[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cutler is pissed off

CaP'N GRuNGe

I guess if anyone would know what it takes to hold rivers' jock, you'd be the guy :wacko:

wait, Taz is hold Rivers' jock -and- JStew's?

:D

here you go taz

Rivers --> :D <-- Cutler

I WIN!!

Edited by tazinib1

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rivers --> :wacko: <-- Cutler

I WIN!!

i'm not exactly sure how you win. last time your team was in the SB, my team treated them like a jv practice squad. i personally think shanny held young back out of respect for some of montana's records.

Has any team ever fired a new coach before it even got to training camp?

No, but there is yet another interesting case with George Allen.

He had a success record with the Bears and Redskins, but he had 3 stints with the Rams. First as an assistant coach, then returned to them after 1965 as a HC, but after a feud with Halas. But was fired from the Rams after 2 seasons where he landed with the Redskins afterward and won a SB with them. He was then fired after the 1977 season. After that, the Rams re-hired him for the 1978 season, but was fired after the 2nd pre-season game that year.

The longer this goes on, the more I find myself siding with McDaniels. I think Cutler is just making much ado about nothing in order to try to get paid now instead of when his rookie contract expires. Has McDaniels made some mistakes here? Sure. But nothing that should cause an irreparable rift in a professional relationship. They (Cutler and his agent) are takign advantage of this circus. The more I hear Cutler cry like a little girl about this, the less I want him on my team and the more I sympathize with the rookie HC.

The longer this goes on, the more I find myself siding with McDaniels. I think Cutler is just making much ado about nothing in order to try to get paid now instead of when his rookie contract expires. Has McDaniels made some mistakes here? Sure. But nothing that should cause an irreparable rift in a professional relationship. They (Cutler and his agent) are takign advantage of this circus. The more I hear Cutler cry like a little girl about this, the less I want him on my team and the more I sympathize with the rookie HC.

It's all about trust & egos. QBs can have sensitive egos, no question - and Cutler certainly has growing up to do. HCs also tend to have enormous egos - and McDaniels has definitely strutted his so far. It has happened before in DEN where 2 egos clashed, but Reeves managed to hold Elway under check for a significant period.

But there's the trust issue that McDaniels has screwed up beyond repair. Imagine if you were working for a boss who you thought was undermining you and who you considered unscrupulous. Most people in that situation tend to be very unhappy in their job, which in turn can cause rifts amongst others at work and a lack of productivity. Now most of us aren't in a position to do much about it - we aren't meaningful enough to the company where we work that we can put up significant resistance, and right now many of us are happy just to have a job. However, Cutler IS important enough and talented enough that what he feel about his boss matters. He has some say, even if he doesn't make the decisions.

Again, McDaniels could have completely diffused the entire situation early on. Instead, he keeps prodding Cutler and widening the rift. He's taken an incredibly heavy handed approach with an extremely talented young QB who has demonstarted quite clearly that he still has some growing up to do. McDaniels should have recognized that early on - it's not like Cutler's immaturity is a secret - but sometimes when you have a player that has the enormous potential that Cutler does you find a way to deal with him appropriately. Instead all McDaniels has done is convince Cutler that he doesn't ever want to play for McDaniels. That's dumb - especially for a HC who doesn't have one game on his resume yet.

It's to the point where we have gotten to the Reeves/Elway state of affairs again - maybe even beyond that. Back then Reeves had coached for a couple of years and Elway had just forced his way onto Denver, so Reeves started out with the upper hand even though he was dealing with a prima dona QB. In this case, this team is essentially Cutler's and McDaniels has no HC credibility yet, but still is forcing his will with an iron hand.

I don't see how these two can function effectively on the same team any longer, meaning Cutler has to go, because Bowlen isn't going to send McDaniels packing. That's a damn shame, because Cutler has demonstrated on the field that he has the capability of being very special. McDaniels has tied his entire future to his handling of Cutler, and apparently running him out of town. And again, the sad part is that after Cutler is gone, if McDaniels ends up being what I think he'll be - which is a piss poor head coach (like others who have moved on from behind Belichek), he'll have collected his money while running the team into the ground and then moving merrily along. And Cutler will be long gone putting up massive numbers for some other team...

Edited by Bronco Billy

And don't forget about Bus Cook's role in this. He's been in Cutler's ear the entire time and is looking to leverage this whole mess into a new contract.

That would normally very easy to deal with - you extend Cutler's deal. That keeps him in the fold longer, pays him more over the course of his career, yet lessens his impact on the cap. Everyone wins. That's NFL GMship 101.

That the chasm is now there between Cutler & McDaniels makes this relatively simple matter almost irrelevant. And I have yet to see any evidence that Cook orchestrated this whole fiasco. If he's using it as leverage now, that also is on McDaniels.

The longer this goes on, the more I find myself siding with McDaniels.

:wacko: Then I guess you're not paying attention.

The more I read about it, the more foolish McDaniels looks.

McDaniels doesn't seem to realize...

(1) ...he has no head-coach credibility yet.

(2) ...why trust is even MORE important in this situation, since (a) McDaniels, as an offensive guy, will be spending a LOT of time with his QB and (b ) Cutler was very happy with his previous HC and OC, especially since the Denver offense was pretty successful.

(3) ...that when you tell your young star QB that one of the specific reasons you came to Denver was to coach him, that means you shouldn't enter into trade negotiations for a different young star QB.

(4) ...that if you enter into trade negotiations with two other teams and other player agents, someone will leak it to the media and it will be an instant national story.

(5) ...that if you add #3 and #4 together, you shouldn't be surprised to find a pissed-off QB and a horrible PR situation.

(6) ...as the "boss," it's incumbent on YOU to fix the situation, whether that means doing whatever you need to do to repair the trust with your QB or shipping him out of town ASAP and getting on with your business.

McDaniels' first priority should have been getting Cutler on his side; instead, he completely misled him initially, then refused to be honest about it later. And some people actually think Cutler should just be okay with that? That he should say, "Umm, der, I'm just a little ol' player, so I gonna just do what da coach says!" Gimme a break. Every one of you would react the exact same way Cutler has. And so would Roethlisberger, Rivers, Manning, etc.

The other point to make here is that some of the blame also lies with Pat Bowlen himself. I don't blame him for firing Shanahan and making the risky decision to bring McDaniels in as his replacement. However, the SECOND McDaniels and Xander floated the idea of trading Cutler and getting Cassel, Bowlen should have spelled out EXACTLY how they needed to handle it. He, moreso than his young new employees, should have foreseen how this situation would play out in the public eye, and he should have made sure Cutler was informed from the get-go. Why? Because he'll be the one holding the big bag of sh*t when this is all over (as BB described earlier):

the sad part is that after Cutler is gone, if McDaniels ends up being what I think he'll be - which is a piss poor head coach (like others who have moved on from behind Belichek), he'll have collected his money while running the team into the ground and then moving merrily along. And Cutler will be long gone putting up massive numbers for some other team...
Edited by Swiss Cheezhead

+1

Let me summarize for those who don't want to read:

To McDaniels, this is a video game.

+2 In this case I think trust needs to be earned before he can dictate to the team what they need to do.

He could save this but he started off badly.They need to sit down and ask each other how this can be fixed, clear the air-start over-

http://blogs.startribune.com/vikingsblog/?

Cutler in Purple? Dilfer not sold on idea

March 17th, 2009 – 12:31 PM by Judd Zulgad Fresh off a red-eye flight, Trent Dilfer was nice enough to call us to talk about the Jay Cutler situation and, in particular, what the disgruntled Broncos quarterback might be able to do if he ended up in Minnesota. Here is what the former NFL quarterback and current ESPN analyst had to say.

Q. What are your thoughts on Cutler in Minnesota?

A. “I would think it would be a sexy acquisition. I definitely think if you’re a Vikings fan and you’re starving for a marquee name at the quarterback position, Cutler is one of those young guns out there that brings great name recognition from the get go. So from a public relations standpoint, it would be a nice move. But I don’t think football wise it would add that much. I believe Jay Cutler is one of the top 12 quarterbacks in the NFL, but I would not put him in the top eight. He has a lot more to prove.

“That being said, when you have a dominant run game as the Vikings do with Adrian Peterson, you are going to have a lot of vertical passing chances throughout the game. That’s obviously his strength. His strength is play set-up off play action and his ability to put the ball down field. So from a schematical standpoint it does add another dimension to the offense that Sage [Rosenfels] or Tarvaris [Jackson] doesn’t necessarily bring from day one. But I don’t know if he’s any better than Sage at moving the ball down the field and playing on the critical downs.”

Q. So you aren’t that sold on Cutler?

A. “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations. I think that Sage, Tarvaris and Jay Cutler are all in the same boat in that sense. None have proven they can do it a high level consistently. I don’t think because Cutler is a marquee name that he brings you anymore quality in those situations. That’s where he’s unproven and why I don’t feel the Broncos are crazy [in how they’ve handled things]. They are not. Cutler is still unproven in some of the situations that end up winning or losing [games for you].”

Q. Are you comfortable with the Vikings having Sage Rosenfels and Tarvaris Jackson battle for the starting spot?

A. “My feeling about the quarterback situation in Minnesota is I think competition is good. I’m one of the few guys who doesn’t have a problem with what they’re doing. Their team is built from the inside out both on the defensive and offensive side. That works. It worked for the Steelers, it worked for the Ravens, it worked for other teams. … I think if the quarterback understands, whoever wins the job, that he has to play critical downs better that is the key. It’s not about first and second down all the time. You have to make sure you’re playing well on third down and capitalize on red-zone opportunities. If the quarterback has that perspective on it, the Vikings are definitely Super Bowl contenders. Now, if the quarterback thinks that this is an opportunity to throw for 3,500 yards and have a 100 quarterback rating and takes the chances that you have to take to get to that spot, then the Vikings are going to be in the same boat they have been the last couple of years.”

Q. Do you feel the way Cutler has handled this situation has hurt him with other teams that might have been interested?

A. “This is not a glamorous answer but it doesn’t matter until the season starts. He has shown some hyper-sensitivity to being wanted and feels like he needs to be the guy and that makes you question if he has the mentality of wanting to earn everything he gets or wants it given to him. But, once again, it doesn’t matter if he goes out and plays at a high level. Then all of that goes away very quickly. He has the ability to erase any negative feelings about this situation by his performance.”

Q. What do you think it would take to get Cutler in trade?

A. “That’s hard because if you’re the Broncos you have to identify, ‘What do the Vikings have that meets our immediate needs and contractually we don’t have to make a huge investment?’ I would say [Chad] Greenway is a comparable football player to Jay Cutler. He’s a young rising star, a good football player but do they have that need? What is his contract status? So many things come into play.”

from Denver McDaniels talks like a lawyer.

And on the first day at Dove Valley without Jay Cutler, the Broncos began talking about their star quarterback in the past tense.

"You knew he was a great competitor," Broncos receiver Eddie Royal said. "You always saw it in his eyes that he wanted to win. He came to practice prepared every day. You knew what you were getting out of Jay."

Royal followed up by saying he didn't mean to imply the Broncos quarterback has already left the building. But Cutler's permanent departure is becoming more likely after he was not in the building at 8 a.m. Monday when Josh McDaniels led his first team meeting as Broncos head coach.

Cutler has formally requested a trade, primarily because he doesn't want to play for a coach who considered a deal that would have made Matt Cassel the Broncos' new quarterback. Cassel instead wound up with Kansas City, and there's a decent chance Cutler won't be the Broncos' quarterback in 2009, either.

On Sunday, a day after Cutler and agent Bus Cook sat down with McDaniels and Broncos general manager Brian Xanders, Cutler asked out. Was McDaniels surprised?

"I don't know if I'm surprised," McDaniels said. "Maybe disappointed that our intentions don't seem to be in agreement. We were intending on trying to communicate and move forward, and I'm not sure that sentiment is shared on the other side." :wacko:

The Broncos are expected to sit tight the next few days in hopes Cutler agrees to speak with McDaniels, minus the filter of his agent. If there is no more communication, however, and Cutler remains steadfast in his demands, don't be surprised if the Broncos open trade talks Sunday when the NFL owners meetings begin in Dana Point, Calif.