[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Passes away?

Furd

What's the deal with this "passes away" thing?

When somebody dies, they die. They're dead. D-E-A-D.

:wacko:

I agree here. But the "nice" think to say is passes away. A lot of religious people feel they are passing to the next life.

I say you are worm meal.

I don't think it really has much to do with any religious outlook ("passed on" would be a different story)...I think it just avoids some of the harshness and finality. seems like an awfully silly thing to whine about; dealing with death is probably harsh and final enough as it is without people browbeating you about trying to soften the blow in so trivial a way as how you refer to it.

To me, it just sounds a little light for a man to be saying it, particularly to another man and particularly about someone he doesn't know.

I didn't mean to offend so many delicate sensibilities. A good cry might help with that. But you already knew that.

Meh. Everyone deals with death in their own way. Some folks want to slowly ease their way into the pool of cold water, letting it inch its way up past their nads, feeling every little bit or torment that the moment can bring while others prefer to dive in face first and take the full force of the blow all at once.

To me, it just sounds a little light for a man to be saying it, particularly to another man and particularly about someone he doesn't know.

I didn't mean to offend so many delicate sensibilities. A good cry might help with that. But you already knew that.

Maybe your ghey alter ego will come along and give you a monologue on class. :wacko:

I do think it's a matter of belief system. Some folks don't believe death in this life us the end, so a phrase like passed away or passed on is more fitting. To others, when you're dead, you're dead - there's just no getting around it.

:meow:

oh I see, it's an issue of manliness now. ok, howie long. well, be careful you don't step in any of that bullmanure you're wading around in....wouldn't want to get any on your fancy $300 shoes, mr. manly man.

Well guys, at the risk of offending...I have to say this. We avoided using euphemisms for death in hospice. Coming to terms with the finality of death is certainly difficult to do, however, it is important. For someone who's grieving a new loss, it may indeed be especially difficult to hear the semantics bandied about. There are millions of things that are hard to see, hear, read, etc, and you're never quite sure what the thing is that might trigger memories of the loved one you're missing.