[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Education for Children

Brentastic

So while I was reading the 'McDonalds' thread I saw some banter going on about being home-schooled. Being the father of an almost 6 month old boy and hating the standard educational system - I have been on the hunt for the optimal schooling for my son. I think I found it in the form of a montessori education. I'm not really looking for someone to offer something better because I'm pretty sold on this way of learning but rather looking for anyone with experience in this type of learning - ie... does anyone here have children that go to a montessori school or have friends and relatives with kids that attend? I only know of one person (the V.P. of my wife's company) who has their children in a Montessori and I'd like to get other's experiences.

Please discuss.

If you do your research, you'll know what is best for your child. We looked at many different places, but decided Montessori wasn't for our son. He needed a bit more structure to his day. He's like his mom that way. Take a look at the schools, what they teach, how they teach, and you'll find what's best for you and your family. One of the most important parts of any school is home to school communication. If that is set up well, you'll be happy.

I took my son to visit a Montessori when he was 4. I think it would have been a tremendous fit for him but there were other circumstances that kept us from sending him there. There's a lot to recommend this style of learning, but it's not for everybody. Anyhow, my :wacko: :

Make sure that you're looking at a real Montessori school when you start school shopping. Maria Montessori didn't copyright the name and literally anybody can call their school a Montessori school regardless of whether they follow the method or not. The teachers' credentials should be able to lead you in the right direction.

Many Montessoris are preschool/kindergarten only, so you'll have to consider how to handle the transition to another type of schooling if this is how you're going to go. If you're lucky, you may find a school that goes to 6th grade.

my son has been in a Montessori school since 18 months (he's 3 1/2 now) I'll be sending my little girl there when she turns 18 months as well. We love it, they are taught to self-relaince, independence, and encouraged to do things on their own....simple things like having them carry their own lunch boxes into school, parents are discouraged from carrying their kids to their classrooms (let the kid walk), they are taught to take off and put on their own coats, wash their own hands, etc....puzzles and other activities are called "work" and succesful completion of this work builds self-esteem and a sense of accomplishment. They are also placed in classes where some kids are a little older, whereby these older ones can teach the younger ones. I see it as very structured, the kids are quiet, orderly, and well-behaved. Each day when I pick up my son, he is sitting at his table, doing his work, he sees me, asks me to sit down and watch him complete his work....he then takes whatever he's working on back to shelf in the specific spot designated for that item, pushes in his chair, puts on his coat, grabs his own lunch box and walks with me to the car.

I really believe the most important part of any education falas on the parents. It is our job to get them in the right school ad hold both the student and teacher accountable.It is also our job to expose them to as muh as possible outside of the classroom. I'm taking Jr. out of class for close to a week to go hang out at NASA and he is going to go to sea and do some tidal monitoring. I'm pretty sure he wont get that kind of experience at a public 1st grade.

they are taught to self-relaince, independence, and encouraged to do things on their own...

:wacko:

I went to public school until first grade; long story short, my parents pulled me when the principal told them I was going to have to learn patience and wait for the rest of my classmates to catch up to where I was academically - rather than the school challenge me with more work.

I went to a Montessori school from 1st-5th grade, but with this particular school as you went up in grades the classes tended to get a bit smaller - my parents decided I would need a bit more breathing room for middle school, so I left Montessori for public school again.

When I signed up for middle school, I did some testing and was able to skip 6th grade and start right in 7th. I completely give the Montessori system credit for that.

It's a great system with lots of great people involved. If you think it would be a good fit for your kids, I highly recommend it.

Thanks for all the discussion huddlers! I knew that any school can call themselves Montessori and there's essentially no formal organization for them to join. So my question is: how can I tell it's the right school? Is there some sort of credentials or any other documentation that I can look for? I'm not sure when we will start him in it? Maybe at 2 or 3 years of age.

Atomic - what age is your son now (that he started one month ago). Again, thanks for all of the advice :wacko:

E2A: I found a Montessori school literally blocks away from our house here in Chicago that claims this:

We are the first school in the city to be accredited exclusively by AMI (Association Montessori International). This organization was started by Dr. Maria Montessori in 1929 to preserve the integrity of her life's work with children, train teachers, and oversee the direction of schools around the world under her original guidelines.

Anyone know of that organization and if it's an indicator of a good montessori school?

Edited by Brentastic

Association Montessori Internationale schools are the ones you will want to look for. they are usually the best as well as very expensive.

our oldest attend one from 4-6 and his math skills, reading and writing skill are way above grade level now ( hes in 3rd grade). we had to pull him because of the expense.

Be sure you look at what guidelines the Montessori is using. if they are not fallowing Dr. Maria Montessori ideas i would go somewhere else.

I really believe the most important part of any education falas on the parents. It is our job to get them in the right school ad hold both the student and teacher accountable.It is also our job to expose them to as muh as possible outside of the classroom. I'm taking Jr. out of class for close to a week to go hang out at NASA and he is going to go to sea and do some tidal monitoring. I'm pretty sure he wont get that kind of experience at a public 1st grade.

Agreed. As an example, one of the subjects I teach is social studies. I need to teach the difference between local, state, and federal government. It is extremely difficult to do when a student has never left the city. Students who have traveled around the country have a much easier time understanding the concept.

I argued with a teacher who was complaining last year about a student who was missing a month of school to visit Africa. She thought the parents were being irresponsible for pulling the child out for that long. I argued that there is no way a teacher can replicate an experience like that. There are plenty of things that can't be taught in a classroom. Of course, that's probably why I also tend to teach through community based instruction whenever I get the chance. There's nothing like taking a group of students with behavioral and emotional impairments on trips around the city using the public transportation system. :wacko:

My suggestion would be to visit a variety of schools. You'll know which one is best for your child.

Atomic - what age is your son now (that he started one month ago). Again, thanks for all of the advice :wacko:

Both my sons are going to a big church daycare that also houses a Montessori school. The daycare is based on Montessori principles, but they aren't graduated up into the official Montessori school until they are at least 2.5 and completely potty trained. He was almost exactly 3 years old when he moved up. This particular school only goes to Kindergarten, then they need to go to a different school.

Okey doke, the school that was founded by a friend of mine and her mother in CA (Oak Knoll Kinderhaus in Pasadena) is affiliated with AMI, which is an international association.

The school where my SIL works (Merrimack Valley Montessori School in Salem) is affiliated with AMS, an American montessori society.

I think the key here is that the school you choose is affiliated with one of these, the teachers are certified in the method and you like the vibe in the school.

My kids are "unschooled", which is in the Montessori tradition. Different kids learn different things in different ways and at different times. My oldest (8) was reading at four and testing out past 6th grade reading and math skills at 6. The youngest (6) is just now really reading and writing, but has been great at Math for a while and runs rings around the older in any physical contest. The youngest would rather get out and handle bugs, snakes, etc. than read about them. We showed the oldest how to use google at a young age and she'll go research most anything she wants to learn. If we get a new piece of gadgetry in the house we give her the instruction manual and she teaches us how to use it.

And for the Have to agree here!!!! Socialization!!! crowd, the girls are in Daisy/Girl Scouts, Church groups, and a couple different home-school associations so they get plenty of experience with other kids AND adults.

Echoing Polksy's thoughts, parents are the most important thing IMO. That said, at the Montessori I went to (K-6), everyone scored in the 90% percentile and above on national standardized tests. We all had very involved parents, but we were doing math, reading, and science 2 grades ahead of our own compared to the public schools. Montessori challenges academically and teaches self-discipline. I wish I could have gone through 12th grade, but they didn't have Montessori that high when I was that age. Going to a "normal" school 7-12 sucked. 7th grade and the better part of 8th was a straight waste of my time academically. However, I turned out fine socially. I quickly learned catholic school girls are very very bad.

My kids are "unschooled", which is in the Montessori tradition. Different kids learn different things in different ways and at different times. My oldest (8) was reading at four and testing out past 6th grade reading and math skills at 6. The youngest (6) is just now really reading and writing, but has been great at Math for a while and runs rings around the older in any physical contest. The youngest would rather get out and handle bugs, snakes, etc. than read about them. We showed the oldest how to use google at a young age and she'll go research most anything she wants to learn. If we get a new piece of gadgetry in the house we give her the instruction manual and she teaches us how to use it.

And for the Have to agree here!!!! Socialization!!! crowd, the girls are in Daisy/Girl Scouts, Church groups, and a couple different home-school associations so they get plenty of experience with other kids AND adults.

Do you make their clothes from old sheets and tablecloths, and refuse to let them drink any soda or cow's milk? Or is that just a cruel stereotype.

Because honestly that's what I'm picturing. I'm sure I'm not alone.

"My kids will not be spoiled by your dee-luxe zippered clothes and your fancy sugared water! Now get off mah land, interloper!!"

Do you make their clothes from old sheets and tablecloths, and refuse to let them drink any soda or cow's milk? Or is that just a cruel stereotype.

"My kids will not be spoiled by your dee-luxe zippered clothes and your fancy sugared water! Now get off mah land, interloper!!"

+1

another Montessori thing my little guy (3 yr oild) is working on is reading, blended w/ math....they have the kids take a small box w/ for example, the #5 written on it, inside the box is 5 small objects, like little sea shells. With one arm behind is back (very important step in the process), he pulls out each sea shell one by one, lining them up left to right, counting each one till he gets to five.....reading is done left to right, of course, this is training the brain to think of symbols and objects left to right, reading them left to right, counting, and repeating...it's a great concept and we practice at home

No, but we don't buy Levi's because we don't like the company's political views. Does that help in your stereotyping of me? Glad to be of assistance.

Dude, I like my modern conveniences. I had enough wood splitting and gardening and picking up rocks from fields when I was a kid to last me a lifetime. Other than killing and growing some food we don't make anything ourselves. I don't even work on my vehicles anymore (most of the time) because the outlay is less valuable that the time nowadays to me.

I won't dis Montessori, but as an old teacher in the Public School System I think too many people think that if they pay extra they get better. That is not always true.

Brent,

My daughter is a CPS teacher. She complains all the time as to how much of her "free time" is spent on doing work for the CPS! She is dedicated, she works hard, and I think her school is close to you. Uplift? It's a High School now, but started as a combo JHS/SHS.

All I'm saying is that "What you spend does not necessarily get your child a better education.". Public schools in Chi and the surrounding burbs are doing a good job. Don't dismiss them just cause!

RR, that's right, I use the Montessori school now, until my kids are ready for kinder/grade school, where we have a wonderful public school in place that I won't have to pay tuition for...well, property taxes pays for it, but that's why i moved into this school district 2 yrs ago...

RR, that's right, I use the Montessori school now, until my kids are ready for kinder/grade school, where we have a wonderful public school in place that I won't have to pay tuition for...well, property taxes pays for it, but that's why i moved into this school district 2 yrs ago...

Hope it's a good one.

We moved 18+ years ago but stayed in the same system of schools. My daughter wanted to stay w/ friends she had made thru grammer school. In DuPage County, IL, it is NOT considered a great school. Why? High Hispanic population. MEH!!!! My daughter graduated in the top 5% of her class, got into U of I, which is NOT an easy school to get into, resident or not. Many of her friends qualified and went to U of I, Michigan, and more. She worked for Target Corp. in Minny after graduating. Hated the job, came back home and got her teaching creds and an MA! She is doing well, albeit over worked, and should get tenure this year. I am so proud of her I could bust! :wacko: Bottom line.....don't over analyze your school system. Sometimes it's better to be in a supposed "Questionable School". Especially if your child has a focus!

I support public education 100%! And will til the day I die.