[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NCAA Tournament

Vinatieri Is God

Potential buzzer-beater situation or OT in Boise for the Mizzou/Marquette game.

Edit: Or not! Wow, what a hugh mistake by the Marquette kid. Game likely over.

I actually called that violation on a guy during an intramural game and he was like "are your kidding?". I say "uh, no". :wacko:

Edited by darin3

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mizzou wins, they are gonna take it to Memphis next week.

That's gonna be a frickin' ridiculous game. Both teams can get up and down, all five on each side. :wacko:

And look at little Siena hanging with Louisville. Still think the Cards can hold them off, though.

Potential buzzer-beater situation or OT in Boise for the Mizzou/Marquette game.

So how long until teams routinely start faking injuries at the end of the game to get their best free throw shooter in? I figured there would be some kind of stipulation on that for end of games. :wacko:

Yes, LSU would handle Maryland or A&M.

Pomeroy has LSU, A&M, and Maryland at 43, 49, and 55 respectively. Pretty darn close.

So how long until teams routinely start faking injuries at the end of the game to get their best free throw shooter in? I figured there would be some kind of stipulation on that for end of games. :wacko:

I heard the boos from the crowd but didn't see the "fake injury". Was it blatantly obvious?

I think the rule in the NBA in this situation is that the opposing coach gets to pick the player taking the "replacement" free throws. That would curb the faking.

Mizzou wins, they are gonna take it to Memphis next week.

Well I got Memphis advancing in 100% of my brackets. :wacko:

I just looked at the Vegas Odds for next weekend. I hope that they are 100% correct.

Duke by 2.5

Pit by 8

Memphis by 6

UConn by 7

Lou by 9

NC by 9

OK by 1

MIST by 1

Edited by MikesVikes

Well I got Memphis advancing in 100% of my brackets. :wacko:

I just looked at the Vegas Odds for next weekend. I hope that they are 100% correct.

Duke by 2.5

Pit by 8

Memphis by 6

UConn by 7

Lou by 9

NC by 9

OK by 1

MIST by 1

That would be all 1-2 teams advancing to the elite eight. Has that ever happened before? I have 7 of them but missed Mich St as I went with West Virginia.

That would be all 1-2 teams advancing to the elite eight. Has that ever happened before? I have 7 of them but missed Mich St as I went with West Virginia.

Probably not. This is the first time that all 1's, 2's and 3's advanced to the sweet sixteen.

Pomeroy has LSU, A&M, and Maryland at 43, 49, and 55 respectively. Pretty darn close.

Whatever, we could go around on this but the AP and Coaches polls that came out after conference tourneys had LSU at 21 and 20 while Maryland wasn't even listed in also receiving votes and A&M was not listed on one and was effectively #38 on another. Again, whatever, but all I was hearing from the media leading up to and during the game was that LSU should have been higher than #8. This, mind you, was not talk from the UNC camp (which you'd expect) but from the media at large.

It should also be noted that they were anchored by a prolific guard which is exactly the type of team that gives UNC fits. Their 4 losses all came at the hands of teams with a guard who can take over the game. So, the match-up was not a favorable one for UNC either.

None the less, here's how the game actually happened, since you admit to not having seen it. They played close for most of the 1st half while Lawson was subbing in and out and certainly not on his game but UNC none the less pulled away to close out the half and go up by 9. Then, for about 3 minutes at the beginning of the second, LSU could do absolutely nothing wrong. I don't know what their coach told them, but dudes were flying all over the floor and knocking down everything. Their center had 3 of his 4 blocks for the game during that stretch. A 9 pt lead was erased. Then, UNC started making theirs, but LSU still could not miss at all, still knocking down everything including hitting 3 pointers from 4-5 ft beyond the arc barely getting their feet set (admittedly, they also hit some more open looks as well). Everything was breaking their way. One series UNC blocked two shots, in the melee that followed the 2nd, the ball found it's way to a guy at the arc and he nailed the 3.

Eventually, LSU started missing those 30 footers and lo and behold, UNC completely dominated from that point on, going on an 11 pt run and ultimately out-scoring them 21-7 over the final 8 minutes. You can't fault a team for having trouble putting someone away who can't miss, even from the NBA arc. To be honest, I would have rather won this way than leading wire to wire. Last year UNC peed all over everyone right up to the Final Four and we all saw how that worked out.

UNC's last two seasons were ended when they couldn't answer runs from teams. Lawson and Ellington, in particular were the biggest goats of last year's loss to Kansas. So, it was nice to see UNC get hit in the mouth and then say, "You're going to need to do better than that." and put a team away on the backs of the two guys who have take the most heat over the years for being soft. That said, I don't savor the notion of UNC having to play red-hot Syracuse (who I think will get past OU) with Lawson only getting one day to rest his foot. Dude was laboring big time on Saturday and I highly doubt he could have turned around and played today.

As far as going forward, this could be a great one as only one team outside the top 5 seeds remains. That means, someone is going to have to win 4 straight against teams they're either no better or barely better than. It could really be anyone.

Now that we've quartered off the teams, here's how I think things will play out...

Louisville has the easiest path to the Final Four. While I was actually somewhat impressed with Arizona yesterday, I had to remind myself that they were just taking on an upstart Cleveland State team. If Louisville gets by the Cats, either the Jayhawks or Spartans will likely get run off the floor by Louisville. Louisville makes it to the Final Four.

UConn should get by Purdue, and will then have a real tough draw against either Memphis or Mizzou. Both of those teams get up and down, can defend, and are pretty deep as I recall. I think Memphis sneaks by Mizzou - in one of the best games of the tourney - and then outlasts UConn. Tigers to the Final Four.

Xavier has been one of those somewhat-under-the-radar-not-quite-mid-major teams that is always there come March. That said, I don't really know much about this team, but from what I've seen from Pitt this year, the Panthers will likely make it to the Elite 8. And whether it be the Dookies or Villanova, I think Pitt just has too much balance not to make it. Pitt to the Final Four, likely taking on the Blue Devils to get there.

And finally, I think UNC takes care of the Zags and then has enough inside to handle the Griffins of Oklahoma. Tarheels to the Final Four.

Pitt outmuscles the Heels (despite them handling Griffin in the previous game). Louisville outruns Memphis. Pitt finds a way to slow the Cards down to cut the nets down.

:wacko: March Madness!!!

I picked Memphis to beat Mizzou but with hindsight, I think that was a mistake. Memphis IS overrated and Mizzou will expose them.

This is a homer talking, but UCONN may be the most overlooked #1 seed ever. You can practice against a kid on a ladder but you can't realize just how intimidating Thabeet is until you have to face him. He changes the game just by being on the floor. Purdue has a chance to beat them as does Mizzou if they shoot lights out from beyond the arc AND play stellar defense. UCONN has decent but not spectacular perimiter defenders so it is quite possible that it happens. However, I wouldn't make bank on UCONN not being on the final four.

None the less, here's how the game actually happened, since you admit to not having seen it.

:wacko: Thanks for the summary (in all sincerity). My intent on bringing this up was not to slight NC or take anything away from LSU. KC insinuated that UCONN and NC were playing head and shoulders above everyone while Memphis and Pittsburgh were squeaking wins out. UCONN definitely seems to be on a roll. Memphis had a scare in the first round but apparently dominated Maryland. And PItt definitely looks like they are having trouble putting anyone away up until this point.

Regardless, it doesn't really matter at this point. Primarily, I'm hoping for the Zags to be competitive and see what happens from there.

I can't wait until Thursday, or is it Friday?

:wacko: Thanks for the summary (in all sincerity). My intent on bringing this up was not to slight NC or take anything away from LSU. KC insinuated that UCONN and NC were playing head and shoulders above everyone while Memphis and Pittsburgh were squeaking wins out. UCONN definitely seems to be on a roll. Memphis had a scare in the first round but apparently dominated Maryland. And PItt definitely looks like they are having trouble putting anyone away up until this point.

Regardless, it doesn't really matter at this point. Primarily, I'm hoping for the Zags to be competitive and see what happens from there.

:D Actually, I'm guessing Cid's motivation behind giving props to NC was not to jinx himself with regards to his and my bet on who gets further. He couldn't say UConn looks good without saying NC did as well.

It's Friday at approximately 10:00pm. Why is it that UNC is the only top seed that has to play in the late game? That's BS.

:wacko: Actually, I'm guessing Cid's motivation behind giving props to NC was not to jinx himself with regards to his and my bet on who gets further. He couldn't say UConn looks good without saying NC did as well.

Damn it, stop giving away my secrets! :D

It's Friday at approximately 10:00pm. Why is it that UNC is the only top seed that has to play in the late game? That's BS.

Because they didn't want poor cukfers like me who own restaurants that don't televise the games to get hosed two weekend nights in a row. Between UNC at 5:45 and Duke at 8:30, Saturday was f'ing brutal at the restaurant. Thank god somebody doesn't care about hoops or it would have been worse.

Now that we've quartered off the teams, here's how I think things will play out...

Louisville has the easiest path to the Final Four. While I was actually somewhat impressed with Arizona yesterday, I had to remind myself that they were just taking on an upstart Cleveland State team. If Louisville gets by the Cats, either the Jayhawks or Spartans will likely get run off the floor by Louisville. Louisville makes it to the Final Four.

UConn should get by Purdue, and will then have a real tough draw against either Memphis or Mizzou. Both of those teams get up and down, can defend, and are pretty deep as I recall. I think Memphis sneaks by Mizzou - in one of the best games of the tourney - and then outlasts UConn. Tigers to the Final Four.

Xavier has been one of those somewhat-under-the-radar-not-quite-mid-major teams that is always there come March. That said, I don't really know much about this team, but from what I've seen from Pitt this year, the Panthers will likely make it to the Elite 8. And whether it be the Dookies or Villanova, I think Pitt just has too much balance not to make it. Pitt to the Final Four, likely taking on the Blue Devils to get there.

And finally, I think UNC takes care of the Zags and then has enough inside to handle the Griffins of Oklahoma. Tarheels to the Final Four.

Pitt outmuscles the Heels (despite them handling Griffin in the previous game). Louisville outruns Memphis. Pitt finds a way to slow the Cards down to cut the nets down.

:D March Madness!!!

ummm, wouldn't that be all #1,2 seeds advancing to the elite 8, has that ever happened before? :wacko:

I think there may be an upset or 2 along the way here - I think Lou can be vulnerable and are very capable of laying an egg - I think Kansas has the best shot in that region

I really like UConn to dispose of Memphis or Mizzou without much trouble

Pitt seems tight - I picked them for the NC, however it wouldn't surprise me if Nova beats them

UNC is my wildcard- I am saying it now- they will go down to either Gonzaga or Oklahoma this weekend

Edited by wildcat2334

Riiiight, because we all know that a victory is a forgone conclusion when you play close to home. [cough}Huskies[/cough]

I would wager that there is a great deal of difference between playing a game in Portland, Oregon than there is in playing a game 50 miles from campus in the same media market. :wacko: