[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Disney World

Hat Trick

My family and I go to Disney every summer. At this point, we spend most of our dinners at places around Disney but not in Disney. I know there are great places to eat in Disney but if you're looking for a few outside, let me know.

What is that name of the place we had lunch at one day that the waiters/waitresses tell you to keep your elbows off the table and act rude? It was quite funny and the kids loved it. Decent lunch...nothing fancy...but the waiters make it funny. I'd go back there next time I go. I haven't been in about 7 years now. Swore I'd never go back unless forced. :wacko:

Character Dining? Great Food? Atmosphere?

This site does a decent job of giving you the basics for each restaurant. We're going in April, and we have all of our reservations set up or planned. It stinks when you have to look around for a place without a wait when you're hungry.

This page has pics of the restaurants.

Found it. 50s Prime Time Cafe. Go there for a cheap lunch with the kids. Lotta fun. :wacko:

The story or theme at 50's Prime Time Café is that Mom is in the kitchen cooking, and everyone present is family. Generally everyone is referred to as kids—when the Smith family checks in and their table is ready, an announcement is made calling the “Smith kids.”

Servers tend to be your aunt, uncle or cousin, and there is a lot of good-natured ribbing that occurs here. Someone looking for a quiet meal with little attention would be better off choosing another restaurant. The servers chastise diners for any elbows spotted on the table, and expect people to set their own table using the flatware found at the center of the table. It's not uncommon for diners to be given nicknames by the servers, such as Spanky, Princess, or Scooter. It can be great fun to play along with them, and children in particular seem to enjoy watching their parents being treated like kids.

do something else. disneyland is just one big money suck. go see the grand canyon.

I would agree to some extent. I went in 1986 and loved it. Went a few yrs ago and hated it. I had promised to take the kids there one day so we did it for a family vacation. IMO there are to many of the same things in each park, i.e. 3 D movies. If you seen one, you seen them all. Sure, they have different characters in them but thats about it.

One mistake we made is trying to do to many parks day after day. We should have had a rest day between them. Also we should not have gone in the summer but thats the only time we could.

One thing I did notice was the ticket prices. Be sure to pay close attention. For example.

1 day may cost $95

2 days may cost $175

3 days may cost $250

4 days may cost $255

I have no idea what the prices are but you notice on day 4 that it cost only $5 more.

Be sure to pay the extra for the FAST PASS. It saves lots of time. WELL WORTH IT.

Found it. 50s Prime Time Cafe. Go there for a cheap lunch with the kids. Lotta fun. :wacko:

The story or theme at 50's Prime Time Café is that Mom is in the kitchen cooking, and everyone present is family. Generally everyone is referred to as kids—when the Smith family checks in and their table is ready, an announcement is made calling the “Smith kids.”

Servers tend to be your aunt, uncle or cousin, and there is a lot of good-natured ribbing that occurs here. Someone looking for a quiet meal with little attention would be better off choosing another restaurant. The servers chastise diners for any elbows spotted on the table, and expect people to set their own table using the flatware found at the center of the table. It's not uncommon for diners to be given nicknames by the servers, such as Spanky, Princess, or Scooter. It can be great fun to play along with them, and children in particular seem to enjoy watching their parents being treated like kids.

Been there twice and the kids loved it. I wouldn't eat my green beans and the waitress tried to force feed me. Then when dessert came out, there were three green beans sticking out of my ice cream.

Edited by Puddy

Been there twice and the kids loved it. I wouldn't eat my green beans and the waitress tried to force feed me. Then when dessert came out, there were three green beans sticking out of my ice cream.

:wacko: That's great.

We didn't realize what sort of diner it was when we went in. First thing we did was put the elbows on the table....big mistake. Then, we kept waiting for her to put our silverware out for us. Ooops. And I'm about the only one that likes vegetables so they all had issues. It's probably one of our best memories of Disney. :D

:wacko: That's great.

We didn't realize what sort of diner it was when we went in. First thing we did was put the elbows on the table....big mistake. Then, we kept waiting for her to put our silverware out for us. Ooops. And I'm about the only one that likes vegetables so they all had issues. It's probably one of our best memories of Disney. :D

Is there a Club 33 at DisneyWorld or is that just at DisneyLand?

Bring lots of $$$$. You get better deals at lunch if I remember correctly.

Plan on it, we got the regular dining plan and plan to eat off site a lot too since we will be doing the road trip and will have a car.

do something else. disneyland is just one big money suck. go see the grand canyon.

Well we have small children and they will love it, we've been waiting years to take them. It is definitely a lot of work planning for this place. Grand Canyon is on the list of places we are going to see, but not this year. Thanks for the advice though. :wacko:

Character Dining? Great Food? Atmosphere?

This site does a decent job of giving you the basics for each restaurant. We're going in April, and we have all of our reservations set up or planned. It stinks when you have to look around for a place without a wait when you're hungry.

This page has pics of the restaurants.

Awesome, thanks!

Found it. 50s Prime Time Cafe. Go there for a cheap lunch with the kids. Lotta fun. :D

Ha ha, my kids would love this, thanks!

I would agree to some extent. I went in 1986 and loved it. Went a few yrs ago and hated it. I had promised to take the kids there one day so we did it for a family vacation. IMO there are to many of the same things in each park, i.e. 3 D movies. If you seen one, you seen them all. Sure, they have different characters in them but thats about it.

One mistake we made is trying to do to many parks day after day. We should have had a rest day between them. Also we should not have gone in the summer but thats the only time we could.

One thing I did notice was the ticket prices. Be sure to pay close attention. For example.

1 day may cost $95

2 days may cost $175

3 days may cost $250

4 days may cost $255

I have no idea what the prices are but you notice on day 4 that it cost only $5 more.

Be sure to pay the extra for the FAST PASS. It saves lots of time. WELL WORTH IT.

yeah, I've read all the topics discussed on the huddle about Disney and there is some great advice, not to mention a huddler sent me a free ebook that had tons of good info in it. We aren't really the go-go type when we are on vacation, we like to relax so we only have 2 day passes. We plan to enjoy the resort that we are paying the most for and traveling one day to the Gulf to relax on the beach. I know the prices are better after day 4 but that's just too much for us.

Well we have small children and they will love it, we've been waiting years to take them. It is definitely a lot of work planning for this place. Grand Canyon is on the list of places we are going to see, but not this year. Thanks for the advice though. :wacko:

If your children like the Playhouse Disney stuff, definitely go to Hollywood Studios. They have a good live show and you can have breakfast with JoJo, Goliath and the Little Einsteins. Our son has loved breakfast with JoJo. Even though he doesn't really watch the show too often, he still wanted to do the breakfast. He's tall enough for the Star Wars ride now, so he's very excited for that.

We also do the breakfast at the Crystal Palace w/ Tigger and Pooh in the Magic Kingdom. Last time we had breakfast with Lilo and Stitch at the Polynesian Resort. I didn't care for the food there. It wasn't bad, just not what I like. Character dining is good to do once or twice during a trip with little ones. Just be sure to make reservations as soon as possible... like now.

1 day may cost $95

2 days may cost $175

3 days may cost $250

4 days may cost $255

The fast pass is free.

Edited by caddyman

Fast Pass is free. I was at Disney's Animal Kingdom this past Saturday and grabbed utilized Fast Pass on just about every ride. It saved anywhere from 20-40 minutes per ride. Also, because I am frugal, I packed snacks and PB&J sandwiches. I have a hard time paying $7 for a nasty hotdog and fries. I also brought juice boxes for the kids and water for me and the wife.

I am not Disney World freak, but I don't get why some people bash it. Where else do you get the quality of food, entertainment, transportation, cleanliness, etc. that you do at WDW? No where I have ever been - and I have traveled a lot.

Would I go there with just adults - probably once to see it. But with kids, there's no where else to get the bang for the buck.

Anyway, try Boma. Its an African-inspired buffet in the Animal Kingdom Lodge. Great atmosphere and fantastic food.

If you can get a Husband and Wife dinner in there and don;t mind spending a few $$, Victoria and Albert's in the Grand Floridian Hotel is a very nice experience.

For a great, fancier meal without the young kids or with the older kids, try Victoria & Alberts at the Grand Floridian. Surprisingly one of the best meals that my wife and I have ever had.

What can I expect to pay there? I've read around $300...that's just not worth it to me. I've spent $200 on food before but for a major occassion, but....

What can I expect to pay there? I've read around $300...that's just not worth it to me. I've spent $200 on food before but for a major occassion, but....

It's been 5 years since I have bee, so I don't recall...

What I remember is that there is a price for dinner and ten a price for the accompanying wine tasting. "dinner" includes all the food. If you want something to drink I believe that's extra.

http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/dining/dini...estaurant.ID=33

JMO, but it was worth my $$. I know it's a lot, but it remains my favorite dining experience of my life.