[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cutler to the Bears

keggerz

Cutler is going from a team that relied on him to throw 90 times a game because they had bad D and he had great weapons to throw to. Now he is going to a team that IMO never really focuses on the QB. Chi wins win D and the run . Can Cutler, who we now know is a little fragile in the psyche, handle the step backwards he is going to take as the qb of the Bears ? By step backwards I mean while the hype will surely be there I still see Chi doing things the way they always have . Focus on D and run. If they bring in a good wr maybe things change. Chi is usually where a qb's stats go to die

you could be spot on, but i could care less. if him coming means other defenses not putting 8 guys in the box to stop the run, good! if it means forte not running the ball 100x a game, good! if it means a decent receiver wanting to come to chicago, good! if it means the defense wont be on the field for 42min/game, good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me, it's more about my favorite team actually going out and doing something.

The Bears tend to F up most of their 1st round picks, so it's no sweat that they sent two of them to Denver.

Finally, something to say positive about the Bears front office. Well done. :wacko:

This sums it up for me, too.

Frack the first round picks. Jerry Angelo usually tanks on them anyway.

I know a few fellow Bears fans who think they gave up too much for Cutler, but I disagree. Two first rounders and a third rounder is a fair price for a qb of Cutler's caliber. The talking heads on ESPN News forgot to mention that Chicago still has a third-round pick in the upcoming draft. It's a compensatory pick.

I'm still very surprised. Making a big move like this is so out of character for the Bears.

There is a Bears presser scheduled for 6pm EST Friday.

Earl Bennett, your table is waiting.

Finally!! Somebody else that has high hopes for him.

cutler's teammate at vandy. chris williams, too. signing someone like holt would be a pretty good move for them...but their highest priority if they want to get the most out of cutler should really be bolstering the o-line. pace is good if he has anything left. lots to be excited about in chicagoland.

Finally!! Somebody else that has high hopes for him.

I think he could surprise if he gets a chance to play.

The word is Bennett couldn't get on the field because he had trouble picking up the offense. The Bears also tried to strike gold with Brandon Lloyd and an aging Marty Booker. :wacko: Nothing like redshirting your third round pick. :D

They have got to get Bennett out there to see if he can play. Maybe having his former Vanderbilt teammate Cutler around will help Bennett out.

Edited by Wolverines Fan

pencil Chicago in for NFC North crown now...

Welcome to the AFC West cellar, Denver. We didn't expect ya... but pull up a box and take a load off, theres room for 3 of us here.

:D .............. :wacko: .................. :D .................... :D .......................... :D

Somehow Al Davis is masterminding this destruction of the Broncos, I just know it.

That's because the players worth more are ever traded.

What would Favre or Montana be worth in their prime?

I don't value next years 1st round picks nearly as much as this years picks. I may even want a 2nd this year more than next year's 1.

I think Chicago got a good deal. If Denver can get Sanchez they will be OK.

!st it is a little early in Cutlers career to invoke names like Montana & Favre when discussing Cutlers worth but if I were an owner I would not trade my starting QB AND 2 1sts and a 3rd for either Favre or Montana UNLESS QB was my absolute last need to make a SB run.

And at that I would not give more than what the Bears gave.

Edited by Jrick35

Are you Bears fans that are saying Orton will be good the same ones that have been bashing him when he was a Bear? :D Too funny.

This sucks balls as a Vikes fan. :D

The Bears are now a legitimate playoff team while Minnesota wastes away all the talent they have on their football team dicking around with a disaster at the QB position. Can someone in Minnesota kick Childress in the nuts if they see him. It's becoming harder and harder to be a Vikes fan. :wacko:

Cutler is going from a team that relied on him to throw 90 times a game because they had bad D and he had great weapons to throw to. Now he is going to a team that IMO never really focuses on the QB. Chi wins win D and the run . Can Cutler, who we now know is a little fragile in the psyche, handle the step backwards he is going to take as the qb of the Bears ? By step backwards I mean while the hype will surely be there I still see Chi doing things the way they always have . Focus on D and run. If they bring in a good wr maybe things change. Chi is usually where a qb's stats go to die

Uh, the Bears relied on the run because their QB's have sucked balls for decades, they didn't have a choice. Things are going to change in Chicago now, you'll see.

I'm not thrilled to lose Cutler, but at least this trade could help build the foundation for a solid defense for the Broncos.

What makes you think McDaniels knows anything about coaching up a D? He's converting to a D where he doesn't have one single player on roster who is proven capable of starting on the new-look line - and only a couple who remotely fit the physical description/capabilities of 3-4 D linemen, he's going to forces his light/small DEs into the LB position where players much more talented that Moss & Dumerville traditionally have difficulty converting, he overspends seriously for a 35 yr old SS as his plum of the D FA class, and all of his front 7 FA D acquisitions were players who didn't even threaten to crack the starting lineup for their former teams, except for LB Davis.

He's shown us almost nothing so far to make anyone think that he has any expertise on that side of the ball. Now we're expecting him to burn up first rounders on D players? Great...

What makes you think McDaniels knows anything about coaching up a D? He's converting to a D where he doesn't have one single player on roster who is proven capable of starting on the new-look line - and only a couple who remotely fit the physical description/capabilities of 3-4 D linemen, he's going to forces his light/small DEs into the LB position where players much more talented that Moss & Dumerville traditionally have difficulty converting, he overspends seriously for a 35 yr old SS as his plum of the D FA class, and all of his front 7 FA D acquisitions were players who didn't even threaten to crack the starting lineup for their former teams, except for LB Davis.

He's shown us almost nothing so far to make anyone think that he has any expertise on that side of the ball. Now we're expecting him to burn up first rounders on D players? Great...

I'm a huge Shanahan fan, but even the most dedicated fans knew that Shanahan was absolutely lousy as a coach when it came to a defense and he would not give up control which resulted year in and year out in a worthless defense. McDaddy hasn't proven anything but I could not see him even close to letting the Broncos get close to 30 overall in defense. He will use his draft picks to fill in many of the holes in the D line and use some of his freed capitol to get some good free agents for the defense. The offense is still sound, even without Cutler.

He will use his draft picks to fill in many of the holes in the D line

Again- looking at his FA acquiisitions, what makes you think he understands what a front 7 D playmaker looks like?

use some of his freed capitol to get some good free agents for the defense.

What freed capital? Cutler wasn't a big cap hit and now DEN is going to have to pay for 2 1st round picks.

The offense is still sound, even without Cutler.

I have my doubts. I don't know how you replace Cutler's arm with Orton's and not make any other real impact on that side of the ball, plus face Marshall being suspended for multiple games, and not see a significant drop in O production even if McDaniels is an O wunderkind.

Edited by Bronco Billy

So when you say that he "is a little fragile in the psyche" that's unfair and actually untrue.

When he heard his name was bantied about in a possible trade he cried and pouted his way out of Denver I would call that a little fragile. Granted nobody wants to hear there name in trade talks , especially a young franchise type qb, but I think he went too far and acted like a bitch

Uh, the Bears relied on the run because their QB's have sucked balls for decades, they didn't have a choice. Things are going to change in Chicago now, you'll see.

I disagree . Franchises have philosophies that dont often change . When you think Chi you think run and D . I dont see them becoming air Coryeal (sp) any time soon. It is certainly an upgrade for Chi and I would be excited if I was a fan but I question the chemistry.

When he heard his name was bantied about in a possible trade he cried and pouted his way out of Denver I would call that a little fragile. Granted nobody wants to hear there name in trade talks , especially a young franchise type qb, but I think he went too far and acted like a bitch

I don't agree. Overly sensitive yes. Bitch no. Shanahan was his mentor and it was a loss but a few weeks after the firing he said he liked the McDaniels hire and thought it could be for the best. Have you seen McDaniels? Have you listened to him talk? :wacko:

I disagree . Franchises have philosophies that dont often change . When you think Chi you think run and D . I dont see them becoming air Coryeal (sp) any time soon. It is certainly an upgrade for Chi and I would be excited if I was a fan but I question the chemistry.

I agree. The Monsters of the Midway were called that for defense and running in the cold in Chicago.

Of course it does help to have a QB that can throw the ball there. I thought Orton did that very well last year.

I agree Randall that McDaniels has been a trainwreck . I guess I am just shocked because it is not often you see a young very good franchise type QB get traded like this. It is just hard to comprehend and I have no dog in this race. It was handled horrificly by Denver brass and Cutler

Edited by whomper

I agree Randall that McDaniels has been a trainwreck . I guess I am just shocked because it is not often you see a young very good franchise type QB get traded like this. It is just hard to comprehend and I have no dog in this race. It was handled horrificly by Denver brass and Cutler

That's very true. He said he would show up for mandatory activities but it appears Bowlen was tired and decided to support his new head coach.

The real stud QB's never get traded. What would Aikman or Staubach (or Favre or Elway) be worth in their primes?

From the Chicago teleconference-

Here are some selected comments from Bears general manager Jerry Angelo, made a short while ago in a teleconference with reporters:

(On the trade going down)

"I came to the conclusion in talking to (coach) Lovie (Smith) and (team president) Ted (Phillips) as well as ownership that I felt like we needed to pursue this, and if we decide to get in it, we need to get in it to win it."

(On getting that elusive franchise QB)

"It has been something that has been my goal for the organization and felt this was the right thing to do."

(On whether what happened in Denver concerns him)

"I don't personally have any concerns. I know Lovie and I talked about that. We did a lot of work on his days in Denver going back to his days as Vanderbilt. We have one of our area scouts, Rex Hogan, who lives right in the Nashville area, really developed a great rapport during the process prior to the draft (with Cutler). We felt that he's a very good person, a good leader, he had some things that happened in Denver, we recognize those, but we treated them as speed bumps. He's highly competitive, highly emotional and that just comes with the territory."

(On whether he now has the best QB in the NFC North)

"Well, we're going to have to wait and see how he plays. We feel good about who he is obviously, we made a tremendous commitment, but he's got out there and do it. And he's up for the challenge, I know that from talking to him. He's excited about being in the NFC, he's excited about being a Chicago Bear, and that's what the starting point will be for Jay Cutler."

Again- looking at his FA acquiisitions, what makes you think he understands what a front 7 D playmaker looks like?

I'm not exactly sure yet, but as I said, it would be hard to be as bad as Shanahan was.

What freed capital? Cutler wasn't a big cap hit and now DEN is going to have to pay for 2 1st round picks.

They cut many of their high priced aquisitions on the defense that did crap last year. Dry is a prime example which was costing the franchise a bazillion dollars for no production.

I have my doubts. I don't know how you replace Cutler's arm with Orton's and not make any other real impact on that side of the ball, plus face Marshall being suspended for multiple games, and not see a significant drop in O production even if McDaniels is an O wunderkind.

Cutler amrs was awsome, but also extremely eratic. He was netorious for getting in a pickle and throwing inerceptions. He will be great, but Orton was in a really bad scheme last year and actually produced very well.

Cutler amrs was awsome, but also extremely eratic. He was netorious for getting in a pickle and throwing inerceptions. He will be great, but Orton was in a really bad scheme last year and actually produced very well.

When you say "in a pickle", do you mean the defense put him into a bad passing situation? The lack of a consistent running game? Because in 2 years, 5 games Cutler passed for 9000 yards, 54 TDs and 37 INTs. How many INTs were tossed trying to make something happen in a catch-up game, no thanks to the defense and running game?

Orten is no Cutler, Denver made a HUGH mistake here starting with the firing of Shanny and hiring of the McD.

Are you Bears fans that are saying Orton will be good the same ones that have been bashing him when he was a Bear? :D Too funny.

This sucks balls as a Vikes fan. :D

The Bears are now a legitimate playoff team while Minnesota wastes away all the talent they have on their football team dicking around with a disaster at the QB position. Can someone in Minnesota kick Childress in the nuts if they see him. It's becoming harder and harder to be a Vikes fan. :wacko:

every football fan, not just viking fans .........think the the same thing!!!

When you say "in a pickle", do you mean the defense put him into a bad passing situation? The lack of a consistent running game? Because in 2 years, 5 games Cutler passed for 9000 yards, 54 TDs and 37 INTs. How many INTs were tossed trying to make something happen in a catch-up game, no thanks to the defense and running game?

Orten is no Cutler, Denver made a HUGH mistake here starting with the firing of Shanny and hiring of the McD.

Exactly. What was Cutlers record when the defense allowed fewer than 20 points? The Bears do have a defense.

I would have kept Shanny, stripped him of GM duties and made him hire an independent defensive coach like Nolan, but I'm not the owner.

:wacko:

It's nothing short of amazing to me to hear people criticize Cutler for his faults while pimping Orton on his QB capability. You'd swear that's there's no more than a slight difference between the two guys.

Cutler threw for over 4500 yds last year. His production was the 17th highest passing season in NFL history, and he was the third youngest player in NFL history to reach the 4500+ passing yard plateau, behind only Marino & Bledsoe. When you're talking about QBs capable of amassing 4500+ passing yards in a season, you talking about an excluive club populated by names like Marino, P Manning, Brady, Warner, Fouts, Moon, & Lomax - some of the greatest passing QBs ever to play the game. And this is in only his 3rd year. Cutler is still in his learning curve as a QB.

Did DEN's poor D contribute to Cutler' success last year? No question, but the point is that he reached a plateau that is astounding, and in his third year joined an elite group of QBs who have had a 4500+ passing yd season - a club that only has only 13 members in the entire history of NFL play. He's going to get better with age, learning to read coverages better and when to check down through his progression.

A guy like Cutler doesn't come along very often. It's why CHI offered what it did and is being applauded for acquiring Cutler - and why other clubs were putting up similar packages to acquire him. The gap between Cutler's ability as a QB and Orton's is wide. Hell, the most common adjectives I'm hearing when Orton is described are "serviceable" and "capable". That's a long, long ways from being in Cutler territory.

Make no mistake, DEN took a large step backwards. The only way this pans out as being even close to a fair deal is if at least 2 of those acquired draft picks from CHI turn into perennial Pro Bowlers. Broncos fans trying to put some kind of positive spin on this to make themselves feel better are whistling through the graveyard. This will be the McDaniels/Xanders regime trademark blunder, and one Broncos fans will talk about for decades, unless they have a PIT-like draft the next 2 years.

Edited by Bronco Billy