 7 months. I think I am going to do it.

Thats pretty much a no brainer if you are going to be in the home for a couple years..

I've been wavering on this for quite sometime now. I rent an apartment now, but the lease expires next summer and we desperately want to get out of this place. It's small, but it's crappy. :-)

I'm not as much concerned about the rates as I am about the average house prices going down. Places up here in CT where I live are not falling in price fast enough for me, and the tax rates aren't going down either.

It's nice that the rates are low, but can anyone actually GET a mortgage right now? They could advertise 2%, but if they aren't approving them :wacko:

Mortgages are not a problem locally.

We'd also buy a house now if we were sure values were at the bottom.

Anybody with half decent credit and 5% down can buy a home in todays conforming loan market. Jumbo loans can be more difficult, depending on loan amount, downpayment and location.

At market close today, a conforming 30 year fixed ( in my market a loan of 417K or less) was at 5.125%. If any of you are on the fence currently, its time to maybe pull the mortgage trigger.

PM me if you need more info.

bill gross just said he expects the 30y to fall to about 4.5% in the next 6-9 months. :wacko:

Wow..that would be incredible. My mortgage on my previous house was a 15-year at like 4 1/8%, I believe. And that was purty good. I couldn't imagine getting a 30-year at 4.5%. All of America should be refinancing then.

Wow..that would be incredible. My mortgage on my previous house was a 15-year at like 4 1/8%, I believe. And that was purty good. I couldn't imagine getting a 30-year at 4.5%. All of America should be refinancing then.

except that a whole lot of America is either underwater on their current mortgage or doesn't have enough equity in their home to refinance.

Those who could refinance would, and those who've been sitting on the sidelines would re-emerge wiping out a lot of the residential housing overhang.

except that a whole lot of America is either underwater on their current mortgage or doesn't have enough equity in their home to refinance.

Well yeah, there's that. Those of us that put money down (over 20%) and don't live in overbuilt big cities that have been crushed should come out sitting pretty hopefully. It'll act like a bailout for smart people.

Well yeah, there's that. Those of us that put money down (over 20%) and don't live in overbuilt big cities that have been crushed should come out sitting pretty hopefully. It'll act like a bailout for smart people.

STS.

I'd be all over a refi for 4.5/30yr fixed. We've got plenty o' equity in this box we call home. Of course, we had it built in '94, scrimping down to the last penny to get there and we've had the luck of the real estate boom which more than doubled the value of the house. Even with the downturn we could realize a tidy little sum out of it. :wacko:

I probably wouldn't do something stupid like take cash out though, which I'm sure the economy folks wish we would.