[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Where do you Draw the line

MikesVikes

Of course according to Gordon Gekko, greed is good. But seriously, where do you draw the line between being successful and greedy?

Local banks advertise that they don't lend to greedy businesses, just ones that use sound business judgements. If a guy is operating a business for a profit, is he being greedy or is that the sound business judgement guy?

Many kids want to be rich when they grow up, but now those rich dudes have a hugh target on their backside. Do kids still want to be that rich guy? Or what should kids want to be when they grow up?

Edited by MikesVikes

greed, when applied in an ethical manner, is good.

personally, i'm greedy as hell when it comes to gathering riches to provide for my family, but i refuse to satisfy that greed unethically. if we could all share that sentiment, then the good of capitalism would shine through.

Of course according to Gordon Gekko, greed is good. But seriously, where do you draw the line between being successful and greedy?

Local banks advertise that they don't lend to greedy businesses, just ones that use sound business judgements. If a guy is operating a business for a profit, is he being greedy or is that the sound business judgement guy?

Many kids want to be rich when they grow up, but now those rich dudes have a hugh target on their backside. Do kids still want to be that rich guy? Or what should kids want to be when they grow up?

I think you are confusing greed and success. You can be successful, and not greedy. It just depends on what you do with your success.

Please define greed.

That's the question isn't it. This local bank advertises on the airwaves that they don't loan money to greedy businesses. The last time I checked no business in our area has been given a government handout and/or has given hugh bonuses out. So which of those local businesses would you assume that this bank doesn't want to loan money to? Ones that are making too much money?

Am I the only one that thinks the lines between greed and good have recently changed?

I think you are confusing greed and success. You can be successful, and not greedy. It just depends on what you do with your success.

+1.

Greed is very difficult to define but one definition that might be appropriate right now is focusing on immediate gain disregarding all others and the future.

That's the question isn't it. This local bank advertises on the airwaves that they don't loan money to greedy businesses. The last time I checked no business in our area has been given a government handout and/or has given hugh bonuses out. So which of those local businesses would you assume that this bank doesn't want to loan money to? Ones that are making too much money?

Am I the only one that thinks the lines between greed and good have recently changed?

I think you are overthinking this.

Your bank is trying to appeal to a populist sentiment and are in no way, shape, or form changing their banking practices. Oh wait. They are. They are going to jack up interest rates on all credit cards of those that are in debt, and have no way to immediately pay them off, and close accounts and credit cards to all the people they deem to be a risk.

So in fact they are going to seriously harm those very people who they are trying to appeal to with their populist appeal.

Lastly, i really love when large corporations really try to ride these populist waves, even when they are in diametrical opposition to that that they are trying to appeal to. Kind of like the oil companies, and car companies trying to show how green they are.