[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Most Important Sports moment from when you were a kid....

Brooklyn_Rob

So my servers are down at work today, and I'm just youtubing sports clips from when i was younger...so sorry if this has been asked before...but..

What is your most IMPORTANT sports memory from when you a child...what is that one moment that made you realize how much you love sports....

Mine was Game 6 of the 86 world series... I was there with my father as a 4 year old...and only in the last month of the season, and then starting to watch with my dad all the time did i start to understand just how huge of a deal it was. From then on i have been nothing but a sports junkie...

Edited by Brooklyn_Rob

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watching one of my pinup poster ladies getting tripped in the 1984 Olympics. Watching her train in person in Eugene, I was flat out in love with her. Only then did I realize I was a true sports junkie and in love at 15 all at the same time.

http://www.nytimes.com/specials/olympics/h.../decker-run.jpg

She got hosed by the fact that she was rushed into the spotlight at the age she was. At 15, she was already our best distance runner but not so much on the international level. They should have held her back and turned her loose when she was truly ready rather than running her into the ground as a kid. She might have amounted to more than she ultimately did.

I understand it's tough to not push your best runner forward but it's not unlike baseball pitchers. If you've got some 18 year old kid who's your 3rd best pitcher, that doesn't mean you shouldn't baby him a bit.

Likely when a gritty diabetic named Bobby Clarke brought the Stanley Cup to Philly in 1974. I was 7, but was fortunate to have an older brother that lived and died Philly sports.I was a sports fan for life after witnessing the city explode with passion.

:wacko: 1974 and 1975, so you were 7 for the second one.

So my servers are down at work today, and I'm just youtubing sports clips from when i was younger...so sorry if this has been asked before...but..

What is your most IMPORTANT sports memory from when you a child...what is that one moment that made you realize how much you love sports....

Mine was Game 6 of the 86 world series... I was there with my father as a 4 year old...and only in the last month of the season, and then starting to watch with my dad all the time did i start to understand just how huge of a deal it was. From then on i have been nothing but a sports junkie...

Game 5 of the '86 ALCS when Hendu hit the HR. Sox win in 7 games.

A shame they cancelled the World Series that year :wacko:

Mine has to be the first Broncos game I remember watching - '77 or '78 (I was 6 or 7). They were playing the Colts in Denver in a great snow storm - it was snowing here, so I felt connected to the game. Denver was down by 15 at the half and came back to win on Craig Morton's arm. :wacko: I've been a Broncos fan ever since.

USA v. USSR Olympic hockey was awesome as well.

Watching Dr J take off from behind the 3 point and free throw lines for a dunk.

Inspired me to great heights (sorta). I eventually was able to regulation dunk at 5 foot 6. Used to jump over picnic tables the long ways. No chance of me ever dunking from behind the free throw line though. Sigh...

Gettng Paul Molitor's autograph at the 82 World Series after a game 4 win. (9 years old)

Don Sutton tossed a ball up to me and my brother in the bleachers before game 7.

(Even though I was at Game 7 of the WS, I think Game 3 has turned out to be the most important sports moment to me (along with the 1980 US hockey team's win over the USSR). We had spent the night outside the stadium with my dad (and thousands of other people) to get tickets for the game. We ended up watching Game 3 on a tiny black and white television set with dozens of other people. I still get chills when I think of the thousands of voices echoing off the downtown buildings with chants of "Willie... Willie... Willie..." after Willie McGee hit his second home-run and made his dazzling, home-run saving catch.)