[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cutler to the Bears

keggerz

Just watched the live McDaniels news conference and he seems like an extremely hard headed man. Not so sure I'd be happy with him as my HC but ya gotta love the balls the guy has and the enormous pressure he has taken on by trading away the franchise QB.

He seems like someone who wants to make Denver the Patriots west top to bottom. He didn't build that franchise though. He seems naive but driven.

Having balls doesn't work if your plans are not good ones. If he fails I hope he recognizes it and adjusts.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Until the draft plays out, you can't really say that can you? I mean sure, it looks EXTREMELY stoopid now. But 5 years down the road?

Yes, I can. Again, there's a reason teams were falling all over themselves to put together a good enough package - minimum two 1st rounders plus - to get Cutler.

Yes, I can. Again, there's a reason teams were falling all over themselves to put together a good enough package - minimum two 1st rounders plus - to get Cutler.

When half the NFL was interested I thought Denver should have said "Wait a second. Maybe we're making a big mistake"

This could be Favre leaving Atlanta for Tony Smith. :wacko:

It'll be interesting to see what kind of relationship Cutler and Turner will have, considering their history back in college.

Turner's over a barrell: Angelo just made one of the biggest moves in Chicago Bears history (that is not hyperbole and does not need to be a "wait and see" thing before labelling it that) and Cutler is now THE MAN there. Turner's been on the hot seat since the end of 2007 and this does not lessen the pressure on him one bit.

It'll be interesting to see what kind of relationship Cutler and Turner will have, considering their history back in college.

From Profootballtalk

As a high school senior in southern Indiana, Cutler accepted a scholarship to Illinois where Turner was the head coach at the time. Cutler committed without visiting campus, though, and when he arrived for an official visit Turner reportedly pulled the offer.

“When Jay went for his official visit, the coach told him they were rescinding the offer because they had some hot-shot quarterback from California,” Heritage Hills athletic director Jay Burch told Denver Post columnist Woody Paige.

Illinois wound up signing Mike Dlugolecki, who wound up transferring to San Diego State. And Cutler had turned down offers from Purdue, Duke and Maryland to go to Illinois before winding up at Vanderbilt.

“It’s not right,” Jake Cutler, Cutler’s father, told ESPN.com. “I still have a bitter taste in my mouth.”

In the past, Turner has denied that Illinois rescinded the scholarship offer because Cutler was never made an offer.

Obviously, they’ll need to rehearse their lines a bit before the press conference today.

he is going from the worst uniform in all of sports to the best uniform in all of sports

:wacko: The Bears don't need throwback uniforms because they wear them every day.

I wouldn't change them a lot but they could use a decent font change.

for the record i am not an orton hater, just think he is an average qb... and not a guy i'd want to build a franchise around. he is a fine backup, but as i said earlier, i don't think den's qb answers are with simms and orton. when you think about trades and trying to fill needs, i just think this is pretty poor value for a young proven qb. it's common knowledge that den lack a consistant running game and a defense that couldn't stop a hs fb team. cutler will now get both, but currently has no wr's to thorw to...... burress, holt, boldin, ....... possiblities are nice. on the denver side of this. i know they have picks, but drafts are risky... should have gone for proven talent at least on some level.

i would think if your a broncos fan you got to love this trade

Nope. I'm not upset to have Orton in the short term, but he'll be a hugh drop off from Cutler. The 1st round picks are nice compensation on paper, but 18th and something similar next year is not a solid bet to return value.

Cutler is a very promising talent and I'm pissed the Broncos let him whine himself out of Denver.

I think it is less of the fact that they let him "whine" his way out and more that the Broncos (specifically McDaniels) REALLY didn't want him anymore. There's much worse people that complain, such as Chad Ocho Cinco last year, that don't get away. Apparently, the Broncos didn't believe in them, because they didn't really try that hard to fix it either.

Edited by CD6405

I think it is less of the fact that they let him "whine" his way out and more that the Broncos (specifically McDaniels) REALLY didn't want him anymore. There's much worse people that complain, such as Chad Ocho Cinco last year, that don't get away. Apparently, the Broncos didn't believe in them, because they didn't really try that hard to fix it either.

+1

What surprises me is the owner let a 32 year old, first time head coach dictate all of this change.

Denver IS NOT better off, and i cannot believe too many Denver fans are happy about getting 2 draft picks for a proven talent. There is a much better chance that both picks turn into servicable players at best than it is they have 1 (let alone two) Cutler level talents from it.

Cutler's an ass.

Denver fans should be OK with what they got for him. Cutler created a lot of this himself.

He could've remained in Denver but he chose to handle it how he did. Move on.

And at the same time, Chicago should be excited. The kid's got the physical tools. I'm sure he'll mature soon enough.

:D Coming from a guy whose team is lead by Phillip Rivers. :wacko:

Another message board had a thread asking "Who is the guy that annoys you the most in the NFL ?"

Cutler got a few votes, as did others, but, the run-away winner was Philip Rivers, and it wasn't even close.

Edited by Menudo

As a Denver fan, I'm not really happy about this, but I am trying to look at this in the most positive light possible. First, I think people are too quick to anoint Jay Cutler as the next Peyton Manning. Talented? Yes. Physical skills? Yes. But does anyone believe he has proven to be a winner when it counts? For instance, Cutler got bailed out by the refs in that SD game in week 2 last year... He fumbled away the ball game, and there's no other way about it. Also, anyone remember the Miami game last year when the 73-yd TD to Marshall was called back on a penalty? Maybe it's just me, but he didn't seem to let that go the rest of the game, and they ended up losing a winnable game. I'm not going to cite play after play to defend my opinion of Cutler, but he just doesn't seem like a great leader or even a great teammate. It's something he can probably grow out of with the right coaching, but certainly something he needs help with.

I'm not deluded to think either Orton or Simms is anywhere near as talented or valuable as Cutler, but when I think about the fact that Cutler was going to have to learn McD's offense this year anyway, I wonder if he would have thrived or regressed as a result? We'll never know, but it's pretty clear that Cutler didn't want the system he already knew to go away, as he was plenty vocal about that. Besides, Denver isn't going anywhere unless they improve on defense - this gives them a better shot of doing so within the next couple of years.

So we move on... We hope for the best, we look forward to the draft, and we pray that the Denver Broncos survive being Josh McDaniels' guinea pig.

:D

Oh, and the fact that the Lions are the other team I follow closely makes this trade doubly suck. It will be interesting to see how Cutler fares with a more balanced offense and solid running game. I suspect he'll do well, even if he doesn't grow up. Plus, I think having vested in the Lions has given me better perspective on the Broncos - I mean, no matter how bad it gets in Denver, it ain't Detroit. Right? :wacko:

First, I think people are too quick to anoint Jay Cutler as the next Peyton Manning. Talented? Yes. Physical skills? Yes. But does anyone believe he has proven to be a winner when it counts? For instance, Cutler got bailed out by the refs in that SD game in week 2 last year... He fumbled away the ball game, and there's no other way about it. Also, anyone remember the Miami game last year when the 73-yd TD to Marshall was called back on a penalty? Maybe it's just me, but he didn't seem to let that go the rest of the game, and they ended up losing a winnable game. I'm not going to cite play after play to defend my opinion of Cutler, but he just doesn't seem like a great leader or even a great teammate. It's something he can probably grow out of with the right coaching, but certainly something he needs help with.

Wow-- So, in Elway's first 3 years (83-85) when he was lining up behind the Guard and throwing 52 INTs to 47 Tds (plus 27 fumbles, 10 lost), was he a proven winner yet? Or did it take until 87, when he won his first playoff game but got schlacked in his first of 3 Superbowl losses?

My point is, Cutler just finished his second full season and has thrown for 9000+ yrds. You guys finally had a great replacement (skill wise) for Elway to build upon, and you traded him in hopes of finding another. How can you really question whether or not he is a "proven winner" yet?

I hate to admit it as a Raider fan (well, now that he's gone i don't mind), but you had "the guy". He would have grown into the winner you seem to think he wasn't, since carrying that team himself on talent alone wasn't enough.

I'd like to thank Brad Childress for "staying the course" with T. Jackson. :D

Brad Childress said the Vikings were not among the clubs involved in trade discussions with Denver for Pro Bowl quarterback Jay Cutler, who was dealt to NFC North rival Chicago on Thursday.

"He's a good player, and obviously I don't question his physical skills," the Vikings coach said Friday. "But obviously it will be what he can do in relationship to the team to help the team. ... Are they going to be able to match their offense up to what he can do offensively? I think there's kind of a ferreting-out period."

:wacko:

Childress was back in the Twin Cities Friday but said he spent time Thursday with Pro Bowl defensive end Jared Allen in Las Vegas. Allen recently returned to the United States after being in the Persian Gulf with other NFL players on a USO/Armed Forces Entertainment Tour. Allen then spent time with Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald Jr. on vacation abroad.

LINK

Edited by Randall

Wow-- So, in Elway's first 3 years (83-85) when he was lining up behind the Guard and throwing 52 INTs to 47 Tds (plus 27 fumbles, 10 lost), was he a proven winner yet? Or did it take until 87, when he won his first playoff game but got schlacked in his first of 3 Superbowl losses?

My point is, Cutler just finished his second full season and has thrown for 9000+ yrds. You guys finally had a great replacement (skill wise) for Elway to build upon, and you traded him in hopes of finding another. How can you really question whether or not he is a "proven winner" yet?

I hate to admit it as a Raider fan (well, now that he's gone i don't mind), but you had "the guy". He would have grown into the winner you seem to think he wasn't, since carrying that team himself on talent alone wasn't enough.

I totally agree. I wish someone would run the numbers and calc the odds of finding another qb in the draft that has thrown for an may yards, tds, and wins in his fist couple of years. Manning, maybe, ever?

FWIW, I qualified my post as being extremely optimistic. I know it isn't all rational. You're right about Cutler. Given how young he is, we don't know what heights he is going to reach. I think that's the point I was trying to make... Good as he has been the majority of the time, he's not quite "there" yet (but pretty close). The odds seem in favor of Cutler having success going forward and lots of it. I guess his apparent immaturity and attitude present the only wedge of doubt. Oh, that and his health (read: diabetes).

Edited by MTSuper7

:D Coming from a guy whose team is lead by Phillip Rivers. :wacko:

Another message board had a thread asking "Who is the guy that annoys you the most in the NFL ?"

Cutler got a few votes, as did others, but, the run-away winner was Philip Rivers, and it wasn't even close.

Please. I've mashed this many times and people are either too ignorant to understand or too arrogant to listen. What else besides the Cutler feud backs this up? I've LOVE to hear it.

Please. I've mashed this many times and people are either too ignorant to understand or too arrogant to listen. What else besides the Cutler feud backs this up? I've LOVE to hear it.

just opinions