[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fishing Boat Missng With 3 NFL Players

Outshined

Seriously, how in the Seven Hells does a thread about a tragedy of this magnitude, where 3 people have almost assuredly lost their lives, become a Sarge induced pissing contest?

I was thinking the same thing.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously, how in the Seven Hells does a thread about a tragedy of this magnitude, where 3 people have almost assuredly lost their lives, become a Sarge induced pissing contest?

Some people apparently simply can not get enough of themselves.

none of us are really surprised, if you couldn't tell

If they all stood on each others shoulders maybe they could reach the bottom and lift the boat up.

How deep is the water out there ? organizing this would seem very diificult

Only several hundred feet.

No it's less. Look at this

The Gulf of Mexico basin resembles a large pit with a broad shallow rim. Approximately 38% of the Gulf is comprised by shallow and intertidal areas (< 20 m deep). The area of the continental shelf (< 180 m) and continental slope (180 - 3,000 m) represent 22% and 20% respectively, and abyssal areas deeper than 3,000 m comprise the final 20% (Gore, 1992). The Sigsbee Deep, located in the southwestern quadrant, is the deepest region of the Gulf of Mexico. Its exact maximum depth is controversial, and reports by different authors state maximum depths ranging from 3,750 m to 4,384 m. Mean (average) water depth of the Gulf is ~1,615 m (Turner, 1999) and the basin contains a volume of 2,434,000 cubic kilometers of water (6.43 * 1017 or 643 quadrillion gallons).

I never made this about me, I merely commented on how pathetic he is for telling us what his wife has to say in every other non football related story here. She should just get her own handle and post herself.

Then here come the nutsacks to the rescue.

My post had nothing to do with me, at all. Apparently you cant read or understand what was written. Either way, Im done with the subject here.

Why dont they just lay on top of the water and push it over?

Someone said it was still anchored. But I thought I read it capsized when they were pulling up the anchor. Still alot of info left to learn

Tragic accident that seems like it could have been avoided. But once the boat capsized, It looks like the options were bleak at that point.

Regardless, I don't see the standing on the shoulders routine working.

Naah it was a joke. It's probably about 60 feet. It was in response to those that said the boat could be righted. Maybe a narrower boat could but you can't get leverage in the water. I'm certain they tried.

The reason they go out that far is many deep sea fish aren't closer to shore.

Edited by Randall

Naah it was a joke.

I figured.

Their only chance of survival was to climb on the hull and hang on. You read about these people trying to swim for shore in lakes all the time. But panic and hypothermia will make you do crazy things. I really hope they find the bodies so their families can move on.

I figured.

Their only chance of survival was to climb on the hull and hang on. You read about these people trying to swim for shore in lakes all the time. But panic and hypothermia will make you do crazy things. I really hope they find the bodies so their families can move on.

Yeah good point. Too bad the boat didn't incorporate some kind of handles into the hull. Something recessed woudn't affect aerodynamics.

If they too off the life vests or if they slipped off they may never be found. Some family members wanted to keep searching.

Man if that is true that's crazy. I value my life more than to do that, I would hang onto that boat until my arms fell off.

That was my first thought as well. However, the more I think about it, the more I think it's unfair for us to pass judgement on what happened, their decision-making, etc. The one thing we CAN safely say is that it obviously wasn't the best decision to take a boat that small out that far, considering the pending weather conditions. Other than that, there are too many unknowns... we don't know what they went through, whether any of them were injured by the boat capsizing, whether they were even conscious when they "drifted away", whether they did indeed choose to take off their life vests, etc. It's hard to believe that anybody would make a conscious decision to "give up", but then again, I never thought I'd see the day when people were literally jumping out of windows at the World Trade Center, either. Those images have been burned into my mind and haunt me to this day. Likewise, the thought of three young men deciding to give up and basically drown haunts me right now, and will for quite some time.... But, like I said, I think there are far too many unknowns to assume what they were thinking, what they were going through, etc. Remember, this information is all coming from a guy who was going through the same thing they were... he was more than likely somewhat delusional himself. Did he really see them take off their vests? Maybe it's possible that not everybody was able to get their vests on securely in the first place... Who knows?

The other thing we have to keep in mind is that this all happened in the middle of what was a pretty good storm. In other words, it was probably very difficult/impossible for them to communicate (talk) to one another. By the time the weather had passed, who knows if any of them were still thinking with a 100% right mind. As far as the four of them being able to flip the boat, I am guessing that was probably the first thing that they tried. Boats of that kind aren't exactly heavy, but they're not exactly light, either. Have you ever tried to hold/lift something fairly heavy while treading water? It's not easy, next to impossible. I think it would be hard enough to pick the boat up and flip it over if you're standing on solid ground... trying to do so when you're in the middle of the ocean just isn't going to happen. The only thing that's going to turn that boat back over is the ocean itself.

Regardless, it's a tragic situation... Far too often, nature reminds us that it's not something to be taken lightly. Far too often, people perish while doing what are basically leisure activities, simply because they're unqualified and/or unprepared. I'm reminded of the UFC fighter, Evan Tanner, who passed away last fall while camping in the desert by himself. You couldn't find a tougher guy, physically, if you wanted to, but in those circumstances, nobody is invincible. Same situation here... a group of young, in-shape athletes who most definitely underestimated how brutally dangerous the elements can be. I just wish their mistake didn't have to be so costly, apparently. I'm guessing the thought that their lives might be at stake never crossed their minds when they left that morning. :D

One last thought... the wife who was interviewed the other night appeared to me to be in either shock or denial. I don't think it necessarily was that she wasn't upset by the fact that her husband was missing. I think she was just at the stage where she assumed they would be found (and OK) sooner or later. I'm guessing that if we saw her today, it would be quite a different story. Just my :wacko: Anyway, my thoughts go out to the families of these men. RIP.

You're new here, aren't you?

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but does anyone think it's possible there was some foul play at work? I mean one guy survives and the others supposedly just took off their life jackets and swam away, and fairly early on at that? Just seems sort of strange. But I get the "not thinking clearly" thing too.

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but does anyone think it's possible there was some foul play at work? I mean one guy survives and the others supposedly just took off their life jackets and swam away, and fairly early on at that? Just seems sort of strange. But I get the "not thinking clearly" thing too.

Sure it's possible, but I'm not finding it (the "not thinking clearly" part) too difficult to believe. Without delving too far into pop psychology, football players I have known can be intellectually soft, despite their tough exteriors. Many times, these guys no littel responsibility for their lives and have things handed to them.

I find it interesting that the guy who wasn't able to make it into the NFL (who had the early in life reality check) was internally strong enough to decide to die with the boat, while the others - for whatever reason - were not. Truly sad.

Edited by Pope Flick

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but does anyone think it's possible there was some foul play at work?

I asked a few friends this same question yesterday. Allot of things don't seem to add up in the stories that have come out. Hopefully it's not the case but you never know.

Sure it's possible, but I'm not finding it (the "not thinking clearly" part) too difficult to believe. Without delving too far into pop psychology, football players I have known can be intellectually soft, despite their tough exteriors. Many times, these guys no littel responsibility for their lives and have things handed to them.

I find it interesting that the guy who wasn't able to make it into the NFL (who had the early in life reality check) was internally strong enough to decide to die with the boat, while the others - for whatever reason - were not. Truly sad.

foul play? these guys were all tight tight buddies -

complete nonsense -

let's take this for what it is- a tragedy that unfortunately happens all too often. intellectually soft? Khloe, Kim and Kourtney Kardashian are you talking about? Cooper is from a first class family here in Phoenix and was an undersized LB that worked his ass off to get the NFL

and maybe if you read the actual story you would see that Schuyler was a top notch trainer and a physical freak- (early in life reality check where do you get this chit????)and was able to keep his head and was able to survive -has nothing to do with NFL vs non NFL - gdamn you guys like to reach and pull chit out of yer ass

extreme conditions make people panic and do the wrong things.period.

foul play? these guys were all tight tight buddies -

complete nonsense -

let's take this for what it is- a tragedy that unfortunately happens all too often. intellectually soft? Khloe, Kim and Kourtney Kardashian are you talking about? Cooper is from a first class family here in Phoenix and was an undersized LB that worked his ass off to get the NFL

and maybe if you read the actual story you would see that Schuyler was a top notch trainer and a physical freak- (early in life reality check where do you get this chit????)and was able to keep his head and was able to survive -has nothing to do with NFL vs non NFL - gdamn you guys like to reach and pull chit out of yer ass

extreme conditions make people panic and do the wrong things.period.

This bolded part is the only part of your post that is 100% spot on. Everything else is guesswork on both yours and mine parts.

Eerly in life reality check: most footballers believe they'll make the NFL, when in fact a small % does. The guy who got bounced early survived. My point is this: his survival had less to do with his physical strength and more to do with his mental strength. If what he said is true: that one of the guys gave up after 4-6 hours, that guy didn't have the mental fortitude. I doubt he got tired, given that someone else held on for 24+ hours.