[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NCAA Tournament

Vinatieri Is God

OK... Enough Henderson talk. Back to the tournament... Is anybody else as glad as I am that Billy Packer is nowhere to be found this year? Clark Kellogg is a major upgrade over Packer, IMO. I also really enjoy the majority of CBS' analysts overall, especially former Wolves' color guy Kevin Harland, and maybe the most enthusiastic of the bunch, Gus Johnson. Not a bad group of announcers, overall. The one guy who does get on my nerves once in a while is Seth Davis, especially when he tries to correct Greg Anthony in a somewhat condescending manner... Just because GA just joined the group doesn't mean Davis knows any more about hoops than he does. :wacko:

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dick Enberg, may God rest his soul......

Wait you mean he's not dead? He is awful now. He actually said during the Siena opening round game (I'm paraphrasing), "Siena looking to do what George Mason did a few years back coming out of the same conference".

:D

Forgot about him... He's on the verge of being at the same stage in his career that Pat Summerall was a few years ago. Went from being an iconic legend to somewhat of an embarassment, all in a matter of a season or two. Started saying things like "It's 4th and 2 yards to go" when it was 2nd and 8. :D

Enberg is one of my all-time favorites, probably just because he's done so many different events, in different sports, over the years. His partner, Bilas, actually can be somewhat annoying (although he's obviously very knowledgable) at times... Davis, Bilas, I don't know... maybe it's just a Duke thing to act somewhat condescending like that. :wacko:

Dude... while I'm not comparing the two but for this one particular, Dwayne Wade was a pretty weak jump-shooter in college and still is not an elite jump-shooting SG. And uh... :wacko:

Trust me, I am as anti-Dook as the next guy, but I must admit Henderson has improved and could be a viable 2-guard in the NBA in a few years. Will he be D-Wade... well yeah, I'd bet not... but whatever.

sure, he COULD turn out great- I agree, alot of guys turn into solid shooters, but alot of them don't

I mean, you are using one of the top 3 players in the NBA as an example..... for every DWade there are guys who flamed out and couldn't make the leap - DWade is a freak-

Henderson's ceiling is not DWade - nothing about his game is like Wade's other than he gets to the rack nicely.

Forgot about him... He's on the verge of being at the same stage in his career that Pat Summerall was a few years ago. Went from being an iconic legend to somewhat of an embarassment, all in a matter of a season or two. Started saying things like "It's 4th and 2 yards to go" when it was 2nd and 8. :D

Enberg is one of my all-time favorites, probably just because he's done so many different events, in different sports, over the years. His partner, Bilas, actually can be somewhat annoying (although he's obviously very knowledgable) at times... Davis, Bilas, I don't know... maybe it's just a Duke thing to act somewhat condescending like that. :wacko:

He was good back with Merlin Olson doing football games, you're right. He should get out before he embarasses himself further. I think Bilas is on restriction to not correct him, either.

sure, he COULD turn out great- I agree, alot of guys turn into solid shooters, but alot of them don't

I mean, you are using one of the top 3 players in the NBA as an example..... for every DWade there are guys who flamed out and couldn't make the leap - DWade is a freak-

Henderson's ceiling is not DWade - nothing about his game is like Wade's other than he gets to the rack nicely.

:wacko: Way to read every other word of my post...

Your point = SGs that can't shoot have no place in the NBA

My point = Generally speaking, that's correct. However, there are exceptions; Dwayne Wade being the absolute apex of this anomaly.

Is that easier to understand?

:wacko: Way to read every other word of my post...

Your point = SGs that can't shoot have no place in the NBA

My point = Generally speaking, that's correct. However, there are exceptions; Dwayne Wade being the absolute apex of this anomaly.

Is that easier to understand?

done with Hendo-talk.... I never said they have no place, :D cmon - my original point D was simply that I wasn't necessarily sold on him being a top 10 pick since his shooting is so suspect, but that everything I have seen has him in that range-

is that easier to understand?

the fact is there are more 6'5 athletic 2's with suspect jumpers that don't pan out than there are guys who turn into studs - but I appreciate the DWade exception

I really don't know how this thread all of a sudden has D Wade's name thrown in, chit we might as well include Jordan, another 2 that couldn't shoot until later in his career...........

back to the tourney -

done with Hendo-talk.... I never said they have no place, :wacko: cmon - my original point D was simply that I wasn't necessarily sold on him being a top 10 pick since his shooting is so suspect, but that everything I have seen has him in that range-

is that easier to understand?

the fact is there are more 6'5 athletic 2's with suspect jumpers that don't pan out than there are guys who turn into studs - but I appreciate the DWade exception

I really don't know how this thread all of a sudden has D Wade's name thrown in, chit we might as well include Jordan, another 2 that couldn't shoot until later in his career...........

back to the tourney -

Wow, I guess I started something with my Henderson question. Thanks for all of the answers & sorry if I hijacked the thread.

BTW my final four was & still is Louisville, Memphis, Pitt & UNC with Louisville over UNC.

Hey it's all good, we have a couple days to dissect other college hoops issues... especially those that involve someone that's still playing. I agree that Henderson's probably a risky prospect as a top-10 talent. Cuz he's not. Will he be a nice little role player in a few years? I would bet yes on that.

I hope Pitt takes the championship. They're gritty and have a ton of offensive options. Just good basketball, and I'm a Jamie Dixon fan.

Hey it's all good, we have a couple days to dissect other college hoops issues... especially those that involve someone that's still playing. I agree that Henderson's probably a risky prospect as a top-10 talent. Cuz he's not. Will he be a nice little role player in a few years? I would bet yes on that.

I hope Pitt takes the championship. They're gritty and have a ton of offensive options. Just good basketball, and I'm a Jamie Dixon fan.

I have Pitt cutting down the nets myself

rumors floating around Zona that Dixon may be at the top of UA's short list, I would love to land him personally

Bump.....I'm not talking that many match sticks.....:D

8.5, in the sweet sixteen, against a top 10 opponent, strikes me as a lot.

ETA: We UNC fans are arrogant, but we're not that arrogant. :wacko:

Edited by billay

I have always respected the coaching of Dixon and now after watching the HBO special, last night, of his sisters death 2 1/2 years ago I like the guy even more. He's a class act. I took Pitt in all 4 of my brackets. Go Panthers!

Not trying to burst any bubbles, but if Xavier doesn't beat them, Villanova will.

8.5, in the sweet sixteen, against a top 10 opponent, strikes me as a lot.

ETA: We UNC fans are arrogant, but we're not that arrogant. :wacko:

That's kinda how I saw it.

Well, that and the fact that I hate laying points when my team is playing. Taking points when they're the underdog is one thing because it's a consolation prize for them playing closer than they were supposed to. However, at this point, it's all about survive and advance. I don't give two poops about how much they win by, as long as they're playing on Sunday.

Not trying to burst any bubbles, but if Xavier doesn't beat them, Villanova will.

Xavier has no chance of winning this game. None...write it down. Nova is a different story, but you act like this is not a tested and experienced team. They can beat anyone left in this tourney. Do not sell them short based on previous years or the first two games. Any team that can beat Uconn twice can beat Nova at a neutural site.

Xavier has no chance of winning this game. None...write it down. Nova is a different story, but you act like this is not a tested and experienced team. They can beat anyone left in this tourney. Do not sell them short based on previous years or the first two games. Any team that can beat Uconn twice can beat Nova at a neutural site.

+1 :wacko:

:wacko: Nova beat them by 10 - granted at home - in their only meeting this year. And Nova is looking strong, too. But yeah I agree that Pitt should take this one... but I won't be shocked if Nova sneaks past, either.

Pitt plays Xavier in this round... They would face Nova in the next round, and I think Pitt will beat Xavier tonight. They have a decided advantage at the point (Xavier really runs without a true PG in their starting lineup), and a better big man in Blair, not to mention Sam Young on the wing.

Pitt plays Xavier in this round... They would face Nova in the next round, and I think Pitt will beat Xavier tonight. They have a decided advantage at the point (Xavier really runs without a true PG in their starting lineup), and a better big man in Blair, not to mention Sam Young on the wing.

Right, I was just referring to the likely/eventual Pitt/Nova matchup that caddyman was speaking of...

Xavier is one of those "fringe" teams that always seems to be there come March, but Pitt's on a mission and just has too much experience and weaponry.

PITT will dominate Xavier and beat them pretty easily - Pitt's at their best is still to come........

UCONN over Purdue in a boat race - Boilers just will not be able to hang for long

Memphis over Mizzou in a close one

NOVA over Dook - way too balanced and athletic

PITT will dominate Xavier and beat them pretty easily - Pitt's at their best is still to come........

UCONN over Purdue in a boat race - Boilers just will not be able to hang for long

Memphis over Mizzou in a close one

NOVA over Dook - way too balanced and athletic

I'm with you for the most part, although I took Missouri. Here is what I have for a teaser on tonight's games:

Missouri +9.5

Connecticut -1.5

Villanova +7.5

Pittsburgh -2

Wow. I like throwing stuff out there for consumption sure, but I really don't see how anyone can get behind Pitt at this point to the degree people seem to be here. They were not impressive in either of their first two games. The least impressive of the #1's for sure and the one I anticipate exiting first.

That's just me though.