[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jeff Jagodzinski to be fired

Randall

Boston College has reportedly informed Jeff Jagodzinski that he will be fired as head coach if he interviews with the Jets.

The BC athletic director must not realize that it's an honor to have your college coach generate NFL interest. Jagodzinski is also not known to be anywhere near the top of the Jets' wish list. Mortensen says Jags will interview with the Jets, despite BC's threat. He should know he'll get a new, and potentially better job quickly, be it as an NFL coordinator or at another school.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?i...ce=NFLHeadlines

Come back to Green Bay.

What a load of crap. I swear, in any other profession, people are applauded for moving up. In coaching, or even playing, they're vilified. Vilified by the same people who'll run you out on a rail if you have a few rough seasons.

Every four years, senators and governors ditch their positions mid-term to take National office or cabinet positions. Do we trip? Of course not. That's how it works. But not football, hell no.

It astounds me how much more important people take sports that they do life.

I can't even imagine BC's threats are legal unless they have something specific in his contract. If they followed through on their threat they would only damage the BC program. If this really is true it would be one of the most disturbing stories in CF.

Kind of ridiculous for a program as "meh" as BC. This guy shows up two years ago and they have one their division both years. They should be happy he is there. The AD should be doing the normal things of extending contracts and putting big buyout clauses (or Bob Stoops "stay" money lines in). What proven coach would want to go to a school where the AD would act like this? Jackassery at its best.

This is interesting if true-

Jagodzinski has a decision to make

By Don Walker of the Journal Sentinel

Jan. 5, 2009 8:37 a.m.

Jeff Jagodzinski, the former West Allis Central grad and former offensive coordinator for the Green Bay Packers, has a decision to make.

According to media reports, Jagodzinski, head coach at Boston College, has been told that he will be fired if he interviews for the vacant head-coaching job with the New York Jets.

Sources have told ESPN.com that Jagodzinski had been given an ultimatum by school officials and that Jagodzinski contacted members of his staff over the weekend telling them he had a decision to make and that the situation would be resolved by today.

The speculation is that Jagodzinski is connected to New York because of Brett Favre. Favre, you may recall, once tried to get the Packers to interview his friend Steve Mariucci as head coach. Now, the speculation is that Favre is doing the same with Jagodzinski in New York.

This is interesting if true-

Jagodzinski has a decision to make

By Don Walker of the Journal Sentinel

Jan. 5, 2009 8:37 a.m.

Jeff Jagodzinski, the former West Allis Central grad and former offensive coordinator for the Green Bay Packers, has a decision to make.

According to media reports, Jagodzinski, head coach at Boston College, has been told that he will be fired if he interviews for the vacant head-coaching job with the New York Jets.

Sources have told ESPN.com that Jagodzinski had been given an ultimatum by school officials and that Jagodzinski contacted members of his staff over the weekend telling them he had a decision to make and that the situation would be resolved by today.

The speculation is that Jagodzinski is connected to New York because of Brett Favre. Favre, you may recall, once tried to get the Packers to interview his friend Steve Mariucci as head coach. Now, the speculation is that Favre is doing the same with Jagodzinski in New York.

If the Jets are allowing Favre to influence personnel decisions, they should have their head examined. OK, the guy's a gamer. We get it. However, he's made a living off winning despite his decision making skills. Maybe he's not exactly the guy teams should be consulting on stuff like this.

Am I the only one who agrees with BC?

The guy signed a contract. Why not live up to it?

They threatened to fire him. If what you're saying is true just tell him to abide by the contract. A lot of workers interview for jobs while under contract.

The Packers told Holmgren no when he wanted to leave after winning the Super Bowl.

:wacko:

IMO, it's fine to interview for a job that begins after the contract expires. Here's the problem... if they sue him for breach of contract and they win less than the raise he'd get from the JETS, then he wins and they lose. I'm not sure that's fair.

For example, some years back, Publix grocery store used a song by jazz musician Pat Metheny, he sued and was paid less than he would've received properly from royalty payment. I'm not sure why, but this is too common place. Why should someone break the rules and benefit?

I don't know all the details here but workers do interview with other companies and buy outs occur. Normally you get permission and here he didn't have it.

If it were me and I wanted him to stay I wouldn't threaten to fire him, I'd deny permission for him to interview elsewhere and tell him he has to stay.

They could also demand he buy out of the contract. I just questioned how they handled this. It may hurt them with other hires in the future.

:wacko:

IMO, it's fine to interview for a job that begins after the contract expires. Here's the problem... if they sue him for breach of contract and they win less than the raise he'd get from the JETS, then he wins and they lose. I'm not sure that's fair.

For example, some years back, Publix grocery store used a song by jazz musician Pat Metheny, he sued and was paid less than he would've received properly from royalty payment. I'm not sure why, but this is too common place. Why should someone break the rules and benefit?

It sounds like the relationship between coach and AD is strained and they are looking for a way to get rid of him. A lot of people think BC has overacheived, but they are famous for killing their season. They seem to always lose to crappy teams and then beat good teams. Maybe they feel with the talent on his team they should have won the ACC last year or this year. Not sure.

What a load of crap. I swear, in any other profession, people are applauded for moving up. In coaching, or even playing, they're vilified. Vilified by the same people who'll run you out on a rail if you have a few rough seasons.

Every four years, senators and governors ditch their positions mid-term to take National office or cabinet positions. Do we trip? Of course not. That's how it works. But not football, hell no.

It astounds me how much more important people take sports that they do life.

:wacko: sounds like you've never worked in a corporate environment before.

Anyone gets promoted here and even the higher ups are pissed off and resentful. To get promoted you really need a friend or a fan of your work in the right position to make things happen.

I suppose it has nothing to do with the fact that HE IS UNDER CONTRACT to BC.

Which, provided it's anything at all like other coaching contracts, likely means they need to buy him out to fire him and someone needs to buy them out to take him away.

I don't follow BC much outside of hearing about them from time to time on talk radio, but they not only lost to Vandy in that WhateverBowl, but they missed out on getting into a better bowl due to a fade at the end of the season, I think.

I think Jags isn't thinking clearly if he goes to this interview (assuming he'd want to stay at BC). I don't believe he's in the upper tier of candidates for the job, but he might be a bone they're throwing to Favre. I don't know that I'd want to risk giving up my job for that. Now if the state of affairs is there's tension pre-existing and the school is looking for an out...well, maybe this is his ticket.

Kind of ridiculous for a program as "meh" as BC. This guy shows up two years ago and they have one their division both years. They should be happy he is there.

Eh, BC is a solid program, they've had PLENTY of success prior to Jagodzinski.

Czarina touched on it, maybe Jagz wants out.

This has been speculated.... he is more of a Pro coach than a College coach.

I gave him a lot of the credit in getting Matt Ryan to where he is today, OROY and on his couch after the first

round of the playoffs, not bad for a rookie. And, if Crane hadn't gone down at the end of the year BC would

have finished strong and kicked Vandy's butt in the 'Fruit Bowl'....

just say'n, BC isn't the easiest of schools to HC at either.....

there is also the possible matter of trust between Defilippo and Jagz as referenced here

You're comparing musical copyrights to CFB contracts... It doesn't quite work.

Eh, BC is a solid program, they've had PLENTY of success prior to Jagodzinski.

I guess, I was thinking that the ACC is somewhere around the 4th or 5th best conference. So he has won the division title two years in a deep conference but one without any great teams. Florida State, Miami, Boston College, Georgia Tech, Wake Forest and even Clemson had their moments but they have all been flaky. So I'll agree that BC is solid, but I don't really consider them the kind of school that can afford to piss away winning talent. If you want to keep a coach, then you need a reasonable buyout clause, offer "stay" money, or make sure that they are so f-ing happy that they don't want to leave. Its not like he is interviewing for another ACC school's HC job. He has a chance to interview for an NFL team that almost went to the playoffs. Can't really blame the guy for at least being interested. Regardless, this seems like something that should be handled in house instead of throwing threats out to the media. I believe the AD is hurting Boston College right now as it would taint that school in my eyes if I was an up and coming HC.

This happens all the time, right? Coaches interview for other jobs while they have a longer contract for their current job. Am I missing something? What makes this situation different? That they had an "oral agreement" he'd be there for the long haul?

I understand BC's point but they are not approaching it in the right way it seems.

Edited by Goopster24

From what i heard on the sports radio station this afternoon, it's possible that Jags lied to BC when asked if the Jets had contacted him. They were also talking about some "insider" who said that Jags was frustrated with the recruitment process and he was tired of students feigning interest and then signing elsewhere.