[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Day the Music Died

MikesVikes

The Surf Ballroom in Clear Lake, Iowa. I've been by there many times. A few blocks from where my brother lived.

link

Here's a link to the story. link

Richardson had developed a case of the flu during the tour and asked one of Holly's bandmates, Waylon Jennings, for his seat on the plane; Jennings agreed to give up the seat. When Holly learned that Jennings wasn't going to fly, he said, "Well, I hope your ol' bus freezes up." Jennings responded, "Well, I hope your ol' plane crashes." This exchange of words, though made in jest at the time, haunted Jennings for the rest of his life.

Edited by MikesVikes

I had forgotten Holly was 22 and Valens was 17. I don't know if anyone here is really old enough to capture the historic context, but are there any two people from recent history that we might be able to compare this tragedy do?

I had forgotten Holly was 22 and Valens was 17. I don't know if anyone here is really old enough to capture the historic context, but are there any two people from recent history that we might be able to compare this tragedy do?

Not sure what you mean by "historic context" but I can remember that day vividly... and as far as comparing... I don't think so.

Not sure what you mean by "historic context" but I can remember that day vividly... and as far as comparing... I don't think so.

Popular music was certainly a different beast back then. Were these two like on top of the world? Are we talking....like a Jonas brother and an NSYC member passing away, or would it be more like a teenage Micheal Jackson and a young Garth Brooks passing?

Since there were THREE of them. Holly, Valens, and JP Richardson (The Big Bopper), I would say that you would have a hard time coming up with three going at the same time to compare. Maybe Hendrix, Morrison, and Joplin all at once could be close, but would still probably fall short. As far as someone in the music business today.... I will have to go ask my granddaughter about that as you have to be a teenager to understand the feeling of losing people like Holly, Valens, and Richardson all at once.

Nod

Since there were THREE of them. Holly, Valens, and JP Richardson (The Big Bopper), I would say that you would have a hard time coming up with three going at the same time to compare. Maybe Hendrix, Morrison, and Joplin all at once could be close, but would still probably fall short. As far as someone in the music business today.... I will have to go ask my granddaughter about that as you have to be a teenager to understand the feeling of losing people like Holly, Valens, and Richardson all at once.

+1

There is no comparison in the rock world. These guys were headliners, every place they went.

It was "The Day that Music Died!"

Tupac and Biggie?? :D

Well.... :wacko: ....

What if Hannah Montana were lost to us? Wouldn't that count as losing two young popular singers?

It's pretty obvious that you could care less about the three that died on Feb 3, 1959. You probably have no idea who they are. So why the need to post?

Bye bye miss american pie

drove my Chevy to the levee

but the levee was dry

And them good old boys were drinkin' Whiskey and rye...Timmay???? :wacko:

Such a great song written about that sad day.

It's pretty obvious that you could care less about the three that died on Feb 3, 1959. You probably have no idea who they are. So why the need to post?

In defense of his first post, Tupac Shakur and George Wallace (Biggie Smalls / Notorious B.I.G.) were on their way to being cultural icons, if not already. I know you're not a fan of all things recent, but I would contend that these two guys were major icons of this generation.

Now, don't get me wrong, I most certainly understand the significance/tragedy of the Holly/Valens/Bopper crash.

miller's Hannah Montana blast was an unsuccessful stab at humor, but his first post had some merit, IMO.

And them good old boys were drinkin' Whiskey and rye...Timmay???? :wacko:

Singin' this'll be the day that I die. This'll be the day that I die...

Great song!

In defense of his first post, Tupac Shakur and George Wallace (Biggie Smalls / Notorious B.I.G.) were on their way to being cultural icons, if not already. I know you're not a fan of all things recent, but I would contend that these two guys were major icons of this generation.

Now, don't get me wrong, I most certainly understand the significance/tragedy of the Holly/Valens/Bopper crash.

miller's Hannah Montana blast was an unsuccessful stab at humor, but his first post had some merit, IMO.

Fair enough.

The Surf Ballroom in Clear Lake, Iowa. I've been by there many times. A few blocks from where my brother lived.

link

Here's a link to the story. link

Richardson had developed a case of the flu during the tour and asked one of Holly's bandmates, Waylon Jennings, for his seat on the plane; Jennings agreed to give up the seat. When Holly learned that Jennings wasn't going to fly, he said, "Well, I hope your ol' bus freezes up." Jennings responded, "Well, I hope your ol' plane crashes." This exchange of words, though made in jest at the time, haunted Jennings for the rest of his life.

Holy crap, I never knew that. And I consider myself a moderate Holly fan and a pretty hugh Jennings fan.

Holy crap, I never knew that. And I consider myself a moderate Holly fan and a pretty hugh Jennings fan.

For probably a good 30 years you couldn't get Jennings to talk about it though I did see an interview (probably 10-12 years ago now) where he finally discussed it and it wasn't pretty watching him talk. Emotions were still running high. As far as I could tell, he never forgave himself for not being on that plane.

Article in RS this week. Apparently Valens wasn't going to be on the plane and talked someone (can't remember who, but noone i'd heard of) into flipping a coin for the last spot on the plane. finally this other guy agreed to the coin flip and Lost, giving Valens the seat on the plane. Pretty incredible.

I think it would be like losing Cobain, Staley and Hoon on the same heroin overdose.

Article in RS this week. Apparently Valens wasn't going to be on the plane and talked someone (can't remember who, but noone i'd heard of) into flipping a coin for the last spot on the plane. finally this other guy agreed to the coin flip and Lost, giving Valens the seat on the plane. Pretty incredible.

I think that was made up for the movie.